PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting take on Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Interesting take on Big XII

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am

EastStang wrote:If they want the Houston market in the package, they can always add Rice which is superior to any school academically in the PAC except Stanford. Rice is making a commitment to step things up athletically. They would add a baseball program which is great. Not my first choice, but still an option.

EastStang, I suspect Rice is not a popular choice for a big conference, but I share your point. To be in an athletic conference with a Stanford (PAC12), Duke (ACC), and their conference mates has appeal for me, including entrance into a P5/P4 league. The addition of Rice adds luster to either of those conference, along with us. They may lack the athletic history, but you place them an academic peer group at even a higher level and they will raise their game. And, a Dallas/Houston combo could justify such a move by either the PAC12 or ACC.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:24 am

Rice is a perfect example of this whole 'culture and academics' BS.

There they are, in a top 4 media market, Ivy League quality academics, and nobody touches them. They'd fit right in with Stanford and Berkeley, and have a great baseball team (or did, I haven't kept up).

It's about football and TV eyes.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crispy_taco » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Completely agree leopold. Rice is just laughable. The addition of present day rice to any conference would bring nothing but mockery towards any conference that adds them. I get it they have a good baseball program, but just no. The football team would be an absolute doormat in any big conference. They’d also have to compete with UH who I think could soon be the blue chip FOOTBALL (not academics BS) program of the big 12
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:03 pm

I don't share the view that Rice is unworthy, nor do I think that FB performance is the only factor.

The reality is Houston is major market with two airports in the Central Time Zone, along with SMU. The point is two P5 conferences (ACC and PAC12) would benefit from two Texas-based CT teams. Houston would be a stronger partner, but they placed their bet on the BigXII. Memphis is another CT option

My view is SMU and another CT Partner is desirable to these East and West Coast conferences. And, Rice shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand. They aren't a FB factory and their academics are a plus, not a negative. Our goal is simple, move to a stable (TBD) P5.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Water Pony wrote: Our goal is simple, move to a stable (TBD) P5.

I think those are extinct
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:15 pm

Rice is a laughingstock because for some unexplained reason they chose to be.

Possibly they don’t want to lower academic standards to make FB competitive, I dunno, I’ve never heard a public explanation.

They do have wealthy alumni & a an endowment over $8B, so if they wanted to, they could become good at it.

My advice to Rice, if you’re not serious, why continue FB.

Throw some serious resources at BB and you have the ability to be elite. Very elite.

All other schools: NIL $$$ at 100 athletes, mostly prioritizing FB.
Rice : NIL$$$ at 10 athletes.

Rice…has the location, has the $$$, could easily fill a 7k arena.
SoCal_Pony

Postby crispy_taco » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:03 pm

Rice certainly did choose to be the way they are. It’s clear they just don’t value football and I get it. I agree they really should just give it up unless they just want to keep it around for tradition’s sake. I really do think rice is unworthy because they just seem to not care,which matters.
But yea I agree that football is not the only thing that matters. However baseball doesn’t really matter in terms of realignment in my opinion. I say that as someone whose family is die hard ole miss baseball fans with season tickets since forever ago. Basketball can matter a whole lot, see Kansas and duke
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm

Being in Houston, there is no question Rice is positioned to be a valuable conference mate but everyone knows football is driving the realignment bus and Rice has shown little interest in investing in football. Aresco is banking on that changing their being and asset to the future AAC but I'm certainly skeptical. Yes, they have great academics and a terrific foundation that helps with financial aid that helps attract top students and enhances the school's academic standing, but I just haven't seen much enthusiasm from their alumni towards athletics. SMU has struggled with fan support in all but a few years during my lifetime but Rice has had even less support than SMU. That's not a recipe for a P5 invite. SMU just needs to focus on building Top 25 caliber football/bball programs and growing our fan following. If we become attractive to the networks, the future will take care of itself. Scheduling games against OU and the like are a step in the right direction.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:24 pm

The Governor of Virginia went to Rice, married a Mustang and made a major gift to SMU. Remember he appoints people to the UVA and VT boards. If the ACC looks west you can bet UVA and Tech will be interested in SMU and Houston markets. Youngkin will be extolling the virtues of Rice over UH. Add in UNC, Wake, Syracuse, BC, Duke and the U who will want high academics it might happen.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Football