PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TM

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:55 pm

During the first 8 games of last season, his ESPN QBR was 75 and SMU went 8-0

In 6 of his last 8 games, his ESPN QBR is 50 and SMU has gone 1-5

Also, with our OL/RB issues, I like the idea of a more mobile QB
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TM

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:58 pm

Wasn’t he banged up today? I heard something about playing with an injury. Some great throws and some lacking ones.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:05 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Wasn’t he banged up today? I heard something about playing with an injury. Some great throws and some lacking ones.

I hadn’t heard that, just seems to my untrained eye that he has been in an 8-week funk. And all the hype about his improvement was just that….hype.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:27 pm

There is no question that a mobile QB causes fits for a defense and given he problems we had in the running game today, it would have been huge for Tanner to run more. That's the beauty of having a capable backup which we are at least being told we have. Down the road, if Preston is the heir apparent, it appears we could have very capable backups on the roster so that's encouraging.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:45 pm

Yes - he took a shot on a hard tackle in the second quarter. Looked like his ribs, but not sure.
He only missed a play, but his body language looked like there was some serious pain involved.
Seems fair to wonder if that affected some ensuing passes.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Doesntmatter » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:48 pm

He's been unlucky on a couple of very critical interceptions with receivers falling down in the last two games. Had those slips not happened, we could very well be 4-0. A conference championship would be a nice cure for all of us and be nice for Tanner. Let Preston take care of TCU next year.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby orguy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:56 pm

Time for Preston Stone to get some serious reps. He is the future.
Given TM's struggles maybe sooner rather than later. We are 2-2 and
sitting Stone the rest of the season would be folly.
orguy
All-American

Postby Big Hoss » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:07 pm

A more consistent running game would help take some pressure off Tanner and the passing game. As it stands this running back by a 5 man committee isn’t really helping anyone.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:20 pm

The TM apologists still continuing to defend this guy is really hard to believe.
I see a guy that is not very mobile in the pocket, has limited arm strength and even worse is seldom accurate on his throws and worst of all doesn’t seem to have many leadership skills, if any.
I also understand he has yet another year of eligibility left?
Anyone that thinks Preston Stone is gonna hang around for this crap another year and a half is delusional.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:13 am

Anyone who has been to practice knows that Preston Stone is nowhere close to being ready to supplant Mordecai
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:34 am

Like they say, the backup QB is usually one of the most popular guys on the roster. Lashlee was involved in Stone's early recruiting and you have to believe he recognizes Stone's importance to the future of this program, but there are going to be other guys competing for the job of leading the SMU offense as well. Kevin Jennings certainly proved he is a "winner" and the 2024 recruit Tyler Aronson might be another guy to watch. Have to trust the coaches to play the guy who gives SMU it's best chance to win (and to protect the coaches jobs!)
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:21 am

Last 2 Games are on TM,
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby redpony » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:41 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who has been to practice knows that Preston Stone is nowhere close to being ready to supplant Mordecai

and without a lot of real game experience he will not get to that level. IMO if he doesn't get some serious playing time this year I would not be surprised to see him enter the portal.
redpony

Postby orguy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who has been to practice knows that Preston Stone is nowhere close to being ready to supplant Mordecai

Arrogant comment. Glad you are not a coach. Preston needs some reps non garbage
time. There are also other factors at play as stated. If he sits all season he will transfer.
Not advocating he start but that he gains some real world experience. If Lashlee fails
to do this as TM continues to struggle then it speaks volumes about his judgement.
orguy
All-American

Postby ponyswim » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:35 pm

orguy wrote:

Arrogant comment. Glad you are not a coach. Preston needs some reps non garbage
time. There are also other factors at play as stated. If he sits all season he will transfer.
Not advocating he start but that he gains some real world experience. If Lashlee fails
to do this as TM continues to struggle then it speaks volumes about his judgement.

The coaches and many more football educated people than me have continually stated that Tanner is a way better quarterback option for SMU now than Preston is. I am sure the players recognize the same thing. To play someone who is clearly not as good as another player is a terrible strategy for team morale. Tanner needs to get better, the WHOLE rest of the team needs to get better. Preston will likely get opportunities during the next few games, but I think Preston is mature enough to know that he has to EARN the position.
ponyswim
Varsity

Next

Return to Football