PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Schedule 2023-26 announced

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Schedule 2023-26 announced

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Will admit I'm not nearly as gung ho on the PAC as so many others seem to be. Smacks of our move to the Big East where as soon as SMU accepts a bid Oregon, Washington, Cal & Stanford move to join USC & UCLA and form the "western division" of the Big 10. That could leave SMU in "no mans land" once again if/when Utah, Colorado and the AZ schools then bolt for the Big XII. Really have to hope in that scenario that the legislatures in Oregon and Washington get involved and prohibit Oregon and Washington from abandoning OSU and WSU. Hopefully the expanded playoffs will motivate the PAC schools to all stay together even if SDSU and SMU become replacements for UCLA and USC.

My worst case scenario is that SMU pulls another Big East fiasco and moves west only to find itself scrambling to find a home once again.

Couldn’t disagree more. Worst case scenarios is staying in the new AAC.

When the Big East fell apart, we were grouped with the best of the rest. Which became the best G5 and where P5 would poach from. If the PAC loses more programs, I am sure we’re still better off being grouped with what’s left for some Intermediate amount of time.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 pm

Then it’ll be MWC II. Backfill with Boise, CSU, AFA, UNLV. Us OSU, WSU, SDS, UT. Maybe Rice and Fresno.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 pm

MWC II still sounds better than this version of the AAC.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:42 am

I strongly disagree. The MWC is way behind the AAC in viewership, money, and leadership. Give the new guys a chance to prove themselves.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:14 am

SMUstang wrote:I strongly disagree. The MWC is way behind the AAC in viewership, money, and leadership. Give the new guys a chance to prove themselves.

It has a lot to do with time zones. I have always preferred to go east from the central time zone because that's where the majority of the country's population resides. Granted, I'm biased living in N.C. but I hated those 10:00-11:00 pm start times. It's a big part of why the PAC doesn't get the respect they might deserve...just not as many people watching those late night games on the east coast.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby crazy horse » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:32 pm

This feels a lot like the WAC 8, right after TCU departed.

I'm glad for the green folks. I know they are thrilled to move up.

I always felt their addition was a defensive move, as everyone was assuming SMU would be moving soon. I hope that still happens.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Previous

Return to Football