PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More Pac-12 speculation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More Pac-12 speculation

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:04 am

That would be the NIT of College Football
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:37 pm

EastStang wrote:I think the sentiment would be that if we are not added to a Big Boy conference this round, we might as well suck it up and go FCS and join a bunch of schools our size like Villanova, William & Mary, UMass, Georgetown, Lehigh, Ivys and others. Maybe Rice, Tulsa and Tulane with join us. Less scholarships, no need to pay NIL fees, and less worrying about conference expansions and contractions. Or we simply get the G5's to host a National Championship of their own. 5 conference champions and three at large tournament. CUSA, AAC, SB, MWC, MAC. That's our choices if this doesn't happen.

What would most people prefer...random bowl games between G5 teams that had winning seasons or a more meaningful playoff to determine who might be the "best of the rest"? That might be where things are headed once the Big Two decide whether they want to expand to 24 members each.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:36 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
EastStang wrote:I think the sentiment would be that if we are not added to a Big Boy conference this round, we might as well suck it up and go FCS and join a bunch of schools our size like Villanova, William & Mary, UMass, Georgetown, Lehigh, Ivys and others. Maybe Rice, Tulsa and Tulane with join us. Less scholarships, no need to pay NIL fees, and less worrying about conference expansions and contractions. Or we simply get the G5's to host a National Championship of their own. 5 conference champions and three at large tournament. CUSA, AAC, SB, MWC, MAC. That's our choices if this doesn't happen.

What would most people prefer...random bowl games between G5 teams that had winning seasons or a more meaningful playoff to determine who might be the "best of the rest"? That might be where things are headed once the Big Two decide whether they want to expand to 24 members each.

It's a bit like when the UIL split into what, 48 divisions with unique football champions at each level? (OK, it's about 12 total champions, not 48). But no one cares whether a school is 6A D-1 champions or 4A D-2 champions, they just love the playoffs and the titles. I care way more about the years when my FCS alma mater makes the playoffs than I do about low-level bowl games.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

It's near impossible for the SEC to encroach into B10 territory other than ND (which I find highly unlikely), maybe Pitt #26 TV Market or Cincinnati #36 TV Market???

The B10 on the other hand can easily enter SEC territory and go to the 3 crown jewels of recruiting: Texas, Florida and Georgia.

The B10 is currently in the Top 4 TV Markets, which is important to them.

If you expand to 24, invites could include SMU #5 TV market, Stanford #6 TV Market, GA Tech #7 TV Market and Miami #18 TV Market. You have your National Brand, will be able to recruit anywhere, and IMO become the superior conference.
SoCal_Pony

Postby fan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:22 pm

We come up once again in the last paragraph. Who knows. BIG may want more pac-12 teams before they sign their rights deal in which case we are screwed.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-t ... out-fixing
fan
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:28 am

fan wrote:We come up once again in the last paragraph. Who knows. BIG may want more pac-12 teams before they sign their rights deal in which case we are screwed.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-t ... out-fixing

It occurs to me that B1G10's predatory actions against the PAC12 (soon to be PAC10) have led to the University of California Regents awakening to their lack of control and oversight of their universities, including CAL.

Yesterday's open meeting on the decision and impact of UCLA's decision to leave the conference has revealed greater consequences for CAL, which is now at even greater risk, i.e., the potential collapse of the PAC12, if any more schools, like Oregon and Washington, are taken by the B1G10.

If the B1G10 wants to avoid destroying another conference, then they shouldn't take another school from the PAC12. This would ensure the continued viability of this west coast conference.

I am less concerned that the BigXII grabs any of the Arizona, Utah, and Colorado schools, since the perceived benefit of such a switch is much more modest.

So, the B1G10 needs to call a truce and allow the PAC12/10 to improve its media appeal and value, which keeps the remaining members committed.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:44 pm

The Big 10 announced the contract with FOX/NBC/CBS/Peacock and the addition of USC/UCLA was a barely discernible bump. A "little" over 1 Billion a year, as opposed to the speculated 1.5. Only the addition of ND will likely push that number, so the further addition of Oregon and UW may be a moot point at the moment.
now.
This could bode well for us, but again the question remains...Are we openly and behind the scenes presenting SMU as a viable commodity?

Anywhere...ANYWHERE but the AAC.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:55 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... h-2029-30/

I'm assuming this will leave ABC & ESPN to carry all of the SEC's "prime time" games and will probably relegate AAC games to ESPN 2 at best and more likely ESPNU/ESPNNEWS at some odd time slots. Prepare for SMU to be playing more weekday/night games to get any national exposure
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:29 pm

According to the Oregonian today,

Is the Pony Express exploring a potential return to the West Coast?

Less than four weeks after the Pac-12′s presidents and chancellors authorized the conference to “explore all expansion options” in the wake of UCLA and USC departing for the Big Ten, the president of Southern Methodist University called University of Oregon president Michael Schill, according to documents obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

The balance of the article is behind the paywall.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 pm

Today (08/18) in a Brett McMurphy article.

"Last month, Action Network reported the Big Ten would expand beyond 16 schools and was targeting Notre Dame, along with Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal from the Pac-12. Those plans have not changed, sources said this week."

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-ten-historic-media-rights-deal-expansion?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:55 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-12-commissioner-brett-yormark-210644569.html

If you go to the end, he's talking about adding teams that add value to the Big XII. I suspect that rules us out because they already have a DFW team. Looks like P12 or bust.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:Today (08/18) in a Brett McMurphy article.

"Last month, Action Network reported the Big Ten would expand beyond 16 schools and was targeting Notre Dame, along with Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal from the Pac-12. Those plans have not changed, sources said this week."

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-ten-historic-media-rights-deal-expansion?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

Action Network is a small-time company focused on sports betting. Annual revenues are $20-$40M, that’s laughable. I don’t know how they could have any inside information. Most likely they are speculating, just like everyone else.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Topper » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:10 pm

My guess I that Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford are going to the big 10 with today's announced TV deal. The Big 12 will swallow the 4 corners. And we are screwed.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am

Topper wrote:My guess I that Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford are going to the big 10 with today's announced TV deal. The Big 12 will swallow the 4 corners. And we are screwed.

Unless the TV deal had some "secret stipulations" that other schools are added, it would make no sense for the Big10 to add any more schools, that would just shrink everyone's piece of the negotiated pie.

I just don't see the Big10 adding anyone else but Notre Dame, if they can talk them into it.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:37 am

shadowman wrote:
Topper wrote:My guess I that Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford are going to the big 10 with today's announced TV deal. The Big 12 will swallow the 4 corners. And we are screwed.

Unless the TV deal had some "secret stipulations" that other schools are added, it would make no sense for the Big10 to add any more schools, that would just shrink everyone's piece of the negotiated pie.

I just don't see the Big10 adding anyone else but Notre Dame, if they can talk them into it.

The media reports that the deal would pay more if more schools join.
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football