PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby peruna81 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:44 pm

USC was originally a Methodist school as well. Others have pointed this out here.

The politicization of religion within the last 50 years has had the effect of driving academia (and others) to a ground of rejection of all things of faith. While UCLA and USC are on an exit strategy, I doubt seriously that the deciding factor in our acceptance or rejection in the PAC (whatever) is contingent on Perkins School of Theology, or even our school name.

By my own admission, I am distinctly biased on this subject...retired last Sunday after 48 years as a Southern Baptist minister. I took courses at Perkins while an undergraduate with permission from both SMU and Perkins. Dr Farmer's Attic Greek class taught more than just cases of nouns and aorist tense...there was discussion even back in 1979 that SMU was "no more Methodist than I am a Chinese astronaut" as he opined. Something lost? IMO, yes. Was something gained? Absolutely. That said, SMU has not been integrally involved and associated with the United Methodist Church's work and under its formal leadership and authority in quite some time.

A message board on SMU football isn't designed to be a forum on faith (or lack thereof).. but it doesn't exempt it either. The single unifying feature I glean from here is that I can join folks who I couldn't agree with on any part of politics/faith/money or the future and instead support my Mustangs alongside them.

BTW, I am praying that we kick TCU's arse in September...
Last edited by peruna81 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Amen brother!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldmins » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm

peruna81 wrote:USC was originally a Methodist school as well. Others have pointed this out here.

The politicization of religion within the last 50 years has had the effect of driving academia (and others) to a ground of rejection of all things of faith. While UCLA and USC are on an exit strategy, I doubt seriously that the deciding factor in our acceptance or rejection in the PAC (whatever) is contingent on Perkins School of Theology, or even our school name.

By my own admission, I am distinctly biased on this subject...retired last Sunday after 48 years as a Southern Baptist minister. I took courses at Perkins while an undergraduate with permission from both SMU and Perkins. Dr Farmer's Attic Greek class taught more than just cases of nouns and aorist tense...there was discussion even back in 1979 that SMU was "no more Methodist than I am a Chinese astronaut" as he opined. Something lost? IMO, yes. Was something gained? Absolutely. That said, SMU has not been integrally involved and associated with the United Methodist work and under its formal leadership in quite some time.

A message board on SMU football isn't designed to be a forum on faith (or lack thereof).. but it doesn't exempt it either. The single unifying feature I glean from here is that I can join folks who I couldn't agree with on any part of politics/faith/money or the future and instead support my Mustangs alongside them.

Just curious. Is "arse" a Methodist or a Baptist word? Maybe Attic Greek"?
"
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby 3rdGenPony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm

peruna81 wrote:USC was originally a Methodist school as well. Others have pointed this out here.

By my own admission, I am distinctly biased on this subject...retired last Sunday after 48 years as a Southern Baptist minister. I took courses at Perkins while an undergraduate with permission from both SMU and Perkins. Dr Farmer's Attic Greek class taught more than just cases of nouns and aorist tense...there was discussion even back in 1979 that SMU was "no more Methodist than I am a Chinese astronaut" as he opined. Something lost? IMO, yes. Was something gained? Absolutely. That said, SMU has not been integrally involved and associated with the United Methodist Church's work and under its formal leadership and authority in quite some time.

Well said and congratulations on your retirement. Go Mustangs!
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby crispy_taco » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:01 am

I am willing to bet everything I own that any supposed “religious connotations” (if you can even call it that) of SMU do not matter at all to the PAC. I am also skeptical of religious affiliations having any weight in PAC decisions that some are speaking of. That may have been true 2 years ago, but it is no longer binding.

I may be the idiot here… but do y’all really think that, if for SOME reason, notre dame comes calling to the pac that they will be turned away???? You’re telling me that because notre dame is Catholic that the PAC will not accept NOTRE freaking DAME? I understand notre dame is in a completely different ballpark than us or any other team. But I’m just saying this to illustrate that everyone has a price.

The PAC is in a situation right now where they have to stay alive as well as formidable. The PAC may have liked to “stay out of religion” or “turn their nose up” at religion (whichever it may be), but those days are gone in my opinion. They have to do what’s necessary to make money and I just don’t think they give a damn about religion when their dollars are in jeopardy. Some people speak of PAC adding Gonzaga as a basketball only school. Important to note that Gonzaga is Catholic

Also, I’m not saying that SMU is necessarily the answer to the PACs future, but I hope we are
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am

crispy_taco wrote:I am willing to bet everything I own that any supposed “religious connotations” (if you can even call it that) of SMU do not matter at all to the PAC. I am also skeptical of religious affiliations having any weight in PAC decisions that some are speaking of. That may have been true 2 years ago, but it is no longer binding.

