PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kieschnick

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kieschnick

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm

I was thinking about all this talk of Brad Kieschnick moving from left guard to center. On the surface, I like the idea -- it adds a little size and experience in the middle of the line.

But is there anyone out there who has played offensive line, or really knows the nuances of playing OL, who can explain what challenges he would face if this move actually takes place? I know the center generally makes the calls for the blocking schemes for the offensive line, and I would assume that he has more defensive linemen to account for, but what about technique? Footwork? Blocking "moves"? What's the hardest adjustment?

Thanks. Can you tell I'm ready for spring ball?
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby EP Pony Fan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:10 am

Well, it's been a while since I played, and I confess, I'm closer to a lineman's size now than when I played.

However .... as a guard, you have to move more, as the guards (especially LG, which is where Kieschnick has played) are called upon to get out and pull on sweeps, traps, etc. But the center has more responsibilities. He has to read the defense, make the line calls, and anticipate where the rush is coming from. If the defense plays a 3-4 alignment, chances are he will have the NG directly over him, making that his primary priority. But he also has to be able to hand the NG (or a DT) off to one of his guards and handle LBs coming up the middle.

The biggest adjustment, of course, will be handling the ball on every play. Screw up the center-QB exchange and all the blocking ability in the world won't matter.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:18 pm

The thing I like about the move is the attitude Kieschnick brings. You look at the good centers we've had -- Reindl, Adami, etc. -- and the thing they share, in addition to strength and technique, is attitude. Those guys were fighters and talkers. They yapped at opponents and teammates. They got in people's faces. You had to knock them out to get them off the field. I don't know Brad, but I keep hearing that he's got a major attitude, that he'll go to war on every play. If that's accurate, he might be a very good leader for the offensive line. I want a guy who leads his troops into battle, and I gather Kieschnick is that kind of guy.
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football