PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting QB just named

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Starting QB just named

Postby Topper » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 am

The most popular person in every city is the 2nd string QB. We have had some very high level college QBs at SMU over the past several seasons. Mordecai is a tough kid with a good arm who has proven that he can perform in the clutch. By all accounts Preston has the potential to be even better but, given the reports coming out of practice, it would be insane to bench Tanner at this point in time.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:15 am

Topper wrote:The most popular person in every city is the 2nd string QB. We have had some very high level college QBs at SMU over the past several seasons. Mordecai is a tough kid with a good arm who has proven that he can perform in the clutch. By all accounts Preston has the potential to be even better but, given the reports coming out of practice, it would be insane to bench Tanner at this point in time.

Will be hard for anyone to be "better" than Tanner was last year. If we see improvement at the QB position with all the skill players on this roster, these guys could really light up the scoreboard this year!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am

That is what I am thinking. This team may score a ton of points.

I also think 4 downs on the dline with backups is going to help.

See you Saturday.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:21 am

I don’t know that anyone is suggesting benching Mike Ford for Lance McIlhenny, er, Tanner Mordecai for Preston Stone. I’m just excited to see what Preston can do, and worst case, hope we get two full years out of him before he graduates.
ponyboy

Postby CBpony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:41 am

Hoss wrote:I looked up his bio. In his FIRST season at SMU, he:

• Set the school record with 39 touchdown passes
• Threw for 3,628 yards (12th NCAA, 1st AAC, 3rd SMU)
• Completed 308 passes -- second at SMU
• Posted eight 300-yard games
• Had five games with 4+ passing TDs
• Had six games with 4+ total TDs
• Threw seven passing TDs in the season opener against ACU set the SMU single-game record
• Had a 75% or better completion rate in three games (ACU, at LaTech, Navy)
• Ranked in the top 10 nationally and led the conference in points responsible for (248, 6th NCAA), points responsible for per game (20.7, 6th NCAA), completions per game (25.67, 8th NCAA), passing yards per game (302.3, 10th NCAA) and total offense (319.2, 10th NCAA)…
• His 41 TDs responsible is a single-season record for SMU
• Finished with 3,830 yards of total offense (4th SMU)

... and it sucks that he's coming back?

I get that a lot of people like Stone -- I'm in that group, too. But it's impossible to find full with Mordecai.

Speaking of which, when is the last time the Mustangs had 2 quarterbacks this talented?

Yeah he padded his stats on weak September competition. His November stats tell a different story
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:I don’t know that anyone is suggesting benching Mike Ford for Lance McIlhenny, er, Tanner Mordecai for Preston Stone. I’m just excited to see what Preston can do, and worst case, hope we get two full years out of him before he graduates.

I'm just hoping for some blowout wins early so Preston can at least get some reps to help him prepare in the event Tanner gets dinged up and Preston is needed in a closely contested game as the season wears on. Hoping for that result at UNT but worst case at least vs Lamar in the home opener. It's nice to feel good about the backup QB and good to be able to recruit a talented QB every year to build depth at such a critical position.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 pm

CBpony wrote:

• Threw seven passing TDs in the season opener against ACU set the SMU single-game record
• Ranked in the top 10 nationally and led the conference in points responsible for (248, 6th NCAA), points responsible for per game (20.7, 6th NCAA), completions per game (25.67, 8th NCAA), passing yards per game (302.3, 10th NCAA) and total offense (319.2, 10th NCAA)…

I get that a lot of people like Stone -- I'm in that group, too. But it's impossible to find full with Mordecai.

Speaking of which, when is the last time the Mustangs had 2 quarterbacks this talented?

Yeah he padded his stats on weak September competition. His November stats tell a different story

While it's true he had better stats against the weaker teams he faced on the front end of the schedule, he did throw for 305 yards and 3 TDs at Houston and for 377 yards and 3 TDs vs UCF. His only really poor performance was vs Cincy when he threw for only 66 yards, although that season ending game vs Tulsa was not pretty when he had 2 picks vs only 1 TD
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
CBpony wrote:

While it's true he had better stats against the weaker teams he faced on the front end of the schedule, he did throw for 305 yards and 3 TDs at Houston and for 377 yards and 3 TDs vs UCF. His only really poor performance was vs Cincy when he threw for only 66 yards, although that season ending game vs Tulsa was not pretty when he had 2 picks vs only 1 TD

So, was it Sonny or Tanner? I'll always vote Sonny and I'm thankful for Tanner and for Preston's patience. Preston's day (years) will come and he's intelligent and loyal enough to wait.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:14 pm

From all accounts I’ve read, Tanner is without a doubt ahead of Preston right now in camp, and has made a big leap since the Spring, really separating himself from the other QBs.

He was also a 4* who sat behind 3 elite QBs at OU, and has a full year as a starter setting all kind of records. With the reports coming out of fall camp, we should be elated and not sad we aren’t trotting out a freshman QB instead.

I would imagine 100+ D1 schools would take Tanner as their QB.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Lefty » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:20 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I would imagine 100+ D1 schools would take Tanner as their QB.

Exactly
Lefty
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:11 am

Ford and Lance were two very different and very gifted quarterbacks at SMU.

We are in a great place going into the season in the QB room

.Found it interesting that DCTF predicted TCU beating us. While I can see a competitive game, I don't see that one coming to pass in "He who shall not be mentioned 2"'s first year there...not with what he left in the QB room here.

"It's August...we got a room full of quarterbacks, a new coach, and eager fans..."

"Hit it"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:43 pm

peruna81 wrote:Ford and Lance were two very different and very gifted quarterbacks at SMU.

.Found it interesting that DCTF predicted TCU beating us. While I can see a competitive game, I don't see that one coming to pass in "He who shall not be mentioned 2"'s first year there...not with what he left in the QB room here.

"It's August...we got a room full of quarterbacks, a new coach, and eager fans..."

"Hit it"

Not to mention that tcu will be facing as hostile a crowd as they have faced in a long time. Just hope that the admin doesn't squash the students.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:35 pm

Terry Webster wrote:
peruna81 wrote:Ford and Lance were two very different and very gifted quarterbacks at SMU.

"Hit it"

Not to mention that tcu will be facing as hostile a crowd as they have faced in a long time. Just hope that the admin doesn't squash the students.

Little Ricky will be sure to protect Sonny the Snake from our students.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:48 am

IMO, if Mordecai leaves, next year it will be a close QB battle between Stone and Jennings. Closer than most of y’all are expecting.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:22 am

Really? That says a lot about Jennings.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football