PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll: Conference preference?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Conference preference?

The American
No votes
ACC
51%
Big 12
10%
PAC-12
36%
Other (explain)
3%

Total votes : 80

Re: Poll: Conference preference?

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:39 am

Steven,

You and Water Pony are both correct.

I will add a bit more.

The PAC & ACC schools have much higher academics, which matters to a school such as SMU.

So IMO, the best case scenario is for us to latch on to the PAC now with hopes of eventually being part of a left-over PAC/ACC merged conference.

Won't be ideal for Ford, will be much better for Moody than our current situation, will be (relative to B12) significantly better for our academics.

And in the end, that’s not not bad trade-off.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:46 am

Water Pony wrote:Steven,

Welcome to the Board. I suspect most Ponyfans agree with you that the BigXII is most appropriate, perhaps desirable. However, the reality is that Baylor, Texas Tech, and most notably, TCU will not support our invitation. Our potential and key location in the heart of Dallas is a threat to them and doesn't add as much with respect to new markets. Simple reality check.

As a result, ACC or PAC12 are our most likely destination, if either expand.

SMU's invitation to the Big 12 would have to be the same route that TCU took. We need to become a national power and force our way in. If we could become very relevant on the national stage, and fairly quickly, I could see the Big 12 throwing us an invite to keep the other big boys from inviting us and getting a foothold in the Dallas/Texas market.

A long shot, but the most viable path.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:56 am

Regional logic notwithstanding, games against Kansas and Kansas State don't move the excitement needle even a little.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 pm

shadowman wrote:If we could become very relevant on the national stage, and fairly quickly, I could see the Big 12 throwing us an invite to keep the other big boys from inviting us and getting a foothold in the Dallas/Texas market.

lol, if that is the case, we might lprefer the Big Boys offer over B12.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:19 pm

The Big 10 and SEC (and obviously the networks) will ultimately dictate how things shake out. Would be interesting if the Big 10 and SEC work together to destroy both the PAC and ACC as they grow to 24 members each, leaving the Big XII (16 with the AZ, ASU, Utah & Colorado) and the "American" (a coast to coast hybrid composed of leftover PAC and ACC schools along with some AAC schools). I could see it happening but still think Notre Dame is the key player. If the ACC tries to protect itself by offering Notre dame full member benefits AND allowing them to keep their NBC TV deal, they can remain the # 3 power broker in college football.
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:46 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
shadowman wrote:If we could become very relevant on the national stage, and fairly quickly, I could see the Big 12 throwing us an invite to keep the other big boys from inviting us and getting a foothold in the Dallas/Texas market.

lol, if that is the case, we might lprefer the Big Boys offer over B12.

Hell, I would be happy with anyone, but I still feel our best fit is to be in the same conference as Baylor, TCU, and Houston. Right now that is the Big 12, but could obviously change down the road.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:16 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:ACC is the only stable of the three conferences. Get TCU and Baylor to jump with us and that would give them a good Texas market.

ACC won't be stable for very long.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:42 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:ACC is the only stable of the three conferences. Get TCU and Baylor to jump with us and that would give them a good Texas market.

Why do you say that? Their GOR goes out forever. Very hard to impossible to leave that conference.
gostangs

Postby PK » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 pm

I would prefer Big XII because of old rivalries, but the PAC XII is a better option than ACC assuming they can keep it together. With all the people moving here from California it should be easier to fill Ford than with fans from ACC since there are not that many moving here from the east coast.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:14 am

gostangs wrote:
MustangStealth wrote:

Why do you say that? Their GOR goes out forever. Very hard to impossible to leave that conference.

The ACC GOR can be broken if multiple (6?) schools request to depart at the same time.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Comet » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:34 am

CA Mustang wrote:The ACC GOR can be broken if multiple (6?) schools request to depart at the same time.

That seems like quite the ask. Not impossible by any means but definitely quite an ask.

FSU, Clemson to SEC?
North Carolina, Duke, Virginia to B1G?

That leaves a few decent teams like VT, GT and Miami with potential options for the P2
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:10 pm

I’m done with wishing we were in this conference or that conference. Just continue to kick TCU’s [deleted] on a perennial basis as long as they have the balls to schedule us and that’s good enough for me.
That would my preference at this point.
The rest will take care of itself.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 am

All this wishful thinking is just that...until this program can prove it is a legitimate Top 25 program and actually win an AAC Championship. Beat TCU (again) this year and win at Maryland, take care of business in the AAC and play well enough to actually win games in November and other conferences might finally take notice (after the networks give SMU more prime time games on their most visible stations)
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:08 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:I’m done with wishing we were in this conference or that conference. Just continue to kick TCU’s [deleted] on a perennial basis as long as they have the balls to schedule us and that’s good enough for me.
That would my preference at this point.
The rest will take care of itself.

I think that most of us who follow Ponyfans want SMU football to play at the highest level. Being in a respectable power conference will help us recruit, raise donations, and magnify our profile. Membership in a power conference means that big name schools that people actually want to see will play on an annual basis at Ford. I don't know if you noticed, but we cannot regularly schedule power conference schools for non-conference games here. As it stands, we get one decent crowd per year and its either UNT or TCU
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:00 pm

If no chance on Big 12, id have to wait and see which teams are left in PAC and ACC. Would hate to go to PAC and then top half of the teams bolt for Big 12 and Big 12.

ACC how it currently is would be awesome.

But even bottom half of the current PAC + MWC and a few top remaining AAC is better than the new AAC with freaking Charlotte, UAB and UNT
PNW_Stang
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football