PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New offense

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:02 pm

OK, so we're putting in a new offense under Coach Burns, an offense with more of an emphasis on the pass. Which position group has the biggest adjustment to make? I would imagine the running backs will have the least adjustment, since they were asked to block, anyway, so that will remain a critical part of their assignments.

The easy answer would be the quarterbacks, since they handle the ball on every play, must make different reads, etc. But my thinking is that Romo and Eckert weren't here last year, Meeks didn't play and Phillips ran a trimmed-down version of the offense, so they're all basically starting from scratch.

Am I right in my guess that the biggest changes will be felt in what's asked of the offensive linemen?
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:40 pm

These are young skilled athletes. The problem will not be adjusting to the scheme, as much as it will be adjusting attitudes toward scoring and winning. Remember that most of these kids have come off 0-12 with no offense. Yes, Phillips jazzed it up a bit but the level needs to be raised many bars. These kids need to be drilled that winning is possible and expected every time they go on the field and that will not be an easy task. Losing is a very contagious disease that hopefully will find a cure not too deep into the season. I truly think that Phillips had enough high spots to be confident, but if not at least we have a couple of JC QBS that have experience in winning that may help us over the psychological hump.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:57 am

Good call, mrydel -- the idea that "winning is possible" must be ingrained in these guys' minds. What's impressive is that it is. I've talked to several people who are close to the program, and they say they've never seen enthusiasm and offseason work ethic like they've seen this year. I can't wait to see it all on the field.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:18 am

most of these kids are freshman and sophomores, and the idea of winning still seems in reach i suppose. here's hoping for a .500 season at least, but i'll take a non-winless season too.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Buddha » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:21 pm

The fact that there are so many young players on the team can only benefit the Ponies, not just from a potential growth/improvement standpoint, but also because most of them were winners in high school. Remember, when Coach Bennett signed his 2003 signing class, he talked at length about how many of the guys were winners, having played on state champion teams, or teams that made serious playoff runs.

As for the record, I'll stand by my opinion that we won't break even this year (I see 2-4 wins), but that we should see serious improvement, whether or not that translates to wins on the field. In 2005, the real jump appears.
Buddha
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:12 pm

Can someone explain why it is that Houston was able to make such an improvement, go to a bowl, more w's, etc. with plenty of freshmen, including their QB? Given UH's situation, why is practically accepted that we have to suffer through this long, drawn out rebuilding process? Anyone?
RGV Pony

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:09 am

I'll just say this. Only four teams on our schedule next season had losing records last season. Houston had seven wins last season, all against teams with losing records. If the schedule was different there may be more room for optimism about Ws and Ls for next season.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:47 am

because UH had a big uptick in recruiting under Dana Dimel about 3 years ago-had classes rarted at the top of CUSA-their rebuilding job is several years ahead of SMU. Even though Dimel was fired over a year ago you may remember UH went from 0 WINS TO 5 WINs in his final season. Despite the Briles lovers on the board that program was heading up well before Briles ever set foot on campus.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:31 am

We have an uphill climb. Plus we play all our away games against teams that are pretty good and beating any of these teams would be a surprise. OSU, TCU, Boise (at altitude), Fresno, and Rice. UTEP is the only possible road win that I see and they will be vastly improved. I see some possible wins at home. Tulsa, San Jose State, La. Tech and Nevada being the big possibles. I don't see us beating TT this year, but I'd like it to be more competitive.
EastStang

Postby Roach » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:33 am

Last year's record was a bit misleading. Yes, we lost each game. But there were several games in which we were competitive (Baylor, Nevada, TCU, etc.) The talent level was not what it needs to be (understatement of the year award!) But the promise shown late by youngsters like Phillips, Pellerin, J.Cleveland, Darrin Johnson, Bonds, Jones, etc., was very encouraging, as is the group of players who will be entering the fray this year (Munlin, Akinyemi, Pryor, Boren, Peveto, Massey, Muse, etc.) I don't think we'll win a lot of games this year, but further evidence of the increased talent will be visible. I can't wait for the season to start.
Roach
Heisman

Return to Football