PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let's say the PAC 12 raids the Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Let's say the PAC 12 raids the Big XII

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Assume they take TCU, OSU, Kansas and TT. Does the Big XII invite SMU, Memphis, Boise and SDS? Or does the AAC say, sorry newbies, adios. We're merging with the Big XII. Then we get our old 3 back, plus BYU, KSU, ISU, and Baylor. Perhaps add SDS, AF (Navy might want them) and Boise as well.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Let's say the PAC 12 raids the Big XII

Postby Comet » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:29 pm

Given the likely media payout for the PAC, I don’t see how they’re poaching the BIG XII for at best a financial lateral move and removing yourself from tons of regional rivals.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:19 am

Would they try to plug up BYU?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:07 pm

EastStang wrote:Would they try to plug up BYU?

if i was the PAC-10 i certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable at 10 schools.

With your top schools looking to bail, don’t know how comfortable i would feel at 12.

Adding SD St, SMU, BYU & Houston accomplishes a lot of things.

Top TV markets, expansion into Texas, takes B12 down a notch.

Have no idea the interest level from BYU, but i believe they are the top ranked school academically in B12.
SoCal_Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:16 pm

There is no shame in being Tier 2 behind SEC and B1G. The PAC has been tier 2 for several years now. What they need is a wider footprint. I say they should add SDSU and SMU now. Go after Houston and BYU before they join. Then next year, TCU and Kansas or Tulane or Boise, whichever seems best to them. That makes a good conference and certainly equal to ACC and Big 12. I mean how much money do they need to have a competitive football and basketball conference. So quit worrying about adding "mouths to feed", just expand. Anyway, that is what I think they should be pitching to TV execs about. With P5 money SDSU, SMU, Boise and Tulane will compete just fine against other Tier 2 teams as will BYU/Houston.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:58 pm

I suspect PAC120expansion is important and that 4 teams vs. 2 adds more market value to partially replace USC/UCLA, as AustinTXPony suggests.

Initially, I thought BYU won't add as much, since Utah is already in the conference. However, they have a national fan base. Prior to recent conference moves, the PAC12 won't consider BYU and their LDS affiliation. Now, the PAC12 schools and presidents may be less concerned, and the Cougars are a high-quality program

As for Houston, they would be a perfect to pair with SMU and make Texas more meaningful. If they remain committed to BigXII, I wouldn't ignore Rice. Yes, they are small and private like us, but they might appeal to PAC10 Presidents academically. In a P5 conference, Rice would be more attractive to recruits and Houston fans and become competitive over time.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Football