PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:25 pm

If the PAC is doomed as you suggest. Then why go to all of the trouble to negotiate a new media rights contract? When OU and UT leave, the Big XII will be back to 12 teams. if you think that adding SDSU and SMU will be enough to hold the PAC together, then I want some of what you are smoking. The PAC wouldn't have to negotiate a new media contract to do that.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:25 pm

I would guess if they DON'T expand they are doomed to a merge at some point. The expanded playoff would appear to save all the current P5 leagues in some form until the ACC breaks up. It seems easier to get in the playoff with 6 conference champions than from a league with 20 or more teams. So yes, I think expanding to SDSU and SMU would a positive the PAC. Let's hope that's what they are thinking as well.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby DallasMustang11 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:I think the Sun Belt should grab Alabama and Notre Dame.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:43 pm

Doesn't the PAC make more sense for BYU? And nobody in the SWC/Big XII cared for Houston. And how many times has SMU and SDSU been passed over by the Big XII and the PAC repectively? And would adding all of these schools make up for losing USC and UCLA?
Last edited by SMUstang on Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:52 pm

SMUstang wrote:Doesn't the PAC make more sense for BYU? And nobody in the SWC/Big XII cared for Houston. And how many times has SMU and SDSU been passed over? And would adding all of these schools make up for losing USC and UCLA?

Let's see..
Yes
True
Several...although being "passed over" is generous re the Big 12..we never were seriously under consideration

No. Not even close.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:43 pm

- There is no concept of surviving or not surviving. The expansion of the playoff eliminated that concern. It is all about maximizing value at this point.
- Right now, the Pac 12 has the choice of whether or not it wants to expand. If there is a threat of another team ever leaving, at that point it WON"T have a choice. One of the driving factors behind PAC 12 expansion will be whether or not they think someone could leave (which probably hinges on the size of the media contract they get), and also how likely they think other schools might expand and poach potential targets. SMU, a like-minded school with a great academic reputation is available now. Will they be available in 6 years when someone starts coming for Washington, Oregon, or the Arizona schools? Maybe not. That plays a part, because they don't want to get stuck with horrible academic institutions as a desperation measure.
- Also, expansion doesn't necessarily mean equality. They could have SMU join at a much lower revenue tier and have it earn its way up to equality.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:04 am

Sounds like the PAC should either stand pat or add Gonzaga and SDSU and be done.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:18 am

SMUstang wrote:Sounds like the PAC should either stand pat or add Gonzaga and SDSU and be done.

You realize Gonzaga doesn’t play football — right?

SMU delivers the central time zone which the PAC should definitely want. Thats why we are in the conversation. To answer your previous question - BYU is too overly religious for the PAC and they are contracted long term with the Big 12 - so no need to keep bringing them up.

Also 12 teams are needed to get scheduling that makes sense, have two divisions, and also to get enough content that there are bidders for the package - that is why you see every other major conference going to 12 at a minimum.
gostangs

Postby mtrout » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:20 am

gostangs wrote:
SMUstang wrote:Sounds like the PAC should either stand pat or add Gonzaga and SDSU and be done.

You realize Gonzaga doesn’t play football — right?

SMU delivers the central time zone which the PAC should definitely want. Thats why we are in the conversation. To answer your previous question - BYU is too overly religious for the PAC and they are contracted long term with the Big 12 - so no need to keep bringing them up.

Also 12 teams are needed to get scheduling that makes sense, have two divisions, and also to get enough content that there are bidders for the package - that is why you see every other major conference going to 12 at a minimum.

Neither does Wichita State. What is the AAC going to have now? 13 football teams? I think the PAC-12 wants to add SDSU and SMU about as much as I want to add broccoli to my Dairy Queen.

I don't know what Amazon is waiting for though. I need same day delivery on media deal / realignment.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:22 am

gostangs: Does the PAC need the central time zone enough to add SMU? Both the Big 10 and the AAC successfully played with 11 teams, no problem. Divisions are passe. Gonzaga is going to either the PAC or the Big XII. If I were the PAC, I would insure it was us.
Last edited by SMUstang on Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:33 am

JasonB wrote:- There is no concept of surviving or not surviving. The expansion of the playoff eliminated that concern. It is all about maximizing value at this point.
- Right now, the Pac 12 has the choice of whether or not it wants to expand. If there is a threat of another team ever leaving, at that point it WON"T have a choice. One of the driving factors behind PAC 12 expansion will be whether or not they think someone could leave (which probably hinges on the size of the media contract they get), and also how likely they think other schools might expand and poach potential targets. SMU, a like-minded school with a great academic reputation is available now. Will they be available in 6 years when someone starts coming for Washington, Oregon, or the Arizona schools? Maybe not. That plays a part, because they don't want to get stuck with horrible academic institutions as a desperation measure.
- Also, expansion doesn't necessarily mean equality. They could have SMU join at a much lower revenue tier and have it earn its way up to equality.

The expanded playoff is a big plus for schools like SMU. But if we stay in the AAC which is really just a glorified Missouri Valley Conference, we won't attract the kind of players we need to compete at the hightest levels. I really don't look forward to playing any of the teams on our conference schedule and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks that expanding our stadium to play them makes sense.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:19 pm

The 12 team playoff comprehends the champions from each conference plus 2 at large choices which will probably be the 2nd choice from the B1G and SEC conferences. That benefits SMU only if SMU wins the AAC. I thought that the Missouri Valley Conference was FCS, am I wrong? I think we are doing quite well with the transfer portal now.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:22 pm

SMUstang wrote:The 12 team playoff comprehends the champions from each conference plus 2 at large choices which will probably be the 2nd choice from the B1G and SEC conferences. That benefits SMU only if SMU wins the AAC. I thought that the Missouri Valley Conference was FCS, am I wrong? I think we are doing quite well with the transfer portal now.

The 12-team format will feature, in order, the top four conference champions, followed by some combination of the top six at-large bids and two highest-ranked remaining conference champions. Teams will be ordered based on the College Football Playoff rankings.

So the top 4 champions, 6 at large (SEC/Notre Dame), and two highest ranked conference champions. That doesn't leave a lot of room for AAC, Sunbelt, or MAC eg. as probably the the remaining P5 Champion will be higher ranked. Looks like most years the AAC, Sunbelt, MAC whatever will get one of their champs in the playoffs. Better than nothing but still how do we compete with the P5 teams for talent?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 pm

We don’t seem to be having a problem bringing in talent at the moment. But otherwise, I agree.

Ready to join the P5 and play as a big boy again.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:22 pm

ponyboy wrote:We don’t seem to be having a problem bringing in talent at the moment. But otherwise, I agree.

Ready to join the P5 and play as a big boy again.

Aye..
The amazing thing about programs like Alabama has been their ability to not only attract talent, but to develop it as well.

One more step back to relevance will be that ACROSS the team, not just the skill positions.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football