PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More Pac-12 speculation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More Pac-12 speculation

Postby redpony » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:04 pm

jason- thanks for the info. I was a little concerned that might impact us on getting an invite to the P12.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby rodrod5 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:26 pm

redpony wrote:
Dukie wrote:
And there's zero chance they're seriously going to add Fresno State. Hell of a program over the years, tho the best years are receding fast in the rear view. But zero chance.

Possible problem with us in P12 is the ca. law about prohibiting state schools using state funds to travel to certain states and Texas is one of them. UCLA has the same problem as several b1G schools are on the list. Difference is that it is reported that a lot of UCLA alum will foot the bill for their travel expenses. Not so sure that would happen with some of the remaining schools.
Would really prefer the ACC but beggars can't be choosers. :)
Onward and upward.

several Big 10 states are on "the list" and Arizona (and I believe Utah as well) are about to be added to "the list"

the only thing that needs to happen is "media money" or "money from ticket sales" or "donor funds" need to be used for that travel it is only state dollars that are an issue

in the case of Cal (and UCLA surprisingly) they both have massive academic side subsidies, but even then I doubt it is "state funds" used for that it is from "tuition" and thus even using those funds to travel is not an issue

but the reality is the california public schools in the PAC 12 are going to have this (non) issue no matter the conference they are in including in the PAC 12 or the Big 10
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby fan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:31 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Make no mistake I will certainly take a PAC12 bid over staying in the now garbage town AAC.

I just think for stability, revenue, academic compatibility and overall culture: ACC is the conference and we have the thing they need a different time zone and large market.

Big 12 would be next hope before the PAC just for the fact it's regional and teams with history with us. The only reason the Big12 would entertain us is as purely a defensive move. There's nothing value added from our side other than improve in academic image.

ACC best fit for sure but they're not doing anything currently. The funny thing is they are essentially in the same spot as the PAC in that their 2-3 biggest "brands" want out.

For us we need to get cozy with Oregon State and Washington State. Those 2 are the most at risk if things fall apart so they are going to want to add as many teams as possible so if the big dogs leave they can collect some exit fees.
fan
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:03 am

fan wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Make no mistake I will certainly take a PAC12 bid over staying in the now garbage town AAC.

I just think for stability, revenue, academic compatibility and overall culture: ACC is the conference and we have the thing they need a different time zone and large market.

Big 12 would be next hope before the PAC just for the fact it's regional and teams with history with us. The only reason the Big12 would entertain us is as purely a defensive move. There's nothing value added from our side other than improve in academic image.

ACC best fit for sure but they're not doing anything currently. The funny thing is they are essentially in the same spot as the PAC in that their 2-3 biggest "brands" want out.

For us we need to get cozy with Oregon State and Washington State. Those 2 are the most at risk if things fall apart so they are going to want to add as many teams as possible so if the big dogs leave they can collect some exit fees.

There's no doubt the big 3 in the ACC want out but thankfully for the conference they have the GoR to keep them locked till 2036. They would never leave if that's intact and I don't know how you would convince the other schools to abandon if they don't have a place to go. The ACC is the most stable conference out of our potential choices.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:08 am

Article in The Athletic raised my eyebrows. Viewership in the PAC is far superior that of the Big 12. In a list not including defectors or newbies, Ok State is only #7 and TCU #9. Oregon, Stanford and Washington lead the list. Makes me think that ESPN is not going to undercut the PAC in negotiations and let some teams go to Fox and Big 12.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:28 am

UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Unless this is like the time before any professional draft, when every word from every GM is a lie, either for public consumption or to deceive competitors
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:29 pm

"We're trying to take our time and do this carefully. I can't tell you today whether we will expand or won't expand. We're taking a careful and deliberate look at schools that fit our academic profile in the Pac-12, that care deeply about the student-athlete experience ... and share the core values of the schools in the western part of the U.S."

Tell me how to rule out Boise State, UNLV, and Fresno State in once sentence.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:36 pm

Yep. I think they want to extend us an invite but worry about the nineteen other shoes that might drop soon.
ponyboy

Postby Pony81 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:55 pm

Actual leftover P12 and B12 viewership numbers:

https://theathletic.com/3444339/2022/07 ... ed_article
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:25 pm

What I can't figure is that if the Pac-10 are in 30 day negotiations with ESPN / Fox, wouldn't they try to get there structure set before finalizing the media negotiations? None of the media outlets, nor blogs are mentioning this, so I am missing something.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Boston Pony wrote:What I can't figure is that if the Pac-10 are in 30 day negotiations with ESPN / Fox, wouldn't they try to get there structure set before finalizing the media negotiations?

Agreed completely.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Rla1022 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:19 pm

Boston Pony wrote:What I can't figure is that if the Pac-10 are in 30 day negotiations with ESPN / Fox, wouldn't they try to get there structure set before finalizing the media negotiations? None of the media outlets, nor blogs are mentioning this, so I am missing something.

Fastest way to make things fall through is to rumor mill and release things. Just like leaving your current employer , nobody knows until you give your 2 week notice.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Boston Pony wrote:What I can't figure is that if the Pac-10 are in 30 day negotiations with ESPN / Fox, wouldn't they try to get there structure set before finalizing the media negotiations? None of the media outlets, nor blogs are mentioning this, so I am missing something.

It definitely started as a “find out the value of the remaining 10” exercise. I’m sure they can also run sensitivity cases to gauge potential additions as well.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby RunningStang » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:02 pm

Can we at least get the conferences with numbers to rename themselves to reflect the proper number of teams after this all over? :D :lol:
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football