PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pre-Tulane updates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pre-Tulane updates

Postby PonyPride » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:01 am

According to head coach Rhett Lashlee:

• Preparation during this shortened week has involved players working out in helmets (without full pads). It's week 11, so not much of "the physicality." Translation: minimal hitting/tackling in practice this late in the season.

• (On the Mustangs being tied at halftime last week against USF): Lashlee thought SMU played one of its more complete games of the season in Tampa. Third-quarter response "was great." When tied at halftime, DL Elijah Chatman was among the SMU players who were "pretty vocal." Mustangs ran "about 50 plays" in the first half, so "we felt like we were wearing them down."

• Tulane's defense is "the best against the pass, I think, in our league." The best thing the Green Wave does, is "they don't give up explosive plays ... in the pass or the run. They're good against the run, they're great against the pass, and they just limit the explosives." Tulane is "not complicated on defense — they're just good. They're going to make you beat them. They're not going to blow a coverage and turn a guy loose. They do a good job of making you earn everything."

• "I don't know if anybody is 100 percent right now, but (WR Jordan Kerley) is as healthy as he has been since ... the first game of the year."

• (On possible AAC championship game) "We knew after losing to Cincinnati and UCF that it — losing those tiebreakers — wasn't good." Got to play one game at a time, start stacking wins — which SMU has — and if the Ponies are able to win the last two regular-season games ... "you never know."

• (On emergence of freshman DEs Isaiah Smith and Je'lin Samuels) "It's been big. Obviously, those guys give you something on the pass rush side of things. When we can get to third down, we can get that speed on the field. It allows us to not have to blitz as much, which allows us to be better in coverage. I think those guys show you what they've got. It's going to be exciting to watch them develop over the next few years. I think they can turn into some real problems for offensive lines."

• (On injuries) CB Ar'Mani Johnson was a game-time scratch last week. "He's OK. We expect him to hopefully be available (against Tulane)" ... DT Steph Wright is more of a game-time decision, but there's more a chance this week than the last several ... The other usual guys — Rashee (Rice), (Tyler) Lavine ... "they're beat up, but they're going to show up and play." G Justin Osborne didn't play last week, "but that was by our design — he'll be good to go."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Pre-Tulane updates

Postby Pony78 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:47 am

Whew, glad we skipped the really physical practice components. If you buy the play like you practice bit, then we are in good shape. Ha. I will be very interested in seeing how physically we play.
Pony78
Recruit

Return to Football