PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Latest on PAC12 Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Latest on PAC12 Expansion

Postby Dukie » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:50 pm

crispy_taco wrote:I don’t understand how you can see the current AAC plus SDSU Wazzu and Oregon st as being better than the new big 12. I know how you feel but it’s just not even close. The big 12 has said no to us several times so we are trying to convince ourselves that this girl we’re dating right now has potential when she really doesn’t at all. I know it hurts to say this, but the big 12 actually has pretty solid footing right now. Even more so than the ACC because it’s only a matter of time before Clemson FSU and Miami are absorbed by SEC. PAC 12 is quicksand like many have said, but it is certainly better than our current situation.

First, welcome. Second, most folks here and around SMU are well aware that the Big XII doesn’t want SMU, but it’s way less the unattractiveness of SMU than it us the fear of competition from other institutions.

And that AZ poll above? Total garbage.

Anyway, just win. This is the year.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby crispy_taco » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:39 pm

I fully agree that the potential for SMU absorbing Baylor/TCU/tech market cap is the deciding factor for Big 12. Any of those fans that point to, say attendance or undergrad enrollment, are clearly deflecting from their insecurity. But I do get a sense from this board that people think that Big 12 is irrelevant now when that is just not the case. Heck, Houston in big 12 is a better program long term than any additions the AAC could ever have a chance at landing.
Everything aside I am with you that our team needs to show out this year
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby Comet » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:35 pm

I also think the MWC would have better pull over the battered up AAC we now have. Any remaining PAC teams would stick with MWC teams.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:27 am

Comet wrote:I also think the MWC would have better pull over the battered up AAC we now have. Any remaining PAC teams would stick with MWC teams.

Decent chance tho of a PAC leftovers, top of MWC, and SMU and Memphis situation though.

Wazzu, Oregon St, Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Colo State, SMU, and Memphis is better than MWC + Wazzu and OSU.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:03 pm

Whatever happens, we cannot remain in the AAC.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:38 pm

ponyboy wrote:Whatever happens, we cannot remain in the AAC.

Aka the new cusa
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby Comet » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:45 pm

Agreed, the loss of Cinci, Houston, and UCF will definitely be felt…
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby fan » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:43 pm

fan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:08 am

Meanwhile, the "best" of the PAC-12 (Utah & Oregon) didn't fare well yesterday and Oregon got absolutely smoked in Georgia
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am

Year in and year out we would have a much better chance of winning the re-constituted AAC than the re-constituted Big 12. The problem that we always have had remains: How do we work our way into the early season polls thereby giving us a chance to be one of the top 6 rated conference champs? Teams like UT and Notre Dame have to lose their way out of the top 25. We have to win our way in. Will it be possible to schedule some quality, perennially ranked teams for our non conference schedule? The AAC regular season will not help us get the attention of the voters. I worry that the Ohio States and Georgias of the world are all going to schedule each other early on with the assurance that a single or maybe even a two loss season will still get them a playoff invite.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Comet » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, the "best" of the PAC-12 (Utah & Oregon) didn't fare well yesterday and Oregon got absolutely smoked in Georgia

But on the other hand, their weak teams like Oregon State and Arizona showed a lot of improvement.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Comet » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:41 am

Topper wrote:Year in and year out we would have a much better chance of winning the re-constituted AAC than the re-constituted Big 12. The problem that we always have had remains: How do we work our way into the early season polls thereby giving us a chance to be one of the top 6 rated conference champs? Teams like UT and Notre Dame have to lose their way out of the top 25. We have to win our way in. Will it be possible to schedule some quality, perennially ranked teams for our non conference schedule? The AAC regular season will not help us get the attention of the voters. I worry that the Ohio States and Georgias of the world are all going to schedule each other early on with the assurance that a single or maybe even a two loss season will still get them a playoff invite.

One way to do this is to finish the season ranked. And then do it again, and again, and again. We have many examples of this from Utah, to Boise, to TCU, etc. I have a feeling that with our weaker conference and NIL that we can hopefully string this finally.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 am

Comet wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, the "best" of the PAC-12 (Utah & Oregon) didn't fare well yesterday and Oregon got absolutely smoked in Georgia

But on the other hand, their weak teams like Oregon State and Arizona showed a lot of improvement.

Very true, assuming Boise and SDSU are going to be among the best the MWC has to offer this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:29 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Comet wrote:

Very true, assuming Boise and SDSU are going to be among the best the MWC has to offer this year.

I’ve started watching/rooting for losses by what have been P6 ranking/media darlings. Happy to see App State, SDSU, and Boise start off like they did.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:23 am

Boise and SDSU both lost yesterday. Neither looked good.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football