PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pac-12 commissioner says he doesn't expect any more teams le

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Pac-12 commissioner says he doesn't expect any more team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:10 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:Good and good riddance. Time to look at the ACC. The west is dying and the PAC12 will eventually cave.

Navy, i think you’re missing the bigger picture here.

ACC apparently is not looking to expand right now…when they do, Fl State, Clemson, NCarolina and Miami + others will likely be gone. So you’re advocating hooking up with Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest several years down the road?????

SMU’s strategy is very simple

1) get into any P5 ASAP, take the 1st offer regardless
2) now comes the hard part….ASAP, show that you BELONG!!!

3) When the potential shakeout occurs and there may only be 3 conferences remaining…prove you & Dallas belong
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 am

The original "super conference" discussion from the early 90's proposed four 16 member conferences but even back then I favored the four 18 member conferences because with 9 teams in each division, you could play 4 home/4 away games with comparable schedules determining each division champion. That model would have essentially set up an 8 team playoff. Back then, teams played an 11 game schedule which still allowed for 3 "non-conference" games and I remember the discussion being that schools from different divisions within the same conference could play each other in what would amount to "non-conference" games which would not count against their "division" records but would help keep some rivalries alive. I seem to recall Texas vs Oklahoma was one of those rivalry concerns when the talk was the SWC and Big 8 would form one of the conferences

Who knows how this will all shake out but I'd still like to think that 72 team model competing at the highest level might be the way to go, especially if it allowed conferences to be more regional
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:27 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Water Pony wrote:One team appears to be a "lock" to join PAC12, which expects no further departures to B1G or BigXII:

Yeah, consensus is SD St is a lock, followed by either SMU, Fresno St or Boise St

I personally don’t get this

TV Market - Dallas 5, Fresno 55, Boise 101
US News Ranking - SMU 72nd, Fresno 250, Boise 331-440
Endowment - SMU $2B+, Fresno $171 Million, Boise $156 Million

ex-Fox Sports Prez says deciding factors are Market Size, Academics, Culture

IMO, Boise’s past success not near as meaningful in the NIL world

I don't get it either. Boise at least has made some noise relatively recently. Fresno brings absolutely nothing. Neither is anywhere near as good a cultural fit as SMU, in addition to the factors you mention. Sure, it's a longer plane flight (in most cases, at least--it's not all that far from Tempe and Tucson and Boulder to DFW), but all three locations will be plane flights anyway for everyone except Cal/Stanford to Fresno and Wazzu to Boise. SDSU will be a plane flight for everyone.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 pm

further updates on PAC expansion:

Per PAC Commissioner GK, “We’re going to do a media rights deal here in the near future, which will close the gap between us and the Big Ten and the SEC.”

While i am suspect about the $$$ amount, he is now on record as saying a deal is soon. Prior GK has said ‘Media Rights deal first, Expansion second.’

Also from Jon Wilner- “Could the second deal allow the Pac-12 to pull even given the soaring value of media rights for college football? Even with the potential for the conference to add markets through expansion — perhaps San Diego (San Diego State) and Dallas (SMU) — we’re deeply skeptical.”
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:44 pm

The PAC 12 Presidents and Chancellorsare expected to meet next week about media deals, which may or may not account for expansion at the same time. However, it is on the table in the near future.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... -expansion
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PonyTales » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Please go west!
PonyTales
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football