PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Plan C: ACC, PAC12, Memphis & SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Plan C: ACC, PAC12, Memphis & SMU

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:55 pm

First, Big12 is a threat to the PAC12 as a predator, who would want to ensure its future by trying to kill off the PAC10, e.g. taking any combination of the the 4 Corner Schools (AZ, AZ State, Utah, Colorado) and in their wildest dreams, Oregon and Washington. I don’t think most of these schools want to be the cause of PAC12 implosion.

Second, the ACC should be equally concerned about the above possibility as their future would look darker with a Big12 separating itself from their PAC12 and ACC peers and becoming the third Super Conference. Also, I don’t see the SEC being that interested in adding two Florida schools, FSU and Miami and/or Clemson, which South Carolina would oppose. The dilution of the payouts to SEC members by adding any of these three schools probably isn’t viewed as actual value-add.

This brings me to Plan C for ACC, PAC12, and us. I believe the ACC and PAC 12 will collaborate to ensure each of them survive and maintain at lease parity with the Big12; thereby ensuring the P5 model persist. I imagine the ACC and PAC12 are or should be helping each other, by having the
PAC12 add San Diego State (to have a Southern California presence) and one other, e.g. Fresno State.

The ACC would then agree to add two Central Time Zone schools, Memphis and SMU. Big12 isn’t pursuing us for obvious reasons, as we are a growing threat in recruiting and Dallas. However, ACC would love to have a Texas footprint in this scenario, while adding Memphis, which will be spending $200m modernizing the Liberty Bowl and will bring a quality BB program too. In actuality, the Big12 would want to absorb Memphis before us in order to prevent the ACC from taking them. I believe the ACC and PAC12 need and will want to support the success of the other while limiting Big12 options in the future.

Finally, the ACC and PAC 12 could then cross schedule FB and perhaps consider a Championship Game ensuring further value for its schools candidacy in various College Bowl Playoffs scenarios. Plus, ESPN gains 4 time zones of sports content.

In summary, Plan C is a formal or informal collaboration between the two coast Conferences, which prevents the Big12 from pursing P3 status at the expense of both PAC12 and ACC. For SMU, we become a must add for either PAC12 or ACC with the ACC our likely destination.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Plan C: ACC, PAC12, Memphis & SMU

Postby Pony81 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:19 pm

That’s pretty much how I see it. Both ACC and PAC have to develop premier game inventory with their top schools to keep them happy. Pick up a couple of quality G5 ( SMU , SDSU, Memphis) on the cheap for more inventory and access to fertile recruiting area.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Water Pony wrote:First, Big12 is a threat to the PAC12 as a predator, who would want to ensure its future by trying to kill off the PAC10, e.g. taking any combination of the the 4 Corner Schools (AZ, AZ State, Utah, Colorado) and in their wildest dreams, Oregon and Washington. I don’t think most of these schools want to be the cause of PAC12 implosion.

Second, the ACC should be equally concerned about the above possibility as their future would look darker with a Big12 separating itself from their PAC12 and ACC peers and becoming the third Super Conference. Also, I don’t see the SEC being that interested in adding two Florida schools, FSU and Miami and/or Clemson, which South Carolina would oppose. The dilution of the payouts to SEC members by adding any of these three schools probably isn’t viewed as actual value-add.

This brings me to Plan C for ACC, PAC12, and us. I believe the ACC and PAC 12 will collaborate to ensure each of them survive and maintain at lease parity with the Big12; thereby ensuring the P5 model persist. I imagine the ACC and PAC12 are or should be helping each other, by having the
PAC12 add San Diego State (to have a Southern California presence) and one other, e.g. Fresno State.

The ACC would then agree to add two Central Time Zone schools, Memphis and SMU. Big12 isn’t pursuing us for obvious reasons, as we are a growing threat in recruiting and Dallas. However, ACC would love to have a Texas footprint in this scenario, while adding Memphis, which will be spending $200m modernizing the Liberty Bowl and will bring a quality BB program too. In actuality, the Big12 would want to absorb Memphis before us in order to prevent the ACC from taking them. I believe the ACC and PAC12 need and will want to support the success of the other while limiting Big12 options in the future.

Finally, the ACC and PAC 12 could then cross schedule FB and perhaps consider a Championship Game ensuring further value for its schools candidacy in various College Bowl Playoffs scenarios. Plus, ESPN gains 4 time zones of sports content.

