PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU - MARYLAND PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU - MARYLAND PREDICTIONS

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:58 am

Has anyone scouted Maryland's first two games? Jason B? I've watched some highlights and they have a dangerous passing attack, with a mobile QB. I'm thinking Tanner and Company better be on fire, or we will be licking our wounds going into the TCU game. By the way, TCU is off this week.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:21 am

All I know is that Maryland has picked up 2 easy wins against 2 pretty weak opponents and held both Buffalo and Charlotte to about 3 yards per carry while Taulia Tagovailoa has put up big numbers in the passing game. Hopefully SMU can show them what a team with quality depth at RB can do and our guys can control the clock while giving Tanner some play action looks leading to big plays in the passing game. I do expect a high scoring game but until this SMU team can prove it can win on the road against good teams, I think Maryland will win a close one...something like 41-37. Sure hope I'm wrong and our guys pick up a W and head into TCU week on a high note.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:45 am

https://youtu.be/RRUHF0biBu0

Maryland-Buffalo highlights.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:54 am

https://youtu.be/GPW_HCVdss0

Maryland- Charlotte
ALEX LIFESON

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 am

38-31 Mustangs.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:20 am

no more vanilla playbook. Maryland has quite possibly played the 2 worst teams in the NCAA, Charlotte and Buffalo. Both winless.

45-28 ponies
Pony ^

Postby jpe747 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Pony ^ wrote:no more vanilla playbook. Maryland has quite possibly played the 2 worst teams in the NCAA, Charlotte and Buffalo. Both winless.

45-28 ponies

Yes and Buffalo had more points scored against them by Holy Cross than by Maryland. I thought Holy Cross only played basketball. LOL I have to assume SMU will have a better defense and offense then either charlotte or Buffalo. My question is did Maryland play 'all out' football? How hard is it to get up to play the Holy Cross types?

48-47 ponies (but mine are only numbers from the air)
jpe747
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm

Maryland by 13. Think our OL gets exposed and we can’t keep up. Mordecai throwing off his back foot all day. But Willing to change my prediction based on what JasonB thinks.
Last edited by PNW_Stang on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Oh He Steal! » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi Mustangs. Maryland fan here. I think most Maryland fans, myself included, are expecting a close, high-scoring game.

Buffalo and Charlotte were both underwhelming opponents. It seems many Terp fans were not fully satisfied with the team’s performance in either win, especially against Buffalo. We are hoping (and it appeared) that the team went with extremely vanilla gameplans on both sides of the ball. Sounds like SMU took a similar approach in its games thus far. Most of the concern had to do with the defense. Again, I’m hoping it was mostly due to basic schemes being used. There was also very liberal substituting going on. I think I read that 33 different players saw the field on defense vs Buffalo.

I probably know about as much about SMU as you guys do about Maryland, which is to say, not a lot. Based on posts here, I expect to see from the Terps a pretty similar gameplan to what you expect from your team. I think Maryland will make a much more concerted effort to establish the run than in the first two games, hoping to open up big play opportunities in the passing game.

From a Maryland perspective, I kind of have a bad feeling about this game. If my fears about the defense are legit, I think this one winds up somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-38 with SMU coming out on top.
Oh He Steal!

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Oh He Steal! wrote:Hi Mustangs. Maryland fan here. I think most Maryland fans, myself included, are expecting a close, high-scoring game.

Buffalo and Charlotte were both underwhelming opponents. It seems many Terp fans were not fully satisfied with the team’s performance in either win, especially against Buffalo. We are hoping (and it appeared) that the team went with extremely vanilla gameplans on both sides of the ball. Sounds like SMU took a similar approach in its games thus far. Most of the concern had to do with the defense. Again, I’m hoping it was mostly due to basic schemes being used. There was also very liberal substituting going on. I think I read that 33 different players saw the field on defense vs Buffalo.

I probably know about as much about SMU as you guys do about Maryland, which is to say, not a lot. Based on posts here, I expect to see from the Terps a pretty similar gameplan to what you expect from your team. I think Maryland will make a much more concerted effort to establish the run than in the first two games, hoping to open up big play opportunities in the passing game.

From a Maryland perspective, I kind of have a bad feeling about this game. If my fears about the defense are legit, I think this one winds up somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-38 with SMU coming out on top.

Welome! For the majority of us, your analysis is spot on. No idea after either team played games against lower talent. This game should be close and entertaining. If the weather is decent, this should be a high scoring game.

Thanks for popping on and good luck with the rest of your season.
SmooBoy

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Over Under is 74. Vegas is expecting a high scoring shootout.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:20 pm

Unt.... Now they have 2 wins and look like they can put points on the board.

I am thinking our D is much improved.

Win by one. And I'll be happy!

I even feel a little for the whorns.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Oh He Steal! » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 pm

I expect SMU to be a much tougher opponent than our last few games against a team from Texas.

For anyone traveling to the game, have a safe trip. And good luck to you the rest of the season.
Oh He Steal!

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:55 pm

Recent ESPN AI video game says 56-39 Ponies so yeah good enough for me…
56-39 Stangs
56 -0 will work too…
Go Ponies
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:Recent ESPN AI video game says 56-39 Ponies so yeah good enough for me…
56-39 Stangs
56 -0 will work too…
Go Ponies

We need more well thought out, data driven posts like this. Well done!
Smumba2009
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football