PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thinking about becoming about an optimist

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thinking about becoming about an optimist

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:07 pm

We lose to the Toads by 8. They beat #18 Oklahoma by 31.

We lose to Maryland by 7. They lose to # 4 Michigan by 7 and beat Michigan State by 14.

Comparative scores are an imperfect measure (to say the least), but our two loses don't look so bad this morning.

Ask me how I feel after Wednesday night.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Re: Thinking about becoming about an optimist

Postby Water Pony » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:16 pm

I agree that some optimism is justified; most importantly long term. We aren’t your ‘90s and 00’s Mustangs. We have earned our progress during the last decade and one should expect we are both competitive and have greater appeal to media and, hopefully, a P5 Conference.

Perhaps we can pursue a conference championship and a 8+ win season this year.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:51 pm

A win Wednesday would be huge
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:40 pm

I'm an optimist every summer.

During the Sonny days, I could extend it into Sept/Oct, until the late season collapses.

And then I can become an optimist all over again when I see the off-season "just wait til next season" posts on PonyFans.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:09 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:We lose to the Toads by 8. They beat #18 Oklahoma by 31.

We lose to Maryland by 7. They lose to # 4 Michigan by 7 and beat Michigan State by 14.

Comparative scores are an imperfect measure (to say the least), but our two loses don't look so bad this morning.

Ask me how I feel after Wednesday night.

Your instinct is supported by statistics and Sharp College Football Rankings. After TCU's performance against OU they moved up to the #7 spot while Maryland cruised up to #5 after handling Michigan State. Remember Maryland spotted Michigan 7 on the opening kickoff fumble so they're as good as you think. Because of TCU and Maryland's strong performance SMU has been lifted from #18 in large part due to strength of schedule/record to #11. The below link works best on a PC. I am particularly excited to see that we are the clear conference favorite where our greatest challenges are expected to come from Tulsa, Tulane, Cincinnati and UFC in that order. His brand of analysis may not be for everyone. I find it refreshing amongst all the other mainstream biased opinions.

https://www.sharpcollegefootball.com/
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Um, this poll is starting to look more reasonable.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:20 am

Let's just beat UCF Wednesday night...something we've never been able to do in Orlando. That would make me very optimistic about how the rest of this season might turn out.
Charleston Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:28 am

Optimism is on hold for the foreseeable future.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am

Tap the brakes...
Time to see what Preston can do.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:29 am

There you go thinking again, Max. Gets a lot of us in trouble every time we do :lol:

My pre-game predictions had us 4-1 right now only losing on the road at Maryland. I do think we bounce back and handle Navy. In fact, we just might light up the scoreboard against them if we can keep them from controlling the clock
Charleston Pony

Postby Rla1022 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:51 am

Unfortunately the last 2 games were played against coaches who knew exactly what Lashlee was going to do. Dykes knew the team and played that to his advantage against Lashlee who worked for him. Lashlee learned under him and was his OC. Malzahn has known Lashlee since 7th grade. Let that sink in. The guy coached Lashlee in highschool, gave him his first jobs (along with most of the staff). There is not a single play that on offense or defense that Lashlee could have run that neither of them hadn’t shown him. They knew his offense and defense plays because they were theirs.

These kids got beat by 3 really good teams so far this year. I’m highly optimistic. Rice and Tanner are both highly ranked in the NATION.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby MDJenkins » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:59 pm

What you’re saying are these more experienced coaches’ (Dykes and Malzahn) familiarity with the systems out trumped Lashlee’s ability to get the upper hand? At least Lashlee admitted a few poor decisions made last night. I like that he is transparent and takes responsibility. I think we finish at .500 and unfortunately get invited to a “local” bowl game.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Oldmins » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:41 pm

Rla1022 wrote:Unfortunately the last 2 games were played against coaches who knew exactly what Lashlee was going to do. Dykes knew the team and played that to his advantage against Lashlee who worked for him. Lashlee learned under him and was his OC. Malzahn has known Lashlee since 7th grade. Let that sink in. The guy coached Lashlee in highschool, gave him his first jobs (along with most of the staff). There is not a single play that on offense or defense that Lashlee could have run that neither of them hadn’t shown him. They knew his offense and defense plays because they were theirs.

These kids got beat by 3 really good teams so far this year. I’m highly optimistic. Rice and Tanner are both highly ranked in the NATION.

These "kids"? Kids? Really?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:10 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:Optimism is on hold for the foreseeable future.

Wise Man

Well at least you have BB
SoCal_Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:29 pm

Going for it on 4th down on our own 35 early in the game is the definition of an optimist,
and doesn't realize the mental momentum let down if we don't convert :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football