PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eff Sonny and Pin This To the Locker Room Wall

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Eff Sonny and Pin This To the Locker Room Wall

Postby redpony » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:58 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
He left TCU (albeit not as a HC) for SMU and sniped some of TCU's recruits in the process.

Yes, he took a couple, not the majority of a recruiting class. Plus he didn't bring staff here from cowtown and he virtually took all of the staff from here and left and empty building.
Just shows what kind of a snake he really is. Don't be surprised when he does the same to you when a better offer comes along.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm

redpony wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:
He left TCU (albeit not as a HC) for SMU and sniped some of TCU's recruits in the process.

Yes, he took a couple, not the majority of a recruiting class. Plus he didn't bring staff here from cowtown and he virtually took all of the staff from here and left and empty building.
Just shows what kind of a snake he really is. Don't be surprised when he does the same to you when a better offer comes along.

Don't assume a "better job" will ever come. If Sonny flames out in cowtown, he's probably done.
Charleston Pony

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:59 pm

redpony wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

I think that is an inherent risk within coaching in general. I mean, look no further than Reily at Oklahoma.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:03 pm

I get all the shenanigans that comes with HC jobs, the salesmanship, the double-talk coach-speak, etc.

I get people wanting to make extra $$$ and getting 2 parties to bid against each other to increase one’s salary.

Recruiting already committed SMU kids to play for your crosstown rival WHILE YOU ARE STILL ON SMU’s PAYROLL is a slime ball move.

I don’t know how anyone can defend that, and yes, i think Sonny and his staff did just that.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Recruiting already committed SMU kids to play for your crosstown rival WHILE YOU ARE STILL ON SMU’s PAYROLL is a slime ball move. I don’t know how anyone can defend that, and yes, i think Sonny and his staff did just that.

It happens and all it means is that plenty of kids commit to a coaching staff rather than a school because that relationship with their coach is more important to them than any educational opportunities a school might offer. Says as much about the kid as it does the coach
Charleston Pony

Postby malonish » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 pm

What kind of quote is this from the article:

"TCU is really important to this university"

Of course it is you numpty.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:43 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:Recruiting already committed SMU kids to play for your crosstown rival WHILE YOU ARE STILL ON SMU’s PAYROLL is a slime ball move. I don’t know how anyone can defend that, and yes, i think Sonny and his staff did just that.

It happens and all it means is that plenty of kids commit to a coaching staff rather than a school because that relationship with their coach is more important to them than any educational opportunities a school might offer. Says as much about the kid as it does the coach

No. It doesn’t happen. There is no precedent for a coaching move of this shadiness between rivals this close.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:44 pm

Who were the recruits that SD flipped from TCU to SMU?
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:30 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

I think everyone understands that CP, it’s the recruiting players FROM your school to ANOTHER school while still employed at the first school which is underhanded.

We were in essence paying Sunny to destroy our own program.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:35 am

mustangxc wrote:Who were the recruits that SD flipped from TCU to SMU?

Jordan Hudson, Chace Biddle and Cordale Russell, our top 3 recruits (all recruited by Ra'Shaad Samples) decommitted from SMU within 10 minutes of each other while SD was still HC at SMU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:49 am

I’m curious. Honest question. How often does it occur that a coach who’s on his way out *not* bring a few recruits with him? I mean, it’s expected, is it not? Especially if you’re moving up to P5. Again, honest question.
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:00 am

ponyboy wrote:I’m curious. Honest question. How often does it occur that a coach who’s on his way out *not* bring a few recruits with him? I mean, it’s expected, is it not? Especially if you’re moving up to P5. Again, honest question.

Of course it happens all the time. The question is when does said coach began pursuing those players. An ethical coach would wait until he’s employed at his new school.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:25 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

I think everyone understands that CP, it’s the recruiting players FROM your school to ANOTHER school while still employed at the first school which is underhanded.

We were in essence paying Sunny to destroy our own program.

Remember JJ doing that for ASU and then not even getting the job?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:26 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:

Jordan Hudson, Chace Biddle and Cordale Russell, our top 3 recruits (all recruited by Ra'Shaad Samples) decommitted from SMU within 10 minutes of each other while SD was still HC at SMU.

And then Samples bails on TCU before they even enroll there. Perfect!
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:40 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:

I think the above poster was asking which recruits Sonny pulled to SMU when he left TCU as a consultant. I am also interested in that answer, because I don't recall any at all.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football