PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transferring Out

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Transferring Out

Postby indianmustang » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Transferring Out

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:38 pm

I don't have a subscription, but I see Daniels and Cromartie -- who else?
That seems to be more and more common these days.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:37 pm

Very common for guys who aren't getting playing time and don't see opportunities in their future...and possibly for some who aren't getting the $$ they think they might get elsewhere. Coach Lashlee alluded to this in his interview about the upcoming game with UCF when asked about recruiting plans. This is just the way of the "new world" of college athletics and an additional aspect of roster management
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:45 pm

If they have made their intentions known, seems cancerous in the locker room to keep them on.

No hard feelings, it’s a business decision, but shouldn’t any HC boot a player from the team that refuses to play even before conference games begin?????

Also, if they stay, will they keep taking their monthly NIL pmt???
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:14 pm

Good questions and although they don't show yet in the portal, it's in the news:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:23 pm

Of course all but Nwokobia are now buried in the depth charts. Good question whether once these guys declare their intentions and refuse to play, would they be off the roster, ineligible for NIL payments and potentially jeopardize their scholarships? It hurts being "recruited over" but that's one of the things the portal is doing to more guys than in the past as teams look to upgrade their 2-deep on both sides of the ball.
Charleston Pony

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Rod Daniels is a really good player! Hate to see him go.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:10 pm

If these players make these unilateral decisions (as is their right) I hope SMU isn’t stuck paying for their tuition and having those expenses for players that have quit on the team. Seems only fair to me.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:19 am

Generally if guys transfer they keep their scholarship (at least until the end of the semester). Wouldn't surprise me if they keep their NIL $ too.

The days of "you want to transfer? get out!" are fading and it's all about being super nice to everyone.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 am

mtrout wrote:Generally if guys transfer they keep their scholarship (at least until the end of the semester). Wouldn't surprise me if they keep their NIL $ too.

The days of "you want to transfer? get out!" are fading and it's all about being super nice to everyone.

True enough, and I don’t think anyone would threaten their scholarship this semester, but there has not been much time for any sort of NIL expectations and practices to really become settled. And I think I understand that the players here are trying to maintain an extra year to play elsewhere by refusing to play the rest of the season for SMU. There’s always the chance they would look around in the portal and still return, but yeah, I’d be pretty tempted to not throw more NIL dollars at them. And if the school’s NIL offers to students don’t already say “you’ll owe every penny back if you quit the team mid-season” then I’d bet those contracts will start doing so.

Someday soon we’ll probably see a kid on roster and during the season at School A already getting NIL money from School B. If something prohibits that in the rules I’m not yet aware of it.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:50 am

I know a lot of you may like him because he is perhaps better than others, but Joseph Hoyt intentionally pushed a salacious headline to get clicks on his story. He even admitted to it (commented to an SMU poster on twitter "see - it made you read the story").

His story got pushed around all over the internet as being a mass exodus of key players from the team as others added their commentary to his initial post. That is not all Joe's fault as most just read the headline and never read the actual story which is behind a paywall. (This is a problem in every form of media these days - write an incriminating headline and then bury the actual truth, which sometimes even counters the headline, in the story that no-one will ever read).

If I were the coaching staff, I would be weary of allowing too much access to Mr. Hoyt. He is in this for himself and if he can hurt the program by pushing a SMU story in this way, he will do so just to get attention and get clicks. He will be on another beat as soon as he has the chance.

This is why I would never subscribe to that trash newspaper.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:38 am

I was going to defend Hoyt til I saw the tweet. “Multiple players” indeed. Sensationalism.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTime » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:08 am

ponyboy wrote:I was going to defend Hoyt til I saw the tweet. “Multiple players” indeed. Sensationalism.

Headline was written to cause you to have to read the story to learn more - a story that is behind a paywall - so you can't learn more unless you pay. Every SMU fan saw this and immediately thought worst case scenario - Is Preston transferring? Is Camar transferring?

And then it goes viral.

Case in point - CBS Sports picks up on the original post and then another reporter who does not follow SMU football defines the players as "Major Contributors". Really?

And CBS sports has 1,000 x the reach of Hoyt.

Everyone who has followed SMU regularly knows that this is not as big of a deal as it is being made out to be. But the headlines that are spawned from the original post will make it appear as our program is imploding. Again - people only read the headlines.

Sorry, but this does have an impact on recruiting.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:16 am

PonyTime wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I was going to defend Hoyt til I saw the tweet. “Multiple players” indeed. Sensationalism.

Headline was written to cause you to have to read the story to learn more - a story that is behind a paywall - so you can't learn more unless you pay. Every SMU fan saw this and immediately thought worst case scenario - Is Preston transferring? Is Camar transferring?

And then it goes viral.

Case in point - CBS Sports picks up on the original post and then another reporter who does not follow SMU football defines the players as "Major Contributors". Really?

And CBS sports has 1,000 x the reach of Hoyt.

Everyone who has followed SMU regularly knows that this is not as big of a deal as it is being made out to be. But the headlines that are spawned from the original post will make it appear as our program is imploding. Again - people only read the headlines.

Sorry, but this does have an impact on recruiting.

Perfectly said.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:34 am

For what it's worth, at most newspapers, the writers do not create their own headlines.

Also, boil it down and the job of any paper is to sell papers (or online subscriptions) - without them, they go out of business. So yes, headlines are written - just like the selecting of photos - to make people buy/subscribe/click. It's a business
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Next

Return to Football