PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More Pac-12 speculation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More Pac-12 speculation

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:35 pm

from respected PAC journalist John Canzano:

Expansion is still out there, too. San Diego State is interesting because it brings 1.1 million TV households in Southern California. Also, it would allow the conference to play some “home” games in Los Angeles at SoFi Stadium, potentially. I think SMU is a potential No. 2 target, if the conference expands. I also think Houston is interesting, depending on whether it can wiggle out of its Big 12 commitment.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:03 am

No way I would “wiggle” if I was Houston. I understand those waters have been tested already.
ponyboy

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:35 pm

ponyboy wrote:No way I would “wiggle” if I was Houston. I understand those waters have been tested already.

Not so sure about that. PAC keeps Oregon and Washington and they are a far better conference than the Big 12 and will draw a better TV package. If membership came with a grant of rights that extended out a bit Houston would be good to listen. Would also elevate their school which they desperately need.
gostangs

Postby Comet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 pm

gostangs wrote:
ponyboy wrote:No way I would “wiggle” if I was Houston. I understand those waters have been tested already.

Not so sure about that. PAC keeps Oregon and Washington and they are a far better conference than the Big 12 and will draw a better TV package. If membership came with a grant of rights that extended out a bit Houston would be good to listen. Would also elevate their school which they desperately need.

Leaving a conference with high exit fees to join a conference with no exit fees, probably short GOR in the coming deal, a handful of schools ready to leave, likely similar TV payouts and you lose all the regional rivalry and notoriety that comes with Big XII schools? Houston is infinitely more valuable as a Big XII property than a PAC one.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:39 pm

Comet wrote:
gostangs wrote:

Leaving a conference with high exit fees to join a conference with no exit fees, probably short GOR in the coming deal, a handful of schools ready to leave, likely similar TV payouts and you lose all the regional rivalry and notoriety that comes with Big XII schools? Houston is infinitely more valuable as a Big XII property than a PAC one.

When the pac gets their new TV contract - for it to work than it will be a long term locked in deal with all the schools. Including Oregon and Wash. Otherwise it wont work. With them staying the PAC is worth more than the Big 12 - and by the way both conference are a couple schools leaving away from unstable. There is not one marque name in the Big 12. Not one. Over half the areas those schools are located in are junk for a TV contract. Exit probably too expensive for Houston but worth a listen for a conference upgrade.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 pm

For years the thought of relegation has come to mind. The lowest team in each conference gets relegated to one of the G5 leagues and the champion of that league gets promoted to P5 like they do in EuroSoccer. Now the idea is being floated by none other than Nick Saban.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-expansion-alabama-nick-saban-relegation
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:38 pm

EastStang wrote:For years the thought of relegation has come to mind. The lowest team in each conference gets relegated to one of the G5 leagues and the champion of that league gets promoted to P5 like they do in EuroSoccer. Now the idea is being floated by none other than Nick Saban.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-expansion-alabama-nick-saban-relegation

How condescending of Saban.

Being King of the SEC, he can say what he wants; but the path to this point is paved with the Salaries of P2/P5 head coaches. With unlimited Transfer Portals and NIL outside the control of universities, where are those who dedicated to the total welfare of college football, its traditions, and the interest of alumni and fans supporting those on the outside and exposed to the threat of being relegated out of P5 (or future super conferences)?

Future audiences may shrink, when the majority of fans and their teams may be demoted and/or lack sufficient funding to compete.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:25 pm

Last year: Cincy, UTSA, Ball St., San Jose St. Louisiana-Lafayette UP
Syr., Kansas, Illinois, Ariz., Vandy would drop down.

Cincy to the SEC Vandy to AAC
LaL to ACC Syr. to Sunbelt
UTSA to Big XII Kansas to CUSA
San Jose State to Pac 12 Arizona to MWC
Ball State Big Ten Illinois to the MAC

Funny thing, I'm not sure that Vandy or Kansas would get out any time soon.
EastStang

Postby fan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:45 pm

Not a ringing endorsement but at least a mention for P-12
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-m ... pac-12-9d2
fan
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am

fan wrote:Not a ringing endorsement but at least a mention for P-12
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-m ... pac-12-9d2

All he said is that stopping at 11 is an option and if that happens it's obvious that the PAC-Whatever would stop with SDSU. Then he mentions SMU as his favored 12th add ahead of Boise, UNLV, Fresno, etc. Much closer to a ringing endorsement than not, honestly.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:16 am

More speculation from Bleacher Report, I believe.

Following the latest shuffle, SMU is arguably the premier non-power program available. Boise State, Memphis and San Diego State have a case, but Dallas-area SMU easily has the largest market.

Although the Big 12 has twice passed on SMU in recent years, a potential Kansas departure may change the conversation. And if the Big 12 cannot attract Pac-12 programs, the Mustangs are an obvious fit.

Conversely, the Pac-12 could expand into Big 12 territory. While the politics of the situation may be a factor—look, it's fair to say California and Texas are generally different, right?—the athletic side is appealing. Beyond the local market size, the state is a recruiting hotbed. SMU also has a solid academic reputation.

The Mustangs are well-positioned to benefit from future realignment
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 am

I don't know if UH has signed anything yet, but they might be of interest to the PAC 12. Same goes for BYU. That would open things up for SMU in the Big XII. Lots of moving parts. Nice to be mentioned.
EastStang

Postby Blvd_Stang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 pm

I remember the euphoria I experienced when we were invited to the Big East.

I just hope we get invited to a big boy conference, and the conference stays somewhat intact.

If we stay in the new Conference USA, it will be a challenge for me to stay interested in football unless we are winning out.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:15 am

Blvd_Stang wrote:I remember the euphoria I experienced when we were invited to the Big East.

I just hope we get invited to a big boy conference, and the conference stays somewhat intact.

If we stay in the new Conference USA, it will be a challenge for me to stay interested in football unless we are winning out.

I 100% agree and I'm thinking the BMD think the same thing too where they are like it's a go big or go home. If we don't get it and we are stuck in this hell hole of a conference then I don't see a real desire to keep going.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:43 am

I think the sentiment would be that if we are not added to a Big Boy conference this round, we might as well suck it up and go FCS and join a bunch of schools our size like Villanova, William & Mary, UMass, Georgetown, Lehigh, Ivys and others. Maybe Rice, Tulsa and Tulane with join us. Less scholarships, no need to pay NIL fees, and less worrying about conference expansions and contractions. Or we simply get the G5's to host a National Championship of their own. 5 conference champions and three at large tournament. CUSA, AAC, SB, MWC, MAC. That's our choices if this doesn't happen.
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football