PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:35 pm

Topper wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Not to mention Florida vs FSU and Clemson vs S. Carolina are already great rivalry games being played every year despite those schools being in different conferences. The renewal of the Texas vs Texas A&M will be good for the SEC as well as their having Texas vs OU

Yes, and arguably Arkansas will be in an enhanced position in their Texas recruiting. Arkansas can make any rivalry a bitter one and for so many years their game with UT was one of the biggest of the season for both teams. As a fan I'm glad to see it resume.

And once again, virtually everyone becomes Texas' rival!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:36 pm

UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mtrout » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:07 pm

EastStang wrote:https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1633531978762035200?s=46&t=qKPHmYFWRwb-2TbFHHQy4g

Good meeting everyone still committed to stay together.

Sad.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:05 pm

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/yormark-discusses-big-12-media-rights-expansion-and-more
According to this article. The Big XII has talked to Gonzaga, but is "focusing on other areas right now".
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 pm

mtrout wrote:
EastStang wrote:https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1633531978762035200?s=46&t=qKPHmYFWRwb-2TbFHHQy4g

Good meeting everyone still committed to stay together.

Sad.

Huh? What is sad? Do you appreciate what is happening? Every pony prayer from the last quarter century is being answered. Gonna be one heck of a celebration.
ponyboy

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:43 pm

EastStang wrote:https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/yormark-discusses-big-12-media-rights-expansion-and-more
According to this article. The Big XII has talked to Gonzaga, but is "focusing on other areas right now".

AS GSR said, CBB used to be sold separately, not entirely a new concept and certainly possible. Big 12 is about prioritizing and monetizing it over the next 10 years and it is both a little crazy and ingenious. A lot depends on what happens with the NCAA and the tournament too.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:28 am

FroggieFever wrote:
EastStang wrote:https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/yormark-discusses-big-12-media-rights-expansion-and-more

AS GSR said, CBB used to be sold separately, not entirely a new concept and certainly possible. Big 12 is about prioritizing and monetizing it over the next 10 years and it is both a little crazy and ingenious. A lot depends on what happens with the NCAA and the tournament too.

College basketball draws flies in ratings relative to football.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 am

EastStang

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 am

https://twitter.com/markharlan_ad/status/1634059452373688320?s=46&t=qKPHmYFWRwb-2TbFHHQy4g

Utah AD weighs in. So Big XII trolls need to crawl back into your caves.
EastStang

Postby redpony » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:42 am

if any of the PAC12 schools went to the b12 it would triple the IQ level of the other b12 schools.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:51 am

Sort of like the Aggie moving to Oklahoma.
EastStang

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 am

Article today in The Athletic says SMU and BYU should flourish in their P5 future with NIL. Assumes we are invited to the PAC12. Good news.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:49 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

College basketball draws flies in ratings relative to football.

I agree but bundling yields even less. Like I said, crazy and ingenious.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:41 am

FroggieFever wrote:
I agree but bundling yields even less. Like I said, crazy and ingenious.

Who is going to pay a premium for a conference's basketball rights? Maybe a streaming/subscription service or a linear platform that's not ESPN or a major network. TNT/TBS could be an option. But I doubt the current big players are going to want to incentivize conferences splitting up their media rights by sport and getting more money.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Aztecgolfer » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:41 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:a few things...

Utah has said their association with the PAC-12 did wonders for their recruitment of students and professors and overall academic improvement. For this reason, i.e. Academics, if there is no more poaching or relatively little additional poaching of the PAC, I could see the remaining schools staying together until the next great reset occurs with the ACC schools. That would potentially give SMU a ~decade of PAC membership.

San Diego St makes the most sense for PAC expansion as there are too many wealthy PAC alumni in So Cal. Plus a defensive measure against the B12.

In this scenario, I suspect SMU is ahead of Fresno St due purely to academics.

If another Texas school got a PAC invite, I would prefer Rice over Coogs. My bet is the decision makers at these PAC schools feel the same way.

Neither Fresno, Boise or UNLV are getting more than a casual look by the PAC and none of them will be added. Out of those three, only UNLV may come close to the academic standards of the PAC but their football program sucks. Early on, I thought the PAC would be well served adding Hawaii as football only with Gonzaga but I've not heard anything of the sort being discussed. SMU would be an aggressive, offensive move into Texas. If that happens then I think further expansion, either now or in five/six years, would be more in Texas along with Tulane. If UNLV were to get its act together athletically and improve its academics (like some on here have said about UTSA, UNLV, despite have R1 status and a medical school, isn't considered a very good school academically), then they could get a look in 2029/2030.
Aztecgolfer

PreviousNext

Return to Football