PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible fate of the ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Possible fate of the ACC

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 pm

You Beetljuiced me, lol. Jim Phillips was an outstanding AD who maybe got Peter Principled to the commissioner job. He seems to have a bad case of the "shoulds." I do think that SMU perfectly matches his vision, though.

Fun fact, the infamous "Crying Northwestern Kid" who became a viral meme is his son. You can tell this family is VERY passionate about sports: https://youtu.be/mBCMfBXzQDw
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:06 am

what an idiot

he sounds like a modern day version of Ken Pye, completely out of touch with reality.

Don Quixote is the last person you want navigating these challenging times.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smubrooks » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:33 am

The power brokers will squeeze every dollar they can out of college sports until they eventually destroy it. Sports in general are losing fans and viewers, college football more so, due to the insane, out of control spending and a day of reckoning is on the horizon. If they continue to build their "gated community" then eventually only the people in that community will give a $h!t. They are driving fans away and there will be catastrophic consequences for the have nots with huge empty stadiums, low sports revenue, super high tuition and fleeing donors. Way to go capitalism, you are devouring yourself.... Merica!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:13 am

mustangxc

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:25 pm

Bidding war for SMU between ACC and PAC12! Thank goodness we turned down BIG12 and won't be stuck in that soon to be G5 conference.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby MDJenkins » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Unfortunately Hart is a buffoon and likely to make a mess of things. Unless it’s served up to him on a silver platter, he’ll find a way to tee off people with his arrogance.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:06 am

Apparently Hart plays nice with others as he chairs the AD committee of the AAC. As much as it rancored us that the allowed UNT into the AAC, he might have had an inkling that we would be leaving soon and wanted to make sure the AAC kept a Dallas presence. Hopefully, he, Turner and our insiders are working the phones with ACC presidents and P12 presidents, ESPN and Fox to secure us a place in one of those conferences. Our hoops are competitive. Our football is competitive with either of those conferences despite G5 status. We are in a Top 4 media market. We have two NFL Owners who have teams that have deals with Fox and ESPN and Clark Hunt chairs the finance committee. Further the First Lady of Virginia is a Mustang and two members of the ACC are state schools in Virginia. She could put in a polite call to their Presidents as well. The Governor appoints members of the Boards of Visitors of those schools. This requires a full court press.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 am

WS- good comments. Totally agree with your comments. Hopefully we are in 'full court press' mode. Prefer the ACC but will be glad with either conference.
redpony

Postby Topper » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:00 pm

I can see the following shakeout:

North Carolina and possibly Kansas to Big 10. Both AAU flagship state schools.

Clemson and Florida State to SEC. Huge alum bases and great natural rivals.

I don't think that the SEC wants 3 teams in Florida so Miami stays in the ACC. SEC might be interested in Virginia Tech but not Big 10. SEC will not want Georgia Tech which will stay in ACC.

Big 10 will have no interest in Pitt, Syracuse or BC. ACC will have some attractive programs even if the big two depart.

It would be great to get into the ACC under this scenario, especially if we could get a travel partner in the region. I suspect Rice, Tulsa and Tulane would not be welcome in the ACC. Memphis would certainly be welcome if it academics were better.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:57 pm

I don’t see that Topper.

Either the P2 will remain static (least likely) or add 2 or 4 teams each.

P2 candidates: ND, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Fl State, N Carolina, Virginia, VTech, Miami

After that, we will be left with either 3 remaining P5 conferences (least likely), 1 conference (B12 only) or 2 conferences (B12 & PAC/ACC merger).

Worst case for us….P2 goes 20 each. B12 takes 4 corner schools + Miami, VTech Pitt & N Car St.

We would be left with Oregon St, Wash St, Syracuse, BC, GA Tech, Wake Forest & Duke…a kinda coast-to-coast Magnolia Conference of misfits.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Topper » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:24 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I don’t see that Topper.

Either the P2 will remain static (least likely) or add 2 or 4 teams each.

P2 candidates: ND, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Fl State, N Carolina, Virginia, VTech, Miami

After that, we will be left with either 3 remaining P5 conferences (least likely), 1 conference (B12 only) or 2 conferences (B12 & PAC/ACC merger).

Worst case for us….P2 goes 20 each. B12 takes 4 corner schools + Miami, VTech Pitt & N Car St.

We would be left with Oregon St, Wash St, Syracuse, BC, GA Tech, Wake Forest & Duke…a kinda coast-to-coast Magnolia Conference of misfits.

I see the Big 10 and SEC adding two teams each. But they will only add AAU teams that are state flagships. That would be Kansas and North Carolina. I don't see Big 10 wanting anyone else from the ACC assuming the SEC gobbles up Clemson and Fla. State. Neither are AAU. After that, what is the point? Why share revenue with Syracuse, Wake Forest etc if you are SEC or Big 10? As far as the PAC and Big 12 - who knows? At this point I would be surprised if we are in the sights of either. The ACC is the most likely bunch to want us if their best teams are poached.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:36 pm

It’s Kansas.

If they go the ‘we don’t give a flip about FB route’, i think Stanford and North Carolina are miles ahead of Kansas.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony81 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:54 pm

Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:57 am

That’s fascinating.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:40 am

Actually using his logic the two best choices are Houston and SMU for Market size, not Cincy. WVU has all the TV sets in WV. The state flower in WV is the satellite dish.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football