PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Depth Chart

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Depth Chart

Postby smuaustin1971 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm

When might we expect to see a depth chart for the North Texas game?
Thank you to those who would know...
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Re: Depth Chart

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Came out today.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:59 pm

ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:36 pm

ponyboy wrote:https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/smu/91809
That chart is not even close
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Oops
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:38 am

scroll down and you will find it here:

https://smumustangs.com/documents/2022/8/30/UNT-NEW.pdf

(note that Camar Wheaton is not even listed at RB. Recovering from his knee injury might be a bigger deal than has been reported?)
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:30 am

It is also on the SMU Facebook site, or either of the pay sites.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:35 am

Turner Coxe still on the roster but not on the depth chart. Another injury issue?

Also of note is that Big XII transfers David Abiara and Kamryn Farrar didn't make the initial depth chart. Hopefully this just means this team is deeper than any we've had in years and not that we have more guys dealing with injuries.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:42 am

They’re really easing into Wheaton. Lashlee wouldn’t elaborate other than to say he’s week to week. Don’t want to re-aggravate the injury he got at Alabama.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:17 am

So I did a little analysis and 9 starters (or co-starters, whatever exactly that means), are P5 transfers from ASU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, OU, Oregon, Texas (2), and UVA.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:38 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Turner Coxe still on the roster but not on the depth chart. Another injury issue?

Also of note is that Big XII transfers David Abiara and Kamryn Farrar didn't make the initial depth chart. Hopefully this just means this team is deeper than any we've had in years and not that we have more guys dealing with injuries.

Coxe has a shoulder issue holding him out.

Abiara has had injury things. With Paul and Wiley back and Jones, Aho, Smith and Sneed all making significant strides forward there is a bit of a log jam. I bet that Aho and Jones start splitting time at one end and that Jones eventually takes the starting spot. There is a lot of talent at that spot. I'm really excited to see what this group does on the field. Last year, in a 3 man front, the OLB spot Coxe, Wiley, and Paul played was out in the field, and sometimes rushed. If you look at PFF, what they all did very well is rush the QB - Paul and Coxe were top 5 in conference in pass rush rating, and Wiley was top 20. SMU edge players dropped back in coverage about 100-150 times per 300 passing plays. This year, that becomes part of a down 4 that occasionally drops into coverage ( At liberty, it was about 25 per 300). It will fit those players much, much better. I am guessing you end up at one end with Jones/Aho and either Abiara or Samuels fighting for the 3rd spot, and then on the rush end it is Paul/Wiley/Smith, and then Coxe of course probably ahead of Wiley if/when he returns.

Farrar also started back injured, but seemed to be finding his way back. Again, we have quality depth at LB with Slade, Phillips, and Reid being very good players. Both Burns and Farrar are in that next group that will get some time, especially early, but I bet it is going to be a 3 player rotation for the most part. Not because the young players aren't good, but those three are at a high level.
JasonB

Postby Dark Horse » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:38 am

I wouldn't worry about the logjam at DE. Teams need to be able to rotate fresh players in there, especially when it's hot and muggy.
Dark Horse
All-American

Return to Football