PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pac-12 commissioner says he doesn't expect any more teams le

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Pac-12 commissioner says he doesn't expect any more team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:06 pm

redpony wrote:CP- agree, However, we need to decide if we want to stay in a garbage conference or just shut down the fb program. I have no desire to see us in a group of low level second level fb teams and a conference that is even below cusa, mwc etc.

So don't be a fan. That's your choice. I will support our program no matter who we are competing against. Far too many SMU alumni share your attitude but unfortunately there is no entitlement in college football. Nobody is going to invite SMU to the "big boy table" until we earn it. I'm just thankful we have enough wealthy boosters who still care about this program and I'm encouraged by the record student attendance so far this season. Almost 75% of undergrads appear to care so that could bode well for the future. The death penalty cost SMU a generation of football fans and it still shows
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm

SMUer wrote:Sweating though my underwear in the bounce-house area, alternatively watching my kids and running over to the hill to watch a few snaps; also taking turns with my wife waiting in line for waters or lemon icees. Our stadium seats “burn” my kids butts too much for them to sit down there. That’s how my game went, how was yours?

Those aluminum bleachers seemed like a good idea when Ford was built. I remember we had to buy seat cushions for that opening game vs Kansas when it was still over 100 degrees at game time
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm

My point is counting on folks like me as the “meat” of our fan demographic is a mistake. We will not provide the consistency, durability nor the atmosphere we are after.
SMUer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:10 pm

Go Mustangs.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:17 pm

SMUer wrote:My point is counting on folks like me as the “meat” of our fan demographic is a mistake. We will not provide the consistency, durability nor the atmosphere we are after.

SMU students, alumni and their families have to be the foundation of our fan base but we definitely need a product that will attract college football fans from the Dallas metro area to have any hope of filling Ford Stadium, especially an expanded Ford with 40k seats
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:51 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
So don't be a fan. That's your choice. I will support our program no matter who we are competing against. Far too many SMU alumni share your attitude but unfortunately there is no entitlement in college football. Nobody is going to invite SMU to the "big boy table" until we earn it.

and that is just the point. we may have big $$ donors but they don't play the game. what we have on the field is pathetic and IMO a lot of that also falls on the coaches. Face it, we were not only out played today but seriously out coached.
Many wonder why we have attendance problems. what excitement is there is playing a 'directional' school or a Lamar or ACU? Who cares? Today was an example of playing a team where fans will show up, second level schools- forget it.

And yes, I will likely start watching more of the Ohio St. games.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:03 pm

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
So don't be a fan. That's your choice. I will support our program no matter who we are competing against. Far too many SMU alumni share your attitude but unfortunately there is no entitlement in college football. Nobody is going to invite SMU to the "big boy table" until we earn it.

and that is just the point. we may have big $$ donors but they don't play the game. what we have on the field is pathetic and IMO a lot of that also falls on the coaches. Face it, we were not only out played today but seriously out coached.
Many wonder why we have attendance problems. what excitement is there is playing a 'directional' school or a Lamar or ACU? Who cares? Today was an example of playing a team where fans will show up, second level schools- forget it.

Red, you over dramatize.

Our performance is hardly pathetic.

We slugged in out with a Maryland team on the road that today lost to #4 ranked Michigan in the Big House by 1 TD.

We got outplayed today by a team that may be ranked next week.

We ‘should’ be competitive in conference play and with NIL $$ our future looks bright….relatively speaking
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:30 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Our performance is hardly pathetic. We slugged in out with a Maryland team on the road that today lost to #4 ranked Michigan in the Big House by 1 TD. We got outplayed today by a team that may be ranked next week. We ‘should’ be competitive in conference play and with NIL $$ our future looks bright….relatively speaking

At least that's what we hope!
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:41 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Red, you over dramatize.

Our performance is hardly pathetic.

We slugged in out with a Maryland team on the road that today lost to #4 ranked Michigan in the Big House by 1 TD.

We got outplayed today by a team that may be ranked next week.

We ‘should’ be competitive in conference play and with NIL $$ our future looks bright….relatively speaking

Don't waste your time or emotional energy with him. He's either a well disguised troll or a very pathetic person. Sadly, probably the later.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:48 am

Canzano & Wilner have a new podcast out, interviewing Bob Thompson, former head of Fox Sports

at 40:30 mark they talk expansion

Thompson says SD St is a no-brainer….after that he’s not certain PAC should expand to 12.

3 Criteria are: Market Size, Culture, Academics

SMU of course gets mentioned
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:11 pm

Report that the economics don't work right now for B1G Ten to expand again after USC/UCLA, at least not until the end of the decade.

https://sports360az.com/2022/10/pac-12- ... e-big-ten/
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Nedward » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:10 am

Probably the most sane and informed view I've seen in quite some time. And it happens to be about 99% correct. I'm actually looking for the 1% not correct.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:43 pm

One team appears to be a "lock" to join PAC12, which expects no further departures to B1G or BigXII:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... b315c277b6
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:31 pm

Good and good riddance. Time to look at the ACC. The west is dying and the PAC12 will eventually cave.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:58 pm

Water Pony wrote:One team appears to be a "lock" to join PAC12, which expects no further departures to B1G or BigXII:

Yeah, consensus is SD St is a lock, followed by either SMU, Fresno St or Boise St

I personally don’t get this

TV Market - Dallas 5, Fresno 55, Boise 101
US News Ranking - SMU 72nd, Fresno 250, Boise 331-440
Endowment - SMU $2B+, Fresno $171 Million, Boise $156 Million

ex-Fox Sports Prez says deciding factors are Market Size, Academics, Culture

IMO, Boise’s past success not near as meaningful in the NIL world
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football