PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

smu-tcu game thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: smu-tcu game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:48 pm

It's amazing that TCU only outgained SMU 487 - 476. Excluding QB stats, TCU averaged 8.7 yards per carry to SMU's 3.2

As for play calling, I feel bad for Cam Wheaton because when he enters the game the defense knows he's going to get the carry. I think he was used as a decoy once that I can recall in today's game and the throw in the flat to him was ill-advised and Tanner was fortunate that wasn't a pick 6
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:14 pm

Pretty simple folks.... all these games come down to clean execution. We can talk in circles all we want but when you look at Lamar, Maryland and now TCU we have underperformed due to poor execution, sloppy AF play. I don't understand the 2 point conversion call but other than that we are losing because we are sloppy. Where I come from this is called playing at your floor. What if UNT was us playing at our ceiling?
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:20 pm

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more from SMU, after years (read: decades) of below-average performance. SMU does have a strong football legacy and it’s disappointing to be in a JV league.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:23 pm

Smumba2009 wrote:Pretty simple folks.... all these games come down to clean execution. We can talk in circles all we want but when you look at Lamar, Maryland and now TCU we have underperformed due to poor execution, sloppy AF play. I don't understand the 2 point conversion call but other than that we are losing because we are sloppy. Where I come from this is called playing at your floor. What if UNT was us playing at our ceiling?

I liked the decision to go for two because at that point in the game you are hoping for a stop to get the ball back and go score again to tie the game. If you settle for one and a 7 point deficit, you have to decide whether to go for one and go to OT or two to win in regulation. Going for two early takes the guess work out of that second score if/when you get to that point, After Upshaw choked that play, we knew we would have to convert a 2 pointer to get to OT. He makes that play and a stop and another score probably wins that game for SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more from SMU, after years (read: decades) of below-average performance. SMU does have a strong football legacy and it’s disappointing to be in a JV league.

You don't get invited to the big boy table based on your legacy. SMU has a lot of work to do to earn that invitation.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:30 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more from SMU, after years (read: decades) of below-average performance. SMU does have a strong football legacy and it’s disappointing to be in a JV league.

You don't get invited to the big boy table based on your legacy. SMU has a lot of work to do to earn that invitation.

My point is that our own internal expectations should be to have a better product on the field…we should expect more and it’s disappointing that we just don’t seem to ever get it done. Of course we’ll never getting a P5 invite with these performances.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

My point is that our own internal expectations should be to have a better product on the field…we should expect more and it’s disappointing that we just don’t seem to ever get it done. Of course we’ll never getting a P5 invite with these performances.

The most encouraging thing from this season so far has been the significant increase in student attendance. We need to continue building a fan base that will help recruiting and raise our profile. There are years and years of post death penalty apathy to make up for.
Charleston Pony

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:44 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Smumba2009 wrote:Pretty simple folks.... all these games come down to clean execution. We can talk in circles all we want but when you look at Lamar, Maryland and now TCU we have underperformed due to poor execution, sloppy AF play. I don't understand the 2 point conversion call but other than that we are losing because we are sloppy. Where I come from this is called playing at your floor. What if UNT was us playing at our ceiling?

I liked the decision to go for two because at that point in the game you are hoping for a stop to get the ball back and go score again to tie the game. If you settle for one and a 7 point deficit, you have to decide whether to go for one and go to OT or two to win in regulation. Going for two early takes the guess work out of that second score if/when you get to that point, After Upshaw choked that play, we knew we would have to convert a 2 pointer to get to OT. He makes that play and a stop and another score probably wins that game for SMU

Thanks for the explanation... makes sense ....
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:50 pm

This game, and most games against p5 competition, come down to a handful of athletes who are superior to what we trot out. TCU has benefitted from over a decade of being successful in a P5 conference. They routinely, based on the rankings, beat us on the recruiting trail. We have made some progress - the portal, NIL, and better recruiting, but we just aren't there yet.

In order to win, we must play a nearly perfect game - no drops, no turnovers, and even the trick plays get positive yards. And hope we cause TCU to make a few mistakes.

I don't know what else we can do with regards to recruiting than hope a P5 conference throws us a lifeline. I guess hitting the portal hard and keep pounding away at the high schools.

I hate losing. But we were competitive, and that was not always the case in the past.

Have we played the best two teams on our schedule? That is what I would like to know?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:58 pm

[quote="crazy horse"]This game, and most games against p5 competition, come down to a handful of athletes who are superior to what we trot out. TCU has benefitted from over a decade of being successful in a P5 conference. They routinely, based on the rankings, beat us on the recruiting trail. We have made some progress - the portal, NIL, and better recruiting, but we just aren't there yet.

In order to win, we must play a nearly perfect game - no drops, no turnovers, and even the trick plays get positive yards. And hope we cause TCU to make a few mistakes.

I don't know what else we can do with regards to recruiting than hope a P5 conference throws us a lifeline. I guess hitting the portal hard and keep pounding away at the high schools.

I hate losing. But we were competitive, and that was not always the case in the past.

Have we played the best two teams on our schedule? That is what I would like to know?[/quote

Solid thought process here. I don't believe in transferrance for numerous reasons... with that said Maryland did push what appears to be a very solid Michigan team today. Cincinnati appears to be finding their form. UCF looks very beatable as does Houston. Tulane also looks challenging.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:31 pm

nm
Last edited by ponyboy on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 pm

Maryland gave #4 Michigan all they could handle.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby crazy horse » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:31 pm

We need to wipe the dust off, put our big boy pants on and run through the AAC. We should not be scared of anyone in the AAC. I do believe that we have face the two best teams on our schedule. Get folks healthy, clean up some miscues, get our stars involved - Camar? And let's win this conference!

BTW - Will Tropical storm/hurricane Ian be a factor? Right now it hits Florida on Thursday. But that could be way off.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:17 am

crazy horse wrote:We need to wipe the dust off, put our big boy pants on and run through the AAC. We should not be scared of anyone in the AAC. I do believe that we have face the two best teams on our schedule. Get folks healthy, clean up some miscues, get our stars involved - Camar? And let's win this conference!

BTW - Will Tropical storm/hurricane Ian be a factor? Right now it hits Florida on Thursday. But that could be way off.

This storm could absolutely disrupt the schedule this week if it develops into a Cat 4 storm and runs through Orlando...definitely something to watch this week. UCF will be tough at home and should be another close game. Cincy looks like they will be tough again and not sure what to make of Houston but at least we get the latter two at home, although that didn't help yesterday. Neither Cincy or Houston will bring the crowd TCU did although Houston might be close. Hopefully our students and alumni don't lose faith too early in the season but the last 2 weeks certainly have been disappointing.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:01 am

DallasMustang11 wrote:How does a former qb bounce a 10 yard pass to a wide open receiver????

Especially when he could’ve sprinted to the corner, and scored. Ouch :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football