PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Way too late NTSU Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Way too late NTSU Thread

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:22 pm

NTSU52...

SMU with it's BILLION DOLLAR ENDOWMENT will always be ahead of NTSU.

We have dominated you in academics and football.

It basically boils down to "most NTSU students would rather be at SMU, and most SMU students would RATHER NOT be at North Texas State". This is really the base of your jealousy and envy.

Come on...it will be liberating for you to just admit the truth.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/smu-3613

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unt-3594
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:35 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Comet wrote:Really good showing and I think this program is roaring and I can’t wait to see how NIL bares fruit.

We are already seeing the fruits of NIL.

We retained a lot of key players.

lol, and added via the Portal

we were the most successful G5 program using the portal

I totally get that! I mean in terms of on the field results! Let’s get to 10 wins consistently and beat some good teams in bowl games.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
SMUstang07 wrote:I kinda feel for UNT after this. I think it’s time to stop referencing this as a rivalry. The two programs are so far apart.

Has anyone at SMU ever refereed to this as a rivalry? Yuck. The football teams are at different levels. Have won the last four by over 28 points, won the last 8 out of 10, and have won 35 out of 42 games. Hardly a rivalry. Aside from being in the same north Texas region, there are absolutely no similarities.

It's a rivalry only because of the proximity of the 2 schools. Obviously TCU is our main rival but you can also have a rival you dominate. I'm sure UNT looks at SMU as their main rival. TCU would like to think they are better than us and they now look at Baylor as their main rival and being conference mates certainly helps, but there are some really good rivalries that exist between teams in different conferences (Clemson vs South Carolina and W. Virginia vs Pittsburgh come to mind)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:50 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:NTSU52...

SMU with it's BILLION DOLLAR ENDOWMENT will always be ahead of NTSU.

We have dominated you in academics and football.

It basically boils down to "most NTSU students would rather be at SMU, and most SMU students would RATHER NOT be at North Texas State". This is really the base of your jealousy and envy.

Come on...it will be liberating for you to just admit the truth.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/smu-3613

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unt-3594

It’s a 2 B endowment. Should be way more but has been neglected for an overemphasis on facilities.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:00 pm

gostangs, i read recently it was $2.6B, i also thought you posted our endowment > TCU’s

This site says $3.3B https://www.swfinstitute.org/profile/598cdaa60124e9fd2d05bef0

That number seems high to me, but I do know we are in the midst of a $1.5B Ignited Capital raise with monies earmarked more so for Endowment over Facilities.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Wow! $2-$3 Billion! Thanks guys. GO MUSTANGS!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:03 pm

NTSU52 wrote:
SMUstang07 wrote:I kinda feel for UNT after this. I think it’s time to stop referencing this as a rivalry. The two programs are so far apart.

I really don’t understand where you are coming from on that. Over the last 15 years the series has been a pretty even split. North Texas has much better facilities and has invested much more money into athletics in the last few years. And next year the two will be in the same conference. So I’m failing to understand how these two programs are so far apart?

There was a time when I thought this could become a rivalry. I think we’re in the situation where no one sees UNT competing in this game for the next few years. SMU has won 7/8. 9/10 looks like a guarantee. The programs are in different stratospheres. No offense but I don’t dislike UNT at this point, I hope they improve so I care about this game (instead of disregard it). Perhaps this will change after a few coaching rotations.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:42 pm

I find the NTCC poster quite hilarious. Some fun facts,

Most recent win came from Sonny's debut game taken over whatever was left from Chad. 46-23. 9/1/2018

The last win before that was when we didn't even have a headcoach at the time because JJ resigned after that humiliating lost. 43-6 best thing to happen to us finally getting rid of that loser.

Mind you those were road games. The last time NTCC beat us at Ford: sorry never because you have to go back to 1977 in Irving. Before that, it was 1933. Even the DP days they could only get 1 win.

So bottom line this is as much of a rivalry as UT has with Kansas. 16-4 (80%) vs our 85% to NTCC...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:27 am

I remember attending the homecoming game in '89 vs UNT at Ownby...back in the post death penalty era when we hoped our team would find a way to win a game or two each season. Scheduling UNT did the trick and we won that game 35-9. Even that 1st post DP team found a way to win 2 0f 3 against the mean green, losing by only 7 points in Denton. UNT did have a pretty good team in the early 90's when SMU was still trying to figure out whether they really wanted to play football again during the Pye years
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football