PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Sleeping Giant

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Sleeping Giant

Postby 3rdGenPony » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:26 pm

I suspect no one has filed an anti-trust lawsuit because they are still holding out hope of being included. Once the door completely closes on the "have nots", let's see what happens.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:12 pm

BUS wrote:They have 25 k per player per year now.

Yes they do Bus, Tech committed $2.5M to NIL FB.

When the dust settles, i think that will be a below average payout for what they are trying to accomplish. We shall see.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:22 pm

BUS wrote:They have 25 k per player per year now.

Not a criticism with the support of any SMU donor, just putting a little perspective on the amount of money alleged per player.

In the late 1970s, $25,000 wasn't enough to buy a better than average defense lineman.

That said, I think SMU can chip away at the lower end of the P5 conferences on that amount. And that might be enough to attract attention of the Big Boys to invite SMU to the cartel.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:The NCAA is a corrupt organization and akin to a cartel. I'm surprised there are no legal minds in the U.S. that have not stopped the cartel-like behavior of college athletics. How in the world is it possible for some schools to be allowed access to certain income streams, and not others, and it's not market-based. If it were market based, you wouldn't see some of the schools associated with current P5 programs. It's all political, and it's all based on the large state schools, which by the way get funded by us taxpayers. Everyone should have access to the same market, and if certain schools can get more income, than so be it, but don't block schools from competing fairly unless they get invited to the party by other schools that have played dirty for decades.

You are absolutely correct about the NCAA being a corrupt if not criminal organization. But most of what is going on right now is controlled by the networks not the NCAA. Georgia and OU sued many years ago to take TV contracts out of the hands of the NCAA and they won.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:18 pm

"All cartels are inherently unstable."

- John Stieber
Cox Professor of Economics.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football