PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Proof of the Spring ... Or we will know when...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Proof of the Spring ... Or we will know when...

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 am

We will know that the team is looking good when the offense moves the ball with consistency. It can always be a case of the defense looking good because the offense stinks, and that proves nothing, but our defense should be better than average so if our offense moves against our defense then that is improvement and bodes well for next season.

Last season our offense could not move well vs. some of the worst defenses in the country so this, to me is the spring barometer. :idea:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:59 pm

I agree. We'll have a decent defense again this year -- I'm not worried about that. But the offense, of course, needs to be priority numero uno. If we can move the ball -- with a brand-new offense and a bunch of new pieces -- against our defense, that will be a start. Not a guarantee of success, of course, but a start.

Note of caution: whether it's Phillips, Romo, Eckert or Meeks at the controls, we do need to remember that there also will be a bunch of young CBs out there. So the numbers and efficiency of the offense might be a bit skewed. But with so many new guys working in a new system, even moderate offensive efficiency will be encouraging.
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Football