PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Plan C: ACC, PAC12, Memphis & SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Plan C: ACC, PAC12, Memphis & SMU

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Then they’ll shed a small tear while counting their stacks of cash.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:40 pm

The whole conference shakeout is just that. The Big 12 is trying to make itself as viable as possible by trying to poach the best of the rest fromthe PAC 12 without losing any members to the Big 10. The ACC is trying to hold on to what it has. Personally, I think that the gravitational pull is going to be for Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, Clemson to go to the Big10 and SEC. The only thing that will keep Clemson, and Florida State in the ACC would be full partnership with Notre Dame. I think that Virginia Tech, Miami, Pitt, Kaansas, BC, Cal, Stanford and Virginia are bubble teams for one of the Big 2 conferences but I'm not sure how much value they add. If the networks say they add none- then those teams that don't make it will join Wake, Duke, Ga Tech, Syracuse, the West Coast cow colleges and us out in the cold. Miami and Pitt are over-rated entities btw. Please just get us out of the same conference as UNT.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:55 pm

I'm in Big10 Country and have a problem with Commissioner Warren's recent comment that further expansion remains open for them. Can anyone say it is good for college football to wipe out a conference, such as the PAC12? Predatory is the nicest word to use.

A writer at Bleacher Reports is more optimistic for SMU with assumptions that ND stays independent and the BIG10 selects Kansas and its market for expansion vs. the West Coast. He goes on to claim SMU is the best positioned to benefit in realignment. Fingers crossed! :wink:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... next-moves
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:22 pm

interesting report and good for us. However, I would obviously prefer PAC or ACC to b12. IMO our best fit is the ACC but it doesn't seem like they are planning on expanding anytime soon, unless of course they get raided and their GOR is a big impediment to that. This is going to be an interesting year.
redpony

Postby stlpony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Water Pony wrote:I'm in Big10 Country and have a problem with Commissioner Warren's recent comment that further expansion remains open for them. Can anyone say it is good for college football to wipe out a conference, such as the PAC12? Predatory is the nicest word to use.

A writer at Bleacher Reports is more optimistic for SMU with assumptions that ND stays independent and the BIG10 selects Kansas and its market for expansion vs. the West Coast. He goes on to claim SMU is the best positioned to benefit in realignment. Fingers crossed! :wink:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... next-moves

Even though I don't see Kansas being invited to B1G, I suspect if a single spot opened in the Big 12, it would go to either Boise State or Memphis. They are both new markets for the conference and one also becomes a travel partner for BYU. With that said, when all expansion teams are looked at individually, SMU is getting the most press nationally...we are the only readily available team being discussed as an option for all three P5 conferences.
stlpony
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football