In summary, Plan C is a formal or informal collaboration between the two coast Conferences, which prevents the Big12 from pursing P3 status at the expense of both PAC12 and ACC. For SMU, we become a must add for either PAC12 or ACC with the ACC our likely destination.

Agree and plan C should be plan A
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Any word on timeframe for above realignments to happen?
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:31 pm

The sexiest G5 are SMU, Memphis, SDS, Boise, AFA, Navy. Basketball only Gonzaga. If Big XII raids PAC for four schools. Add these six and you have a decent conference.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUFan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:16 am

If I'm Boise, I'd get pretty bent if SMU, San Diego State and Memphis move up and we don't. They have had an excellent football program and decent hoops for years.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby SMUvet » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:45 am

I don’t think that SEC has a typical zero sum rights agreement. I could be wrong but I think their agreement easily scales (accretive) and prevents dilutive frameworks to allow for easy expansion. Having a hard time finding the source for this.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby stlpony » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:13 am

A lot of wishful thinking. Let's not forget this timeline: Nov. 2010 TCU agrees to join Big East for 2012 football season; Oct. 2011, TCU changes its mind and goes to Big 12; exit fee to switch (as they were not a full-fledged member) was only $5M.

Before anything happens within the Pac-12 or ACC, those conferences will look at ALL schools that might be akin to find a better opportunity. A year from now, the four schools joining the Big 12 will have fewer options to reconsider.

In many ways, if either of these two conferences want a foothold in Texas, the University of Houston will be SMU's biggest threat. Otherwise, the hope is that these conferences want a larger presence in Texas...both Houston and Dallas!

If everything settles down and Pac-12 remains a viable conference and holds steady at 10 teams, this isn't all bad for SMU as I believe their long-term survival requires expansion.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:54 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:Any word on timeframe for above realignments to happen?

The assumption is August 4th, when the PAC12's 30-day Media window presumably closes. If they add two schools from this list, e.g., SDSU, Fresno, SMU, or UNLV, then the ACC would add two, likely Memphis and SMU, if the PAC12 doesn't take us first.

I hope the Big10 behaves itself and doesn't further damage the PAC12 by taking Oregon and Washington, who may be incented to stay and help keep the PAC12 viable and financially stable.
Last edited by Water Pony on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:31 pm

Water Pony wrote:
panhandle_pony wrote:Any word on timeframe for above realignments to happen?

The assumption is August 4th, when the PAC12's 30-day Media window presumably closes. If they add two schools from this list, e.g., SDSU, Fresno, SMU, or UNLV, then the AAC would add two, likely Memphis and SMU, if the PAC12 doesn't take us first.

I hope the Big10 behaves itself and doesn't further damage the PAC12 by taking Oregon and Washington, who may be incented to stay and help keep the PAC12 viable and financially stable.

Preventing the moves that would stabilize what’s left of the PAC seems to be precisely why the B1G commissioner made a random announcement today that they “might” not be done expanding:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:31 am

Cmon Big 10 destroy the PAC, Big 12 gets the southern pac schools and we get an ACC invite. That would be a dream come true.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 3rdGenPony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:48 am

I think any conference going away hurts our chances. We want as many seats at the table as possible so there is a chance we get one. Then we need to have enough time at the table to prove our worth before they start removing more seats again.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:35 am

3rdGenPony wrote:I think any conference going away hurts our chances. We want as many seats at the table as possible so there is a chance we get one. Then we need to have enough time at the table to prove our worth before they start removing more seats again.

I agree. The destruction of the PAC12 will hurt our changes as it would benefit the Big12, who would gain valuable brands and markets, as would the Big10 presumably with the best programs.

That would leave us with only the ACC as a possible suitor and that conference would be fighting to hang on to their most valuable members. If the pie shrinks, we would be left out.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 am

WP- agree. We need as many seats at the table as possible. The more seats the better our chances of moving up.

Now we just need to beat Md and pound the little froggies to get our season rolling.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 am

Agreed - To quote Major League we need to win the whole F'.... ng thing. Not only Maryland and TCU, but also Houston, Memphis, UCF, Navy all of them. Then the Big XII will have an Oh no moment. Our teams just lost to SMU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Football