PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting take on Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting take on Big XII

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:07 pm

UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Interesting take on Big XII

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:15 pm

anybody think this might add a little pressure on PAC10 to move ahead and add them and another team?
redpony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm

I think it is smoke at the moment. SDSU would prefer PAC12.

However, PAC12 would be smart to pre-empt a move by the BigXII or run the risk of allowing them to gain a foothold in the Pacific Time Zone.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:58 pm

SD St’s President, Adela de la Torre, earned all of her degrees at UC Berkeley (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral). She has stated priority #1 is to improve SD St’s academics.

If an intact PAC offers her, no way she turns them down for the Academic Slugs of B12.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Comet » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:53 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:SD St’s President, Adela de la Torre, earned all of her degrees at UC Berkeley (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral). She has stated priority #1 is to improve SD St’s academics.

If an intact PAC offers her, no way she turns them down for the Academic Slugs of B12.

However, if a BIG XII offers first you bet she takes that offer. One conference is aggressive and the other has shown little signs of life and pro activity right now. Very interesting to see what happens.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:48 pm

So much game theory here. It can't just be SDSU so I would think the Big 12 would look adding CSU and BSU as well. If that happens, I could see the Pac12 only going for Fresno and UNLV thus we are stuck. I'm worried without a travel partner, we look a bit like a burden. I was hoping the ACC would add us in the sense the 1 time zone difference doesn't feel like it's that far away.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:34 am

Comet wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:SD St’s President, Adela de la Torre, earned all of her degrees at UC Berkeley (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral). She has stated priority #1 is to improve SD St’s academics.

However, if a BIG XII offers first you bet she takes that offer. One conference is aggressive and the other has shown little signs of life and pro activity right now. Very interesting to see what happens.

I don’t know if being outwardly ‘aggressive’ and ‘pro-active’ is a strength or weakness.

The B10 was neither and suddenly gobbled up USC & UCLA.

The B12 has been both yet by all accounts the 4 corners will only bolt if the B10 once again takes more PAC prizes. They were not swayed by B12 ‘aggressiveness’. IMO that is now why sights are on SD St.

If they want them, no way the PAC will let SD St leave either. And I think they want them.
SoCal_Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:34 am

It didn't seem to bother the Big 12 to invite UCF and BYU without a travel partner nearby. Why would the PAC worry about having the similar circumstance with SMU. Just take the best available at this stage.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:42 am

AusTxPony wrote:It didn't seem to bother the Big 12 to invite UCF and BYU without a travel partner nearby. Why would the PAC worry about having the similar circumstance with SMU. Just take the best available at this stage.

Also, having a travel partner is even less important when you’re a few miles from DFW.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:42 am

Dukie wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:It didn't seem to bother the Big 12 to invite UCF and BYU without a travel partner nearby. Why would the PAC worry about having the similar circumstance with SMU. Just take the best available at this stage.

Also, having a travel partner is even less important when you’re a few miles from DFW.

It does make basketball scheduling more difficult and we don't even want to talk about what having a geographic outlier in your conference does to non-revenue sports. I'm sure West Virginia is going to appreciate having Cincinnati in the Big XII and even UCF
Charleston Pony

Postby fan » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:34 pm

No idea why this travel deal is a hangup with PAC-12 folks. It's not like it's a bus league anyway. Most every sports contest involves a flight. (Kinda like the AAC). Moreover, the vast majority of any travel "burden" would fall on us as the PNW only have to come to Dallas once a year (for Olympic Sports) whereas we'd have to get up there at least 2x year for Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, etc. So if we're fine with it (I assume we are since we're used to going across the country already - see Temple, formerly UConn) then it should be a non-issue as it is with BIG12, and ACC (Miami to BC), or now the BIG (NJ to SoCal).
fan
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:30 am

PAC12 priorities:
- competing in all sports, not just football and basketball. All of their members are top 100 in Directors Cup.
- Academic and cultural fit.

The expansion of the CFP has eliminated the risk of the ACC, Big 12, or PAC 12 disappearing, so they can stick to their values.

SDSU and SMU fit those values.

UNLV and Boise do NOT, and that is why I believe those are the two schools the Big 12 is considering.
JasonB

Postby leopold » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:02 pm

I get that the PAC10 has never been simply a football conference, but at this point in time it has to be re-evaluating what it is and what it needs to be to survive. They were dead last in TV money amongst the P5 before their arguably two biggest assets took themselves and the LA market with them, so what's to say that others don't leave?

Right now, BYU is set to make far more TV money than Utah, and Colorado HAS to be wondering if they made a mistake leaving years ago, and if those two schools somehow leave for the Big XII that conference is in major long term trouble - Phil Knight isn't going to live forever.

Not saying that this particular discussion affects whether or not we get a look or an invite, but recent events has reinforced more than ever that college athletics is built around football and TV money, including the High and Mighty PAC 12.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm

leopold wrote:I get that the PAC10 has never been simply a football conference, but at this point in time it has to be re-evaluating what it is and what it needs to be to survive. They were dead last in TV money amongst the P5 before their arguably two biggest assets took themselves and the LA market with them, so what's to say that others don't leave?

Right now, BYU is set to make far more TV money than Utah, and Colorado HAS to be wondering if they made a mistake leaving years ago, and if those two schools somehow leave for the Big XII that conference is in major long term trouble - Phil Knight isn't going to live forever.

Not saying that this particular discussion affects whether or not we get a look or an invite, but recent events has reinforced more than ever that college athletics is built around football and TV money, including the High and Mighty PAC 12.

However, the Big 12 and Pac 12 contracts are going to be about the same, so nobody is going to really be jealous of the others, and Colorado has made tens of millions extra since leaving the Big 12 because it was a tiered payment until a few years ago in the Big 12.
JasonB

Postby mtrout » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:57 pm

JasonB wrote:PAC12 priorities:
- competing in all sports, not just football and basketball. All of their members are top 100 in Directors Cup.
- Academic and cultural fit.

Great! They'll love our mission to "Compete for Championships" :roll: I remember when we were top 50 in directors cup EVERY YEAR from '94 thru '06
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football