I may be the idiot here… but do y’all really think that, if for SOME reason, notre dame comes calling to the pac that they will be turned away???? You’re telling me that because notre dame is Catholic that the PAC will not accept NOTRE freaking DAME? I understand notre dame is in a completely different ballpark than us or any other team. But I’m just saying this to illustrate that everyone has a price.

The PAC is in a situation right now where they have to stay alive as well as formidable. The PAC may have liked to “stay out of religion” or “turn their nose up” at religion (whichever it may be), but those days are gone in my opinion. They have to do what’s necessary to make money and I just don’t think they give a damn about religion when their dollars are in jeopardy. Some people speak of PAC adding Gonzaga as a basketball only school. Important to note that Gonzaga is Catholic

Also, I’m not saying that SMU is necessarily the answer to the PACs future, but I hope we are

I know I am biased as a Catholic, but Catholicism with all its warts is perceived much differently than LDS by mainstream culture. Also, ND is on another level even compared to BYU.
mustangxc

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 am

Just saw a breaking news report that Texas, and Oklahoma won’t be joining the SEC until 2025.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:18 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Just saw a breaking news report that Texas, and Oklahoma won’t be joining the SEC until 2025.

Yeah, they've been completely unable to break the GOR, and apparently not willing to offer enough money to amend it to let them out (which if I'm the Big 12, I want the full amount anyway).

Agree with the above that the value of the school to the conference matters most (ahem, Notre Dame), but it will matter to any conference except the $EC, and moreso to the PAC than anyone else, whether the school in question is controversial. BYU and Baylor are. Notre Dame and SMU (and TCU for that matter) are not.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:19 pm

Oldmins wrote:

By my own admission, I am distinctly biased on this subject...retired last Sunday after 48 years as a Southern Baptist minister. I took courses at Perkins while an undergraduate with permission from both SMU and Perkins. Dr Farmer's Attic Greek class taught more than just cases of nouns and aorist tense...there was discussion even back in 1979 that SMU was "no more Methodist than I am a Chinese astronaut" as he opined. Something lost? IMO, yes. Was something gained? Absolutely. That said, SMU has not been integrally involved and associated with the United Methodist work and under its formal leadership in quite some time.

Just curious. Is "arse" a Methodist or a Baptist word? Maybe Attic Greek"?
"

Homage to my Scottish roots...
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crispy_taco » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:41 pm

Mustangxc, I never said anything about BYU. I also said I understand that ND is in a completely different ballpark than us as well as 99% of CFB. I was simply arguing that there are not really any schools that the PAC would reject right now on religious grounds.

For that matter U of Utah is really just diet BYU and they’re in the PAC.
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby mtrout » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:40 am

Rejecting us on religious grounds is code for “you haven’t won anything and your fan base is tiny”.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby crispy_taco » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 am

mtrout wrote:Rejecting us on religious grounds is code for “you haven’t won anything and your fan base is tiny”.

EXACTLY. If any of us, God forbid, use that excuse then they are simply coping. Hopefully we just get in.
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:22 pm

Dukie wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Just saw a breaking news report that Texas, and Oklahoma won’t be joining the SEC until 2025.

Yeah, they've been completely unable to break the GOR, and apparently not willing to offer enough money to amend it to let them out (which if I'm the Big 12, I want the full amount anyway).

Agree with the above that the value of the school to the conference matters most (ahem, Notre Dame), but it will matter to any conference except the $EC, and moreso to the PAC than anyone else, whether the school in question is controversial. BYU and Baylor are. Notre Dame and SMU (and TCU for that matter) are not.

I think it is most interesting that they spent months negotiating with the conference about the exit fee, finally came to an agreement, and then it was the networks that said "nope". The networks get such high value out of the current contracts that they are holding everyone tight to the GOR. It tells you how much the valuation of sports has risen over the past 10 years.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:32 pm

Live sports will continue to rise given that it is the only event that is DVR proof. Nobody wants to watch a series or movie with ads and can avoid them by simply watching on delay. In the case of sports, nobody wants to watch on delay and so will watch with ads for the sake of watching live. That makes sports an increasingly valuable property and with each streaming service needing lots of programing it is logical that the value will continue to increase.
mustangxc

Postby peruna81 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:23 pm

mustangxc wrote:Live sports will continue to rise given that it is the only event that is DVR proof. Nobody wants to watch a series or movie with ads and can avoid them by simply watching on delay. In the case of sports, nobody wants to watch on delay and so will watch with ads for the sake of watching live. That makes sports an increasingly valuable property and with each streaming service needing lots of programing it is logical that the value will continue to increase.

Agreed.
Curious to see how technology will open additional revenue streams...back a scant 15 years ago, streaming was a theoretical concept that was in infancy, and now challenges to become the leading form of entertainment access. The thought of additional revenue streams looms big on each of these deals, and especially in locking down GOR.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football