PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RIP to another great Mustang

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

RIP to another great Mustang

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:21 pm

We lost another longtime Pony Fan. Ed was an SMU football and basketball season ticket holder for decades and would often attend practices after retirement. During the years we had a BLVD tent Ed would always stop by for a visit on his way to the stadium. Rest in Peace Ed.

"After choosing to play football at the University of Alabama, Ed proved that even he couldn’t handle Coach Bear Bryant and chose to transfer to SMU where he played football for four years. On top of the demands of playing college football, Ed played baseball and intramural basketball where he also coached the team. He earned a BBA in Quantitative Analysis in 1968 from SMU".

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... s-10880734
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Re: RIP to another great Mustang

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:35 pm

He was a Great Mustang, and will be missed.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:07 pm

What a great guy. I talked on the phone with him multiple times per week over the last 20 years or so. He certainly loved his Mustangs, and was an extremely funny guy, he would have me in tears from laughter on numerous occasions. He will absolutely be missed, my world was a better place with Ed in it. Rest in peace old friend.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:51 pm

See ya on The Hilltop Ed. Go Ponies.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am

Dedo was a long-time friend and associate. He once told me he left Alabama because there was an All-American ahead of him and he would never get to play. So, he left for SMU, only to sit on the bench for a new sophomore--Jerry LeVias! Knowing Ed, I really don't know the truth. He never mentioned the Bear. But he never backed away from making himself the brunt of his own stories.

One night he went out with several of his bank friends and stayed way too late, he thought he would sneak thru the back door, when he got into the house, he was starring and his wife and mother cooking an early breakfast. His story was, I fell asleep in the backyard hammock. His wife then went into the third degree trying to confirm his story. Finally, she said, "you mean that old white hammock? You mean the one I threw away two weeks ago?" Where upon he replied, "Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!" Only Dedo could get away with that. A great guy and friend.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby smuaustin1971 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:12 am

Ed [Dedo] was a wonderful person. He is the reason I came to SMU as we are from the same town outside of Chicago. Have so many great memories. And he was one phenomenal athlete!
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby Mike D » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 pm

This is Ed's son here. I've been lurking on this board for years and appreciate the kind words. Despite going to Georgia, I have remained just as much of an SMU fan. The night before Dad passed, I gave him a very thorough overview of the football team and how I think they will win the conference this year. Granted, I have said that every year. He was non-responsive at that point, but the nurses assured me he could still hear.
Mike D

Postby peruna81 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 am

Mike D wrote:This is Ed's son here. I've been lurking on this board for years and appreciate the kind words. Despite going to Georgia, I have remained just as much of an SMU fan. The night before Dad passed, I gave him a very thorough overview of the football team and how I think they will win the conference this year. Granted, I have said that every year. He was non-responsive at that point, but the nurses assured me he could still hear.

Praying for you and your family, Mike. May you be surrounded by God's grace and mercy, and find comfort in the memories of a man that was beloved by more than just your family.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football