PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Farewell from Pony Nate-tion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Farewell from Pony Nate-tion

Postby PonyNate » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Hello all,

I'm not sure who all will read this, or that anyone cares, but given that I have been previewing SMU football games on this website since I was just in 7th grade, I feel the need to thank everyone for all the support over the years. Last season was my last one writing for Pony Fans. As I begin my senior year at the University of Missouri, I felt I wouldn't be able to provide the proper quality in my SMU coverage anymore as other obligations have mounted.

Thank you to Steve [deleted] for taking a chance on a 7th grade sports nerd and being an outstanding mentor and one of the big reasons I'm currently pursuing a degree in sports journalism. Thank you to those of you who read and commented on my articles over the years. I loved your feedback and hearing from you guys all the time made it worth it, even on the rare occasions I got to meet some of you in person on the Hilltop.

It's been a blast covering a school I grew up rooting for and I'll miss the weekly game previews. I'll still be just as tuned into the happenings on the Hilltop - I still wear my Triple D gear around campus in Columbia, and I'm looking forward to a hopefully successful Rhett Lashlee era. This decision was made a while ago, but I felt I should announce it here with the new season kicking off soon as right around now I would be beginning my season preview article.

I'm still doing content though. I also work for the Dallas Sports Fanatic and I host a Cowboys podcast (Silver and Blue Podcast) and a Mavericks podcast (Victory Avenue Podcast), and I am also a Cowboys staff writer for the site as well. If that type of content interests you or you enjoyed my stuff on Pony Fans, throw me a follow on Twitter (@nate_sanch77) and check out everything going at the Dallas Sports Fanatic.

Either way, it's been a blast working for Pony Fans and I appreciate the support over the years and look forward to beginning my career in sports journalism after graduating in the near future. Thank you all!
Yes, this is Pony Nate from Pony Nate-tion, and yes you can debate me as much as you'd like...

"Stay focused"-David Sanchez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVxAv3aIoc
PonyNate
Recruit

Re: Farewell from Pony Nate-tion

Postby PonyPride » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:15 pm

It's us who should be thanking you, Nate.

PonyNate's column came about because I have been lucky to be friends with Nate's family for years. During one of many pre-game visits on the Boulevard, he was talking to his dad, who pointed to me and said "go ask him." Nate started awkwardly asking questions about what it was like to talk to players and coaches, and who my favorite teams and players, and how I thought SMU might do that week.

I turned it around on him, and asked him his opinions, and the reasons behind them. From that grew the Pony Nate-ion column, the predictions and explanations of a young fan in the stands who bled red and blue as any PonyFan out there. I wore him out at times about writing and editing (sorry ... a little), and he soaked up all of it.

When this seventh grade sports nerd first asked me about writing something for PonyFans.com, he came up to barely above my elbows — now he towers over most of us who read this website. He grew into a punishing power forward and offensive tackle on his high school teams, and a damned good writer, able to not only pick scores with uncanny accuracy, but also to explain why.

Thanks for everything, Nate. Continued success in school and beyond. See you on the Boulevard.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:29 pm

It’s been a lot of fun, Nate! Best of luck!
ponyboy

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:30 pm

Thanks Nate and best of luck. Your future looks bright.
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Thank you for your work, Nate.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Hard to believe it's over.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyNate » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 pm

Thank you to everyone for the kind words! I really appreciate you all!
Yes, this is Pony Nate from Pony Nate-tion, and yes you can debate me as much as you'd like...

"Stay focused"-David Sanchez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVxAv3aIoc
PonyNate
Recruit

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:12 am

Thanks for your hard work Nate, as Ponyfans we greatly appreciate it.

Wishing you a successful career and hoping you can ‘occasionally’ still write about our beloved Mustangs!
SoCal_Pony

Postby Caballo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:35 am

Nate,

Thanks for your past work in reporting on the Mustangs. You have a great career in sports journalism ahead of you. Your reports were always very insightful and informative. And above all, they were usually spot on.

If the journalism thing doesn't work out, maybe you can make some coin in Vegas analyzing betting lines. Either way, good luck in the future.

Pony Up brother!
Caballo
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:17 pm

Good luck in your future endeavors. Fair Winds and smooth sailing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Good luck Nate!! I haven't posted on here for awhile, but I've enjoyed reading your columns since you first started. Thanks for doing it, and best wishes on your future.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby dalpony » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:56 am

Say it ain’t so Nate - thank you for your creative writing - I always enjoyed reading Pony Nate-tion and will miss it - good luck in your writing future
dalpony
Varsity

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:34 pm

I always enjoyed your columns and analysis, and will miss reading them this season. Not to mention your predictions were generally very accurate. Best of luck to the future.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:01 pm

That's what I was thinking: there are some gamblers on this site who are sorry to see Nate move on to other things.
Best of luck.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby smuhype » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:10 am

Noone more bummed than me --- But fired up to see my boy take it to the next level on his dream!

PROUD Dad of Pony NATE-TION
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football