PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bold prediction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bold prediction

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:24 am

We will win out. Thats right - wont lose another game. Preston has the "it" factor and the rest of our schedule looks workable. We have Houston at home and they look very beatable. Tulane is our toughest game and somehow we have their number.

Jump on board!
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Bold prediction

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:44 am

gostangs wrote:We will win out. Thats right - wont lose another game. Preston has the "it" factor and the rest of our schedule looks workable. We have Houston at home and they look very beatable. Tulane is our toughest game and somehow we have their number.

Jump on board!

On board! #ponyup
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:10 am

Thanks, gostangs, for your bold prediction. While I share your optimism and believe in the possibility of such results, this Board tends toward cynicism.

As a long-time (and suffering) Mustang, I will endorse and encourage these types of posts. For example, I am appreciative of the current administration, who has kept us in the game of conference realignment discussions (despite more successful programs making the move to P5-land), raising funds for facilities, coaches, and improved media investments, and taking arrows when we deserved criticism.

Let's win out and continue to raise expectations for all of us and those who would want us to succeed as well.

8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BUS » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Lol, but wait, this could really happen. With Stone I can see it.

Jump in the party boat and start rowing!

9 an 4 would be great!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mtrout » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:03 pm

What's the highest we've ever finished in the AAC 5th? Tied for 4th? How about we start by improving on that.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pm

I wouldn't even put a dollar on that bet. If stone is truly named starter then maybe a dollar. The only reason I say this is because we need stones legs more than anything.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:39 pm

I would guess the best we ever did in Conference was 5-3, except maybe the year June took us to the Champ game with Padron against UCF.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:19 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I would guess the best we ever did in Conference was 5-3, except maybe the year June took us to the Champ game with Padron against UCF.

Of course that was CUSA before the Big East/American move
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:24 am

7-5 or 8-4 is still in line with my preseason prediction. Our only unexpected loss so far was against TCU and TCU is much better than anyone could have anticipated. I think 7-5 is very reasonable as Tulane is better than expected but Houston not as good as expected.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:31 am

mustangxc wrote:7-5 or 8-4 is still in line with my preseason prediction. Our only unexpected loss so far was against TCU and TCU is much better than anyone could have anticipated. I think 7-5 is very reasonable as Tulane is better than expected but Houston not as good as expected.

I still think 7-5 is the most likely finish for this team, winning their next 3 games before losing @ Tulane but then finishing with a win vs Memphis. Depending on the bowl opponent, they could still finish with 8 wins which is not a bad start for the Lashlee era. Lose one of the next 2 games and it's Preston Stone time as we try to get excited about SMU football's future with him at the helm...or a new coach and team in Moody!
Charleston Pony

Postby HorsePower » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:44 pm

gostangs wrote:We will win out. Thats right - wont lose another game. Preston has the "it" factor and the rest of our schedule looks workable. We have Houston at home and they look very beatable. Tulane is our toughest game and somehow we have their number.

Jump on board!

Man, I hope you're right. Look at what's left, and Houston, Tulane, Memphis are more than capable. Tulsa and USF on the road aren't cakewalks. I could see us winning as few as 2 more, but I sure hope I'm dead wrong and you're right on target.

See you in Tulsa?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:35 pm

Our path to conference championship just became even more statistically improbable with Cincinnati losing to UCF and our compiling injuries. We will now need to likely root for Tulane to win all games except us, Memphis to beat UCF and Cincinnati to drop 2 additional(Tulane plus 1). That's a lot of ands... possible... going to need chaos. We also need to win out in case that wasn't obvious.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 pm

I just hope we have enough guys healthy to beat Houston. Really hate to lose another home game
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:43 pm

Smumba2009 wrote:Our path to conference championship just became even more statistically improbable with Cincinnati losing to UCF and our compiling injuries. We will now need to likely root for Tulane to win all games except us, Memphis to beat UCF and Cincinnati to drop 2 additional(Tulane plus 1). That's a lot of ands... possible... going to need chaos. We also need to win out in case that wasn't obvious.

so glad there are people like you that can do the maths...and figure out the way that SMU can still be relevant in the AAC race after disappointing losses
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:04 pm

peruna81 wrote:
Smumba2009 wrote:Our path to conference championship just became even more statistically improbable with Cincinnati losing to UCF and our compiling injuries. We will now need to likely root for Tulane to win all games except us, Memphis to beat UCF and Cincinnati to drop 2 additional(Tulane plus 1). That's a lot of ands... possible... going to need chaos. We also need to win out in case that wasn't obvious.

so glad there are people like you that can do the maths...and figure out the way that SMU can still be relevant in the AAC race after disappointing losses

Awe, thank you
Smumba2009
Varsity

Next

Return to Football