PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Lashlee Post-Game Comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach Lashlee Post-Game Comments

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:22 am

If you don't watch the whole video, don't miss the question & heated answer at 1:03 mark

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Coach Lashlee Post-Game Comments

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:30 am

At least Lashlee doesn't use tons of coach-speak and stands in there. Lots of mention about not be able to stop the run which is true.

Before the game, SMU was giving up 4.7 yards per rush and Tulane was averaging 4.4 per rush. However, last night the Greenies gained 7.4 yards per rush on 42 attempts!

Tired players from quick turn at USF? Tulane hosted UCF and then hosted the Thursday night game. Increased injuries?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:39 am

Certainly all the early 3-n-outs from the offense didn't hep the D against Tulane's rushing attack.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:If you don't watch the whole video, don't miss the question & heated answer at 1:03 mark

https://youtu.be/4WwrfhklCrA

It is a good thing he is frustrated, but we all know the definition of insanity, we must

do a better job of teaching these guys how to tackle, and maybe a special teams expert.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:35 pm

That was the great Billy Embody, that had the balls to ask the tough questions.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:43 pm

He should be embarrassed. It's a normal question. He got more angry with the question than he did by the poor execution of the team during the game.

if he wants to have a shot to turn things around, he needs a new DC and special teams coach. If players can't tackle, that is just embarrassing. Zero excuse.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:53 pm

It’s a tough question, and not a “dumb” our out-of-bounds question. AND, it’s totally understandable that Coach Lashlee got frustrated by it only a few minutes removed from the game.

I’d much rather our coach show clear frustration in that moment, than I would him show a total calm and dispassionate response…if those were my only two options. If I had my druthers he wouldn’t have called the question “dumb”, thereby being insulting a good reporter/analyst. But, if I were in his shoes I am sure my level of frustration would have me acting on emotions too.

If your coach doesn’t care, you have no chance. There is no doubt Coach Lashlee cares. And, I happen to think he’s a good coach that will continue to get better. And I still think that even after last night’s game. If he can get the team up for Memphis after they are out of the running for the conference and on the heels of last night’s debacle, that will tell us something.

As for the tackling, I believe you can only tweak than in-season. But a huge component to good tackling and physical play comes from the genetic make-up of the players. And I don’t think we have enough guys with both the 1) fire in the belly to tackle aggressively and 2) cognitive spatial relationship talent to consistently take good angles and leverage. Recruiting will have to be part of the fix. It’s noteworthy that the staff benched at least one of our starters last night for bad tackling. So accountability is there.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:14 pm

Coach take the gum out of your mouth when you are being interviewed!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Arkpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:18 pm

DC-Pony wrote:It’s a tough question, and not a “dumb” our out-of-bounds question. AND, it’s totally understandable that Coach Lashlee got frustrated by it only a few minutes removed from the game.

I’d much rather our coach show clear frustration in that moment, than I would him show a total calm and dispassionate response…if those were my only two options. If I had my druthers he wouldn’t have called the question “dumb”, thereby being insulting a good reporter/analyst. But, if I were in his shoes I am sure my level of frustration would have me acting on emotions too.

If your coach doesn’t care, you have no chance. There is no doubt Coach Lashlee cares. And, I happen to think he’s a good coach that will continue to get better. And I still think that even after last night’s game. If he can get the team up for Memphis after they are out of the running for the conference and on the heels of last night’s debacle, that will tell us something.

As for the tackling, I believe you can only tweak than in-season. But a huge component to good tackling and physical play comes from the genetic make-up of the players. And I don’t think we have enough guys with both the 1) fire in the belly to tackle aggressively and 2) cognitive spatial relationship talent to consistently take good angles and leverage. Recruiting will have to be part of the fix. It’s noteworthy that the staff benched at least one of our starters last night for bad tackling. So accountability is there.

Watch Embodys analysis of the tackling problem. I think he is spot on.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:45 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:He should be embarrassed. It's a normal question. He got more angry with the question than he did by the poor execution of the team during the game.

if he wants to have a shot to turn things around, he needs a new DC and special teams coach. If players can't tackle, that is just embarrassing. Zero excuse.

Yup. Too much money being thrown around to continue to exist in the "yay we did sports" protective bubble.

I feel bad for the fan who is spending a significant % of their money donating to this program because it seems like they're the ones that care the most.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby jkflamebo » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:34 am

Embarrassment indeed. Shocked no one is canned or resigned after the performance. I don't recall seeing tackling as bad as that at FBS level before. We are not a serious program and do not belong in PAC or ACC.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:08 am

jkflamebo wrote:Embarrassment indeed. Shocked no one is canned or resigned after the performance. I don't recall seeing tackling as bad as that at FBS level before. We are not a serious program and do not belong in PAC or ACC.

Single game, single season performance is not a qualifier and disqualifer for P5 access. Most of it is: market, time zone appeal, academic appeal (PAC/ACC/BIG) and sports investment.

If sports performance was the end all be all then Boise St should have been in the PAC by now. SDSU is 6-4 and has some bad bad games with no notable wins and yet they're the top dog.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football