PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:02 pm

Water Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:If SMU gets an invitation from the Pac 12, will they likely also consider inviting Houston at the same time, to gain a foothold on the two largest cities in Texas? With great basketball as well, for more inventory and a larger western footprint?

Houston would be ideal Texas partner, but that ship has sailed with their acceptance of a Big XII invitation. If PAC-12 adds two schools only, they will invite San Diego State and SMU. Gonzaga has been mentioned recently to strengthen BB.

The question is how many will PAC-12 want to add at this time. If 4, you could make a case for Tulane and another MW school, e.g. Boise State and Fresno State. BTW, I saw BigXII might add a Pacific Time Zone school, Fresno State.

Step one, PAC-12 needs to finalize Media Deal, such as Amazon Prime, who would influence which schools and markets add value to the deal. Time will tell.

Don't be too sure, if the PAC-12 media deal exceeds the Big 12, they could jump. But only if the PAC adds 4 to keep up with the Big XII, the ACC, the AAC, and the Sunbelt. Remember when TCU spurned the Big East in favor of the Big XII?
Last edited by SMUstang on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:06 pm

SMUstang wrote:
Water Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:If SMU gets an invitation from the Pac 12, will they likely also consider inviting Houston at the same time, to gain a foothold on the two largest cities in Texas? With great basketball as well, for more inventory and a larger western footprint?

Houston would be ideal Texas partner, but that ship has sailed with their acceptance of a Big XII invitation. If PAC-12 adds two schools only, they will invite San Diego State and SMU. Gonzaga has been mentioned recently to strengthen BB.

The question is how many will PAC-12 want to add at this time. If 4, you could make a case for Tulane and another MW school, e.g. Boise State and Fresno State. BTW, I saw BigXII might add a Pacific Time Zone school, Fresno State.

Step one, PAC-12 needs to finalize Media Deal, such as Amazon Prime, who would influence which schools and markets add value to the deal. Time will tell.

Don't be too sure, if the PAC-12 media deal exceeds the Big 12, they could jump. But only if the PAC adds 4 to keep up with the Big XII, the ACC, the AAC, and the Sunbelt.

They can only jump if they haven't signed the binding Big XII paperwork yet.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyEnergy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:16 pm

SMU
Houston
Tulane
SDSU
Boise St
UNLV

Would make a solid 16 team conference spread over 3 time zones with great destinations and good academics! A man can dream!
PonyEnergy
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:44 pm

Give me SDSU and SMU in a new PAC-12 and I’ll be over the moon.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:08 pm

PonyEnergy wrote:SMU
Houston
Tulane
SDSU
Boise St
UNLV

Would make a solid 16 team conference spread over 3 time zones with great destinations and good academics! A man can dream!

I'm sure this will end up on bad takes exposed... but you guys really need to know how important academics are. The state school system in california is really looked down on by the UC system. Inviting SDSU will take a LOT of convincing. But there is NO WAY that UNLV or Boise will make it into the PAC. They are awful schools. IF they decide to expand, it is SMU and then either SDSU or Tulane.

As for the Big 12, the question is if they have signed the TV agreement with GOR yet.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:11 pm

If you were Houston, would you go PAC-12 over B12? No way in hades I would.
ponyboy

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:35 pm

No Big 12 teams are leaving. They are locked into the new GOR. Any discussion about that is pointless.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:13 pm

you guys really need to know how important academics are. The state school system in california is really looked down on by the UC system. Inviting SDSU will take a LOT of convincing. But there is NO WAY that UNLV or Boise will make it into the PAC. They are awful schools. IF they decide to expand, it is SMU and then either SDSU or Tulane.

As for the Big 12, the question is if they have signed the TV agreement with GOR yet.

Sounds like Rice might have a better shot than Houston from what JasonB said
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:03 pm

SMUstang wrote:you guys really need to know how important academics are. The state school system in california is really looked down on by the UC system. Inviting SDSU will take a LOT of convincing. But there is NO WAY that UNLV or Boise will make it into the PAC. They are awful schools. IF they decide to expand, it is SMU and then either SDSU or Tulane.

Despite Rice's lack of athletic commitment, they would be a great academic addition. Imagine Rice, SMU, Tulane, and San Diego State. Three geographically (TX and LA) in the Central Time Zone. U. of Houston would add with FB and MBB, but they aren't available. SDSU provides a large market in Southern California and the UC presidents would reluctantly accept them.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm

JasonB wrote:I'm sure this will end up on bad takes exposed... but you guys really need to know how important academics are. The state school system in california is really looked down on by the UC system. Inviting SDSU will take a LOT of convincing. But there is NO WAY that UNLV or Boise will make it into the PAC. They are awful schools. IF they decide to expand, it is SMU and then either SDSU or Tulane.

True, normally UC schools don't want to associate with CSU schools. However, times are different. In SDSU's favor:
1. They recently secured the ability to grant doctoral degrees (an important step).
2. Their president has three degrees from UC Berkeley and wants to elevate the institution.
JasonB wrote:As for the Big 12, the question is if they have signed the TV agreement with GOR yet.

Considering the silence since the deal was announced, it's likely not all the schools have signed.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:50 pm

SMUstang wrote:you guys really need to know how important academics are. The state school system in california is really looked down on by the UC system. Inviting SDSU will take a LOT of convincing. But there is NO WAY that UNLV or Boise will make it into the PAC. They are awful schools. IF they decide to expand, it is SMU and then either SDSU or Tulane.

If Houston has signed the GOR, then yes, Rice has a better shot at Houston. But UNLV and Boise are way worse schools than Houston, it doesn't compare.
JasonB

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:57 pm

Just my guess, but absent a GOR signed TV agreement, I think the PAC-12, with a larger TV agreement than the Big XII, will gobble up Kansas, Oklahoma State, BYU or Iowa State, Gonzaga, and Kansas State. Then the Big XII will backfill with SMU and Tulane to remain at 12.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:03 pm

SMUstang wrote:Just my guess, but absent a GOR signed TV agreement, I think the PAC-12, with a larger TV agreement than the Big XII, will gobble up Kansas, Oklahoma State, BYU or Iowa State, Gonzaga, and Kansas State. Then the Big XII will backfill with SMU and Tulane to remain at 12.

That’s a very bad guess

The existing B12 schools have the same exit fees that UT & OU have, plus by leaving now, they miss out on collecting UT & OU’s exit fees. Not certain on the amount, but I’ve read $80M per school

On the other hand, we don’t know if Coogs have signed or not. If they prioritize academics over athletics, they might consider PAC, but i doubt it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:14 pm

I don't think the PAC will be adding any G5 schools, but we'll see.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 am

SMUstang wrote:I don't think the PAC will be adding any G5 schools, but we'll see.

What choice do they have. If they add it will be G5. Nobody is jumping for the same money. And there is no way the big 12 even announced the new members without knowing they are locked.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football