PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pac-12 Media Day: Actively Exploring Expansion Opportunities

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pac-12 Media Day: Actively Exploring Expansion Opportunities

Postby stlpony » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:29 pm

During George Kliavkoff's opening remarks (and again reiterated the same during Q&A), he stated the four criteria being considered for expansion:
1. Media Value
2. Athletic Strength
3. Academic & Cultural Fit
4. Geography from a Recruiting and Student Athlete Experience Standpoint

If you want to listen to it directly, it is around the 10:20 mark.
https://pac-12.com/videos/2022-pac-12-f ... -kliavkoff
stlpony
Scout Team

Re: Pac-12 Media Day: Actively Exploring Expansion Opportuni

Postby Topper » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 am

The problem with the Pac 12 is that everyone knows that Washington and Oregon very badly want to jump ship to the Big 10 as do Stanford and Cal. If that happens, and I think it is likely to be in the next few years, then what is left is a conference that would be further raided by the Big 12. SMU should not get stuck in a Pacific and Mountain time zone conference with a vastly decimated conference. Look to the East for better opportunity.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:34 am

First, even a decimated P-12 is better than our situation next year. Secondly, it all depends on the details. How long will the new grant of rights be? How big will the exit fee and entrance fees be? Is this a marriage or is this a green card wedding? If we're invited to a conference that has a high entrance fee, no real firm commitments from the members to stay or no real penalties if they leave, then we should pass.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 am

Topper wrote:The problem with the Pac 12 is that everyone knows that Washington and Oregon very badly want to jump ship to the Big 10 as do Stanford and Cal. If that happens, and I think it is likely to be in the next few years, then what is left is a conference that would be further raided by the Big 12. SMU should not get stuck in a Pacific and Mountain time zone conference with a vastly decimated conference. Look to the East for better opportunity.

1) i feel certain the B10 & SEC will have an equal amount of schools in each conference.

2) i feel confident the SEC will not expand to the West Coast.

for these reasons, i think it’s doubtful the B10 takes all 4 PAC assets you listed above, that would preclude them from taking any ACC properties….unless each P2 goes to 24 schools at which point SMU is royally screwed.
SoCal_Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:18 am

ES- agree. However our current choices are very limited. IMO ACC will do nothing and their GOR is an impediment to schools leaving. The PAC is not in a good position and we seem to be getting less consideration for an invite. Worse case is that we are stuck in this crap conference with no easy way out.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:34 am

Top non-P2 / non-B12 properties

Tier 1 (9) - ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Clemson, Fl State, North Carolina, Miami, Virginia

Tier 2 (11) - Virginia Tech, GA Tech, Cal-Berkeley, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, N Carolina St, Duke, Pitt, Louisville

Tier 3 (11) - SMU, Memphis, BC, Syracuse, Wash St, Oregon St, SD St, Boise St, Service Academies

If P2 goes 20 each as does B12, do the math & see what’s leftover. Not pretty for SMU
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:51 am

It wouldn't be horrible as there are 16 openings. There would still be 15 teams left out. The tenuous scenario would be 3 24 team conferences. At that point we would have to get in or else we are really doomed.
mustangxc

Postby fan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:48 pm

Topper wrote:The problem with the Pac 12 is that everyone knows that Washington and Oregon very badly want to jump ship to the Big 10 as do Stanford and Cal. If that happens, and I think it is likely to be in the next few years, then what is left is a conference that would be further raided by the Big 12. SMU should not get stuck in a Pacific and Mountain time zone conference with a vastly decimated conference. Look to the East for better opportunity.

We wouldn't be "stuck". You don't think the AAC would take us back in a heartbeat if things completely fall apart in the PAC? Better yet we invite some old AAC "friends" to join whats left.
fan
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:11 pm

mustangxc wrote:It wouldn't be horrible as there are 16 openings. There would still be 15 teams left out. The tenuous scenario would be 3 24 team conferences. At that point we would have to get in or else we are really doomed.

Yeah, I’ve actually wondered….if the B10 did go to 24 schools, what if we approached them with this offer….we’ll take $50M per year (half their going rate) + we’d set up an Athletic Endowment of $300-$400M to remain competitive.

I wonder how easily we could raise that amount? I also wonder if their is any interest in the B10 entering the 5th largest TV market??? Gotta think there as they have already secured the Top 4 TV markets + Dallas is in enemy SEC territory.
SoCal_Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:12 pm

An alternative would be to take the best of the left over schools and create a new conference. There would be a lot of good schools left out and we could still be better than a conference with denton college and the directional schools.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:31 pm

redpony wrote:An alternative would be to take the best of the left over schools and create a new conference. There would be a lot of good schools left out and we could still be better than a conference with denton college and the directional schools.

The problem Red is the disparity in monies.

P2 = $100M/school (40 schools)
B12 - $50M/school (20 schools)

leftovers - $10M/school (20 schools)

I do agree it’s better than AAC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:39 pm

SCP- understand. However, a plan C might be to create a conference with both east coast teams and west coast teams. IMO the better schools left out along with say SMU, Memphis, the academies and a few others would probably generate more than the AAC.- especially if some of those schools left with us. And yes, I realize travel would be a beatch but it might not be so bad if the schools had travel partners. I believe we really need a plan in the event we are left out and the new AAC is not that solution.
redpony

Postby stlpony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:28 pm

redpony wrote:SCP- understand. However, a plan C might be to create a conference with both east coast teams and west coast teams. IMO the better schools left out along with say SMU, Memphis, the academies and a few others would probably generate more than the AAC.- especially if some of those schools left with us. And yes, I realize travel would be a beatch but it might not be so bad if the schools had travel partners. I believe we really need a plan in the event we are left out and the new AAC is not that solution.

Plan "C" is the same plan we had 12 months ago...we wait, and this probably remains the plan up until expanded playoffs are implemented. If the Pac-12 accepts SDSU with a +1, this is the opportunity SMU must blow away the competition. We cannot afford to swing and miss if we get an at-bat (and I don't believe we have ever truly had an at-bat in the past).
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:37 pm

Just back from a week in Big 10 country (Michigan) and talk there is that the Big 10 is mulling further expansion and could go as high as 24 teams. Initial 7 being considered are Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Florida State & Miami. If they actually do that, I assume the SEC would go after Clemson & North Carolina although Big 10 might look at either UNC or Virginia to round out their numbers? PAC 12 might be assuming AZ schools, Colorado and Utah are Big XII bound?

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... -expansion
Charleston Pony

Return to Football