PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU V TCU Memories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU V TCU Memories

Postby GHammond » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm

As a kid growing up in an SMU household and family, my earliest memories go back to the mid-late 60’s, with the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in ‘68 being one of the first...Hixson, LeVias, loved Hammond, Coach Fry, but I seem to remember us always beating TCU. I looked it up....from ‘66 through my time on the Hilltop in the late 70’s and beyond, we beat TCU 19 out of 21 games (what the heck happened in 70 & 71?!?). In fact, the Ponies won 15 straight from 72-86. Yikes. TCU was always sort of an after thought in my mind, as a school and football program. Obviously, the DP and conference realignment changed everything post 1986, but the frogs in recent years have not dominated like we have historically dominated them, even though it has somewhat felt like it (they won 7 in a row and six in a row during this period). I maintain that they have always had an inferiority complex towards SMU, as our campus, student body, prestige, and historical reputation has always out distanced theirs. So, the only thing they really have going for them as something to shake in our face is their recent football success against us, otherwise, in my mind, just that school to the west. Our two game winning streak is nice, but we need to continue to outclass them, something we have always done, in all areas. Thankful the rivalry has some renewed buzz. BEAT the frogs! PonyUP!
GHammond
Varsity

Re: SMU V TCU Memories

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Moved to Dallas in 1959 and lived in a neighborhood with Tom Landry and Hayden Fry. Latched onto the Cowboys before SMU but I remember 1st getting interested in SMU basketball in the 60's when the Mustangs were a force in the SWC under Doc Hayes. Football got my attention when SMU made it to The Cotton Bowl only to get whipped by Georgia but 1st TCU memories are when I started attending SMU in he early 70's. Series has seen it's ups and downs but right now it has become very competitive so this is a fun time to enjoy this rivalry.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GHammond » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:12 pm

..and PS - a buddy of mine just called to make our annual SMU / TCU bet, complete with trash talking on both sides...he told me something I had forgotten...he cheered at TCU in 74, 75, and 76 and saw only 2 victories...we had a bit of that along the way as well....he said he is still traumatized, and has recurring dreams about Earl Campbell and George Woodard.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:26 pm

GHammond wrote: has recurring dreams about Earl Campbell and George Woodard.

Before Earl Campbell, Roosevelt Leaks traumatized me during my years at SMU. Texas traumatized both SMU and TCU for years until we started beating them in the pre death penalty days and it was fun watching TCU dominate them more recently as Big XII conference mates
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football