PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

After yesterday are we now facing Back2Back2Back losses?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: After yesterday are we now facing Back2Back2Back losses?

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:20 pm

Easy to blame the administration but "reality" is that there aren't enough people who really care about SMU athletics as evidenced by our poor attendance figures year after year. Yes, SMU alumni can be incredibly privileged and entitled and there are some who might come out if SMU fields teams that win championships and can compete at a top 10 level but not until. There are plenty of P5 programs that are consistently mid level programs and haven't sniffed top 25 status in years that enjoy far more fan support than SMU and yes, I know those are for the most part public schools with much larger student and alumni populations but that is as much a reason for SMU athletics being where they are as anything.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:21 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:there is only one main consistent piece in the last 25+ years and that starts and ends with Gerald Turner. It applies to our lack of progress on both the academic side (which to me is the most important part) but also on the football and sports side (which after all the amounts of money invested and thrown into this) we should be in a much better position than where we are at. The buck has to stop with someone, and it is long past due we bring in someone to lead us who can get this university into a top 50 national ranking, Tier 1 carnegie classification and the sports programs into a Power conference.

Amen, brother. Just don't know what it will take to get him to retire. We've slipped academically and that's just not acceptable.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Easy to blame the administration but "reality" is that there aren't enough people who really care about SMU athletics as evidenced by our poor attendance figures year after year. Yes, SMU alumni can be incredibly privileged and entitled and there are some who might come out if SMU fields teams that win championships and can compete at a top 10 level but not until. There are plenty of P5 programs that are consistently mid level programs and haven't sniffed top 25 status in years that enjoy far more fan support than SMU and yes, I know those are for the most part public schools with much larger student and alumni populations but that is as much a reason for SMU athletics being where they are as anything.

A key difference is that none of these other schools/programs had a lost generation that we did because of the death penalty. We have to do above and beyond what other schools do to get the attendance and attention we want. It's a bit of chicken and the egg but understand where we have been because of the death penalty what needs to drive this is the football program, and it needs to perform at an excellent level on a sustainable basis, to get the eye balls we need. Dallas will support winners. You saw a bit of it in the basketball program, and even though football needs 5x that level, it can be done with much more success. At some point, we can't keep blaming the fans if the football product is sub-par. Has Turner done enough with the power 5 commissioners and positioning SMU? Have we had the best athletic directors that we can? or do most just settle? the answers to some of these questions will point to one person ultimately responsible.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:57 pm

Maroons, you & I parrot each other on a lot of these issues, so of course i agree with your post.

Just seems so painfully obvious to some of us yet nothing changes.

That tells me the dead weight at the top is not limited to RGT. We are stagnant and i suspect the leadership is ok with that as long as they retain power.

RGT for 27 years and counting is a disgrace.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football