PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Running back rotation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Running back rotation

Postby Lefty » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 am

Anyone else confused by the early rotation? We know about Velton Gardner's eye before the first game and Camar Wheaton's ankle before Lamar. Everyone seems impressed with VG and TJ McDaniel -- did TJ even play against TCU?

Siggers is fine, and if they want to start him because he's a senior, OK. But I want to see more Wheaton, and someone please dust off Brandon Epton. He showed a little bit last year, and it would be nice to see him worked in the rotation.

Of course, that means a rotation of (in no particular order) Siggers, Wheaton, Gardner, Lavine, McDaniel, Epton (and maybe one day Montaye Dawson?) in an offense that rarely has more than one in the game at a time. Pretty crowded back there.
Lefty
All-American

Re: Running back rotation

Postby SMULaxer » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:08 pm

I have no idea how they're going to keep all of these backs out of the portal
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:35 pm

RL said before the game he was going to shortenthe rotation, and he did - two main backs and then he snuck Wheaton some carries. The best two on any given practice week will be the top two to go. All the analytics point to VG as a better back, but Siggers is a much better blocker and also catches the ball better out of the backfield. I think it will end up as VG + CW, but I don't know how long it will take to get there.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:33 am

SMULaxer wrote:I have no idea how they're going to keep all of these backs out of the portal

lol, if those are your 7 backs, you are putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage IF your goal is to compete & win Championships.

Let’s recruit better & work the Portal using NIL $$$.

We have to upgrade this position.
SoCal_Pony

Postby BUS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am

Have you seen wheaton tweets. He can leave anytime if that is really him posting.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:48 pm

What about Camars tweets?

Epton seems like he will always be a 1.7 YPC type back. Maybe in the future he improves. Siggers isn’t as good as McDaniel IMO, but maybe he’s the better blocker/pass catcher.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby smubrooks » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:14 pm

I refuse to get twitter. What do his tweets say?
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:52 pm

I don’t think Camar has tweeted in months, at least not on his Camar Wheaton account
SoCal_Pony

Postby mtrout » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Camar hasn't looked good to me from what I've seen. That being said, I don't feel like they've given him much of a chance. Running him up the middle with nowhere to run, taking him out after 1 drop, etc. Seems weird to me. Let the horses run coach.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:56 pm

I think we should go "old school" some. Line up Lavine as a fullback and then have TJ or Camar or Siggers run straight up the gut behind him. Heck, even go wish bone, fake handoff off tackle to Gardner (or TJ or Camar) and run it up the gut with Siggers with Lavine leading. Regardless, I'd like to see more straight dive plays. We've seen some success there. When we go out wide it's a [Deleted] show mostly.

And nothing is more demoralizing to a team if you can get 3-4 yards whenever you want going straight up the gut.
ojaipony

Postby crispy_taco » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 pm

RUN THE DAMN BALL

I agree with yall. Need to see more plays with lead blockers such as lavine. Mordecai’s play will improve when the receivers are actually able to get open as well. What I would like more than anything for SMU to do is recruit big mfs. Dominating the trenches is what would set us apart from our current G5 competition. It would also give us the ability to consistently beat P5 teams

It’s hard to get those guys at our level but if I could wish for one thing it would be that we have a huge salary based NIL collective like Texas has for linemen

“Pancake Factory” NIL collective at texas. I know we already have substantial collectives but I would really like a targeted approach to big men.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -charities
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby orguy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:13 pm

crispy_taco wrote:RUN THE DAMN BALL

I agree with yall. Need to see more plays with lead blockers such as lavine. Mordecai’s play will improve when the receivers are actually able to get open as well. What I would like more than anything for SMU to do is recruit big mfs. Dominating the trenches is what would set us apart from our current G5 competition. It would also give us the ability to consistently beat P5 teams

It’s hard to get those guys at our level but if I could wish for one thing it would be that we have a huge salary based NIL collective like Texas has for linemen

“Pancake Factory” NIL collective at texas. I know we already have substantial collectives but I would really like a targeted approach to big men.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -charities

Given our OL woes it's no wonder guys like Camar are struggling. Yes, hard to get
4/5 star line talent at little ole SMU. Unlikely to change. Sadly. Hope I am wrong.
Perhaps NIL will change the things.
orguy
All-American

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:09 pm

The O line makes or breaks the backs... I agree we need to focus our recruiting efforts here. I great line can make a good backfield uber productive and protect the QB. A bad line can make a legendary backfield a pile of dog poo and cause the QB all kinds of issues.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:53 am

crispy_taco wrote:Dominating the trenches is what would set us apart from our current G5 competition. It would also give us the ability to consistently beat P5 teams

This^^

That was the first thing that jumped out at me when our D lined up against TCU. We have the skill guys to run with most, but we need to build or buy P3 (not a typo) size on both lines to become what we want to be.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:23 am

Did we get a glimpse of the future last night with Preston at QB and Camar his RB in mop up duty? Looked like Wheaton may have taken a shot to the ribs and was hurting on the sideline. Hope he doesn't become an injury prone "could have been" guy
Charleston Pony

Return to Football