PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Schedule 2023-26 announced

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Schedule 2023-26 announced

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:29 am

I can't believe they bothered creating a graphic for this.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:50 am

Come on guys, if you don’t go with divisionless scheduling, then why have so many teams in a conference? This is the only way to play every team in your conference in a reasonable length of time. Most of our road games are well within driving distance. Also we have Tulsa, Rice, North Texas, and Memphis in 3 of the next 4 years which should help attendance. And we are still getting $7M per year per school and good TV coverage.
Last edited by SMUstang on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am

Topper wrote:It is disappointing that 35 years after the DP we have descended into this conference.

Some of it was fun while it lasted. Nothing positive in this line-up. It just keeps getting worse.
Bergermeister

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:00 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I can't believe they bothered creating a graphic for this.

Yeah, this is poor marketing. Promote the good and excellent. Don't shine a spotlight on the floaters.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:and yet I feel more optimistic about our future than any time in the past 25+ years

Strangely, so do I. The closest thing to it is when the Big East stuff was going on.
ponyboy

Postby DallasMustang11 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:35 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:and yet I feel more optimistic about our future than any time in the past 25+ years

Agreed. With positive news about the PAC12 and playoff expansion I see multiple paths to staying relevant.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby GHammond » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:30 pm

Hopefully we can add Trinity, Austin College, Mary Hardin Baylor and Texas Lutheran to toughen this up a bit. Strength of schedule matters.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:10 pm

Everyone outraged about how "easy" the future schedule looks will be REALLY disappointed when SMU can't win championships against that "weak" competition. I assume Memphis and ECU fans are feeling the same and will be equally disappointed if they don't dominate this new group. Outside of the blue bloods, college football and basketball have evolved quite a bit in recent years. Who thought just 5 years ago the "SunBelch" conference would have so many wins against P5 football programs?
Charleston Pony

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:08 pm

I'll keep this very simple if any SMU admins are reading.

If we stay in this conference, I am out. We either need a P5 invite or go independent.

I am a die hard SMU sports fan, but I also value my time. In this conference, watching these teams play is a waste of my time. There's no traditional rivalries and nothing at stake.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:45 pm

Blvd_Stang wrote:I'll keep this very simple if any SMU admins are reading.

If we stay in this conference, I am out. We either need a P5 invite or go independent.

I am a die hard SMU sports fan, but I also value my time. In this conference, watching these teams play is a waste of my time. There's no traditional rivalries and nothing at stake.

I realize bashing RGT & Hart is a full-time sport on this site, but even they are not so clueless as to expand Ford $100M for FAU, Charlotte & UAB.

Call me optimistic.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:10 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:I realize bashing RGT & Hart is a full-time sport on this site, but even they are not so clueless as to expand Ford $100M for FAU, Charlotte & UAB.
Call me optimistic.

...or NTSU, Rice, Navy, East Carolina, Roadrunners, Temple, Tulsa, Middle Florida, Lamar, Tarleton, SFA, etc. Spend wisely.
Bergermeister

Postby SMUstang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Everyone outraged about how "easy" the future schedule looks will be REALLY disappointed when SMU can't win championships against that "weak" competition. I assume Memphis and ECU fans are feeling the same and will be equally disappointed if they don't dominate this new group. Outside of the blue bloods, college football and basketball have evolved quite a bit in recent years. Who thought just 5 years ago the "SunBelch" conference would have so many wins against P5 football programs?

Agree
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:48 pm

I always thought adding UNT was some sort of tell. Why would the AAC want another Metroplex team? Why would we not blackball them? Because perhaps the powers that be knew something we didn't.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Whatever they "know", doesn't mean [deleted] until ink hits paper.

I'd imagine there are still conference realignment moves that will be made, and we're probably top 3 most desirable non-P5 schools left. I'd say SMU, Memphis, SDSU are T1. And T2 would be Boise St, UNLV, Tulane, USF. And then theres Notre Dame, who could easily fill a spot in ACC or B10.

The question is, how much of the remaining re-alignment will happen between existing P5 schools / ND vs G5 promotions. We better hope like hell for the latter.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Will admit I'm not nearly as gung ho on the PAC as so many others seem to be. Smacks of our move to the Big East where as soon as SMU accepts a bid Oregon, Washington, Cal & Stanford move to join USC & UCLA and form the "western division" of the Big 10. That could leave SMU in "no mans land" once again if/when Utah, Colorado and the AZ schools then bolt for the Big XII. Really have to hope in that scenario that the legislatures in Oregon and Washington get involved and prohibit Oregon and Washington from abandoning OSU and WSU. Hopefully the expanded playoffs will motivate the PAC schools to all stay together even if SDSU and SMU become replacements for UCLA and USC.

My worst case scenario is that SMU pulls another Big East fiasco and moves west only to find itself scrambling to find a home once again.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football