PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How should SMU’s Death Penalty be remembered in NIL era?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How should SMU’s Death Penalty be remembered in NIL era?

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:13 am

Terry Webster wrote:
Mexmustang wrote:What bothers me the most, is how selective everyone's memory is. SMU was not alone, in paying players. I Was watching 365 Sports (the Baylor radio/sports show). People forget, even before the sex scandal, in the same years we were paying players, TCU was penalized, they dismissed their -recruiting coordinator, who then ended up almost immediately at Baylor. Texas had its ticket re-repurchase plan between players and alumni and they had the dedicated sponsor to take care of individual players, gas, tires, meals, etc. And we all know about A&M, didn't they buy a recruit a TransAm once?
Listening to these bozo's you would have thought we were the only team in the SWC cheating. It's really funny how quickly those Baptists become holier than thou.

I think it is safe to say that Rice was the only SWC school that wasn't doing this/
I know of some Rice players who were getting paid. As a matter of fact, Rice was known to have the most “depth” of payments, going as far as 3rd team players in some cases. I would bet Rodrigo Barnes could verify this.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:53 am

I knew a QB from Richardson that was taken care of while at Rice. He told me.... oh, I don't go to that rice...

Nice young man.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:26 am

You are right, but believe me their alumni base, although small has the wherewithal to compete...
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:09 pm

We were Innovators....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football