PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A bit shocking

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A bit shocking

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:39 am

I know some fans may be venting, but it's a bit of a shock that some are already calling for Coach Lashlee to be fired even before he finishes his first season! Really? If we beat Memphis at home on Senior day next week, we have a 7 game win season. Isn't that much better than June, Chad, and Sonny's first season? Sure the talent may be better now, but 7 wins is also better. I believe since 2014 SMU has had 4 different head football coaches. That's is not the way to success. Are you people crazy? Fire the guy after one season with 6 or 7 wins?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: A bit shocking

Postby mustang1108 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:21 am

I too have found these reactions shocking. I am not saying he’s not at fault for some of his coaching decisions this year like last night and against UCF, but he is a first year head coach. When we hired him to be our HC most said this was a great hire. He had history here at SMU and was a highly respected coordinator. Look at what Miami is doing without him this year. People are acting like he’s been a terrible coach when we’ve had for worse over the years, see Cavan and Bennett. Despite the mistakes this year has not been a failure. Looking back at who everyone considers a savior to SMU, Ron Meyer did not have a winning season until year 5. Year 5!!! That would have gotten any coach fired in 2022. He didn’t turn the corner until he had the best team that money can buy. Now if there aren’t improvements in year 2 sure start the hot seat, but for now relax and try to enjoy what we have left this season.
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby Donnell88 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:43 am

Yes, I agree it is too early to fire Coach Lashlee. But last night's performance, the only college football game being televised at that time, was simply pathetic. Even the announcers pointed out that our defense appeared to have quit.
It was beyond embarrassing to be down 49-7 in the 3rd quarter against Tulane, ie, not Georgia or Ohio State. The players did a great job of living up to our school's nickname - Spoiled Millennials University.
And you can't coach effort - you demand it. Yes, the players bear responsibility for their lack of effort but that doesn't exempt the coaching staff from criticism. After all, it is in their job description to have the team ready to play.
I acknowledge we are now bowl eligible, which means we will probably play some team from Conference USA or the Sun Belt. And I won't be surprised if we get blown out again on national TV. Say what you like about the "minor" bowl games but they are usually the only football game being televised in that time slot.
And I invariably get the impression that teams really enjoy beating up on SMU - is that because we used to be really good or because we were caught cheating? (We weren't the only ones but that's a story for another day).
Donnell88
All-American

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:I know some fans may be venting, but it's a bit of a shock that some are already calling for Coach Lashlee to be fired even before he finishes his first season! Really? If we beat Memphis at home on Senior day next week, we have a 7 game win season. Isn't that much better than June, Chad, and Sonny's first season? Sure the talent may be better now, but 7 wins is also better. I believe since 2014 SMU has had 4 different head football coaches. That's is not the way to success. Are you people crazy? Fire the guy after one season with 6 or 7 wins?

I am venting, not in the "fire the coach camp", but very frustrated that we at least didn't
seem prepared to play on the big stage once again, I realize this is his first season, but last
night was terrible, we better be ready for Memphis, or it is the usual November dumpster fire.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Tulane is #25, and could be poised to be the next Houston or Cincinnati in the AAC.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:32 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:I know some fans may be venting, but it's a bit of a shock that some are already calling for Coach Lashlee to be fired even before he finishes his first season! Really? If we beat Memphis at home on Senior day next week, we have a 7 game win season. Isn't that much better than June, Chad, and Sonny's first season? Sure the talent may be better now, but 7 wins is also better. I believe since 2014 SMU has had 4 different head football coaches. That's is not the way to success. Are you people crazy? Fire the guy after one season with 6 or 7 wins?

I am venting, not in the "fire the coach camp", but very frustrated that we at least didn't
seem prepared to play on the big stage once again, I realize this is his first season, but last
night was terrible, we better be ready for Memphis, or it is the usual November dumpster fire.

Getting the guys to care about Memphis will be a challenge.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:42 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Tulane is #25, and could be poised to be the next Houston or Cincinnati in the AAC.

That's terrific! It's always someone else of course poised for success. When will SMU actually achieve that?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:55 pm

People are frustrated, dude. Nobody is really serious about cutting Rhett free...but after sitting through that shi_ sandwich last night with friends Old Forester and others, folks say crap. Needs to right the ship, beat Memphis State, win the minor bowl game V Western Kentucky, recruit some Butkus Jr kids and figure this thing out, hopefully by 9/2/23. PonyUP!
GHammond
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:23 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Tulane is #25, and could be poised to be the next Houston or Cincinnati in the AAC.

That's terrific! It's always someone else of course poised for success. When will SMU actually achieve that?

We did, It was called Moody Magic, and then our AD....

clipped the wings of the MOB
Allowed Keith F to meet the NCAA without legal representation
Provide the NCAA with info to hurt our program
Without fighting, bent over and accepted a way over-the-top NCAA punishment
Did the reseat

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

and I still maintain LB would have stayed at SMU years longer if we handled it differently.

Mark Cuban attended games and wrote about it, commending SMU on its game day experience. Our AD literally broke every Cuban commandment on how to treat your fans.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:58 pm

so cal- your comments are totally correct. sad thing is there will be no changes. our AD bows to rgt and he cares less about the success of our sports programs.
redpony

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:18 pm

redpony wrote:so cal- your comments are totally correct. sad thing is there will be no changes. our AD bows to rgt and he cares less about the success of our sports programs.

Little Ricky, and R.G.T. are both just empty suits that show up for the cameras.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:26 pm

GHammond wrote:People are frustrated, dude. Nobody is really serious about cutting Rhett free...but after sitting through that shi_ sandwich last night with friends Old Forester and others, folks say crap. Needs to right the ship, beat Memphis State, win the minor bowl game V Western Kentucky, recruit some Butkus Jr kids and figure this thing out, hopefully by 9/2/23. PonyUP!

100%
ALEX LIFESON

Postby peruna81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:56 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:
redpony wrote:so cal- your comments are totally correct. sad thing is there will be no changes. our AD bows to rgt and he cares less about the success of our sports programs.

Little Ricky, and R.G.T. are both just empty suits that show up for the cameras.

I believe the proper and relevant term is "Sock Puppet"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 pm

I vented as much as anyone Thursday night but now I'm at the beach and a couple of beers in so life is good again and I ill remain optimistic that SMU will figure things out eventually and that we will compete for conference championships again at some point in my lifetime...and no we don't need to fire our rookie coach. He's a gambler and his team was simply overmatched Thursday night so his gambling style caused that game to get out of control earlier than it should have. The good news is that Memphis won so they won't come in next week needing to win to be bowl eligible. That gives me hope that we might actually win another home game this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:02 pm

I just wish we could find a coach who could figure out how to play defense.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football