PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TM

Postby orguy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:47 pm

Attention to detail is not your forte I see. Reread my post. As for team morale:
are you a coach at SMU? Glad you have the pulse of the team and can share
with us.
orguy
All-American

Postby Smumba2009 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:20 pm

Watch the game highlights from TCU and Maryland and tell me if the O-LINE is playing well. Let's put some pressure on them to sharply improve and watch Tanner and the RB's productivity go through the roof.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Smumba2009 wrote:Watch the game highlights from TCU and Maryland and tell me if the O-LINE is playing well. Let's put some pressure on them to sharply improve and watch Tanner and the RB's productivity go through the roof.

What pressure? We just paid them 35k+
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:30 pm

orguy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who has been to practice knows that Preston Stone is nowhere close to being ready to supplant Mordecai

Arrogant comment. Glad you are not a coach. Preston needs some reps non garbage
time. There are also other factors at play as stated. If he sits all season he will transfer.
Not advocating he start but that he gains some real world experience. If Lashlee fails
to do this as TM continues to struggle then it speaks volumes about his judgement.

Arrogant? He speaks the truth. The reason RL has physical practices at a very quick tempo is to see how the players will do in practice under game conditions. That is where you develop and learn, not in games. If Stone is struggling in practice, what makes you think he is going to suddenly get better in actual games? Struggling is too strong a word to use, because he isn't struggling. But TM is outplaying him in practice.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby orguy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:11 am

Disagree. Glad you guys have the time to consult with Rhett or
attend practice daily. Stone has different strengths and weaknesses vs
TM. I was advocating, based on empirical evidence gathered from
observation, that it might be time to give Stone some reps under
real world conditions given TM's struggles against better DL's.
Yes, our OL sucks! Ya don't say?
orguy
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:24 am

Smumba2009 wrote:Watch the game highlights from TCU and Maryland and tell me if the O-LINE is playing well. Let's put some pressure on them to sharply improve and watch Tanner and the RB's productivity go through the roof.

On point.

Sadly, the one major transfer that followed SD to TCU may have been the key to this game. While Duggan got sacked a lot - because we were blitzing a lot - Alan Ali was helping to give Max Duggan all the time he needed - picking up some of our blitzes quite well in some key situations. Meanwhile, the protection was not there for Tanner.

In short - their best o-Lineman was the one that played for us last year. And he was better than our O-Linemen.

I thought we picked up a bunch of O-Linemen from P5 programs this past year - are they playing yet?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:02 am

orguy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who has been to practice knows that Preston Stone is nowhere close to being ready to supplant Mordecai

Arrogant comment. Glad you are not a coach. Preston needs some reps non garbage
time. There are also other factors at play as stated. If he sits all season he will transfer.
Not advocating he start but that he gains some real world experience. If Lashlee fails
to do this as TM continues to struggle then it speaks volumes about his judgement.

This one won't age well for you bub. If Preston was going to transfer, he would have done it already.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 pm

PonyTime wrote:

On point.

Sadly, the one major transfer that followed SD to TCU may have been the key to this game. While Duggan got sacked a lot - because we were blitzing a lot - Alan Ali was helping to give Max Duggan all the time he needed - picking up some of our blitzes quite well in some key situations. Meanwhile, the protection was not there for Tanner.

In short - their best o-Lineman was the one that played for us last year. And he was better than our O-Linemen.

I thought we picked up a bunch of O-Linemen from P5 programs this past year - are they playing yet?

I'll share the opposite perspective: TCU has 3 sacks, 7 TFL and 2 hurries. SMU had 5, 9, and 1.

Additionally, HIckman has been actually good this year. I don't think we miss Ali at all. Our problems defensively were NOT on the DL, they were LB and S, and PFF agrees with that perspective.

In fact, we have played the hardest schedule in the AAC. Yet, Hickman is the highest rated center in conference. Osborne is the highest rated guard, and JT is 7 and Bissinger is 12. Bryant is the top tackle, Condon is way down at 16, which is still actually above average in conference for the second guard.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree with the OL. We have the highest rated OL in conference according to PFF. Our problem is that our WR and TE blocking is terrible, and we called the wrong types of runs against 3 man fronts.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 pm

Mordecai needs to get healthy. That rib shot looked painful Saturday.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:47 am

JasonB wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Watch the game highlights from TCU and Maryland and tell me if the O-LINE is playing well. Let's put some pressure on them to sharply improve and watch Tanner and the RB's productivity go through the roof.

On point.

I'll share the opposite perspective: TCU has 3 sacks, 7 TFL and 2 hurries. SMU had 5, 9, and 1.

Additionally, HIckman has been actually good this year. I don't think we miss Ali at all. Our problems defensively were NOT on the DL, they were LB and S, and PFF agrees with that perspective.

In fact, we have played the hardest schedule in the AAC. Yet, Hickman is the highest rated center in conference. Osborne is the highest rated guard, and JT is 7 and Bissinger is 12. Bryant is the top tackle, Condon is way down at 16, which is still actually above average in conference for the second guard.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree with the OL. We have the highest rated OL in conference according to PFF. Our problem is that our WR and TE blocking is terrible, and we called the wrong types of runs against 3 man fronts.

It felt like TM did not have the time to throw as he did in the previous two games and that he got hit more than usual. But since you have watched this twice - you would know. Sounds like you are pointing to the play calling - which is good, because that can always change.

Ali did pick up some blitzes at key moments in that game though leading to third down conversions in single coverage. And I am no fan of Ali - at all!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football