PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The one constant

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The one constant

Postby Arkpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:04 am

I have been an SMU fan since I first enrolled in 1955. I have seen all the good times (the Don Meredith years, the M&M Boys, the Pony Express, the Jim Krebs basketball etc) but the years since the Pye debacle have been difficult on SMU fans. We are constantly encouraged only to seen it come crashing down (letting Larry Brown get away; disastrous re-seating) and coaches come and go, but the one constant is the administration. No major school would have let coaches stay in their position with the results we have seen. But our administration continues on. The one constant in our many, many disappointments and failures is our administration. I am beyond discouraged.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The one constant

Postby BUS » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 am

Reduce the number of Trustees and get some passion back to our leadership.

Ditto Judge.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:33 am

Arkpony wrote: The one constant in our many, many disappointments and failures is our administration. I am beyond discouraged.

Well put.
Bergermeister

Postby Pony78 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:54 am

Arkpony wrote:I have been an SMU fan since I first enrolled in 1955. I have seen all the good times (the Don Meredith years, the M&M Boys, the Pony Express, the Jim Krebs basketball etc) but the years since the Pye debacle have been difficult on SMU fans. We are constantly encouraged only to seen it come crashing down (letting Larry Brown get away; disastrous re-seating) and coaches come and go, but the one constant is the administration. No major school would have let coaches stay in their position with the results we have seen. But our administration continues on. The one constant in our many, many disappointments and failures is our administration. I am beyond discouraged.

Agree
Pony78
Recruit

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:22 am

Sadly nothing will change until we have new leadership.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:39 am

redpony wrote:Sadly nothing will change until we have new leadership.

Define "New Leadership"

If you say "President" do you really trust our board, that has allowed this complacency to exist for 20+ years, to do the right thing?
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:45 am

Arkpony wrote:I have been an SMU fan since I first enrolled in 1955. I have seen all the good times (the Don Meredith years, the M&M Boys, the Pony Express, the Jim Krebs basketball etc) but the years since the Pye debacle have been difficult on SMU fans. We are constantly encouraged only to seen it come crashing down (letting Larry Brown get away; disastrous re-seating) and coaches come and go, but the one constant is the administration. No major school would have let coaches stay in their position with the results we have seen. But our administration continues on. The one constant in our many, many disappointments and failures is our administration. I am beyond discouraged.

When RGT took office 27+ years ago:

SMU was ranked higher academically than today
SMU's Endowment was ranked #40. Today, UCLA is ranked #40 with $4B. We have $2B.

My frustration is more on the academic than athletic side. Combined it becomes anger.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:19 pm

The whole relationship between Turner and the Board is circular. Turner essentially brought them all in so he basically has friends within the Board. He has been here so long that he is absolutely insulated and can do whatever he wants, and leave when he wants. It's crazy to have a university president for this long. One thing would be if we were doing better academically and in sports, but we're not doing that well academically (and worse as Socal Pony mentioned since he took over) and on the athletic front, the two big sports (football and basketball) are failing miserably...
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:41 pm

Sonny Snaykes was 5 - 7 here his first year.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:41 pm

agree with the board issue. IMO part of the problem is that some of those members who lack passion are also graduates. I believe the board should be half the size that it is and should be required to have at least 50% of those members graduates of SMU plus a term limit of 10 yrs.
Sadly we lack the Tilman Fertittas that cougar high has.
redpony

Postby Pony78 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:57 pm

redpony wrote:agree with the board issue. IMO part of the problem is that some of those members who lack passion are also graduates. I believe the board should be half the size that it is and should be required to have at least 50% of those members graduates of SMU plus a term limit of 10 yrs.
Sadly we lack the Tilman Fertittas that cougar high has.

But we do have…David Miller! Oh wait, one of RGT’s best friends. Never mind.
Pony78
Recruit

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:17 pm

Yep, yep, yep. I agree with the assessment of the situation. Unfortunately, what are we sports fans to do? I intend to honor my commitment to the current capital campaign, but I'm done giving money to SMU after that unless and until we get a new administration that cares about athletics to the same degree that we who post on this and other boards do. I've expressed this to the development folks and they confidentially agree, but Turner is a dinosaur that needs to go for the long-term sake of the school, IMO.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:54 pm

I stopped giving because of Turner 2 years ago.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Arkpony wrote:I stopped giving because of Turner 2 years ago.

I regret that I didn't do the same.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:16 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Sonny Snaykes was 5 - 7 here his first year.

Yup......... and it wasn't his first year as a head coach. Lashlee will grow and improve. I'm optimistic with him at the helm.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Next

Return to Football