PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tanner Mordecai plans to enter 2023 NFL Draft

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tanner Mordecai plans to enter 2023 NFL Draft

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:33 pm

shadowman wrote:I would hope that Mordecai and Rice sit out the bowl game, as they should

Couldn't disagree more. They are two of the main reasons we're bowl-eligible, and we have two chances left to see them play in red and blue. I want both of those chances, and hope they light it up in both games.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:38 pm

mtrout wrote:If they're going to sit out the bowl game, will they sit out Memphis game?

I cannot get this question out of my mind. If they were not going to play in the bowl game since it really has no meaning on the season and they do not want to risk injury, why would they not sit out Memphis since it has no meaning on the season and they would be risking injury?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:07 pm

mrydel wrote:
mtrout wrote:If they're going to sit out the bowl game, will they sit out Memphis game?

I cannot get this question out of my mind. If they were not going to play in the bowl game since it really has no meaning on the season and they do not want to risk injury, why would they not sit out Memphis since it has no meaning on the season and they would be risking injury?

From a team standpoint, the game has meaning because a win can lead to a better bowl than a loss.

As for the players, it come down to whether they think their body of work is complete or not. Many players will skip the bowl game but generally only injured ones will skip regular season games.

Or since it is Senior Day, maybe they just play the opening possession?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:26 pm

From a team standpoint a bowl win could mean more recruiting success. I am very much against anyone sitting out the bowl games. And yes I know the repercussions that can occur. But I bet they do not sit out the combine if invited. Why risk that injury?

And so I do not show to be a total hypocrite, I am one that believes other than the top 10 or so bowls (including playoff games) win or lose is irrelevant since so much depends on emotions and attitudes rather than the win factor.
mrydel

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:46 pm

Other than the playoff bowls the bowl season has devolved into largely exhibition games designed to reward players / coaches and to generate product for ESPN etc….so I have no issue with players skipping to pro are for the draft. The reason none skip the Combine is because it’s a non contact display of physical ability….rarely does someone suffer a career ending injury at the Combine.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:21 pm

Pony81 wrote:Other than the playoff bowls the bowl season has devolved into largely exhibition games designed to reward players / coaches and to generate product for ESPN etc….so I have no issue with players skipping to pro are for the draft. The reason none skip the Combine is because it’s a non contact display of physical ability….rarely does someone suffer a career ending injury at the Combine.
But again, if skipping the bowl is to risk injury, why not skip the Memphis game too?
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:16 pm

mrydel wrote:But I bet they do not sit out the combine if invited. Why risk that injury?

Some players go for the interviews but don't partake in the drills. https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/why-roo ... fl-combine & https://blackandteal.com/2022/02/28/eva ... g-combine/

mrydel wrote:But again, if skipping the bowl is to risk injury, why not skip the Memphis game too?

I'm sure the thought crossed their mind, but they have to draw the line somewhere. When the team is eliminated from CFP contention? From conference title contention? From bowl eligibility? Or as soon as they have enough game action on tape for pro scouts to evaluate?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:57 am

CA Mustang wrote:
mrydel wrote:But I bet they do not sit out the combine if invited. Why risk that injury?

Some players go for the interviews but don't partake in the drills. https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/why-roo ... fl-combine & https://blackandteal.com/2022/02/28/eva ... g-combine/

mrydel wrote:But again, if skipping the bowl is to risk injury, why not skip the Memphis game too?

I'm sure the thought crossed their mind, but they have to draw the line somewhere. When the team is eliminated from CFP contention? From conference title contention? From bowl eligibility? Or as soon as they have enough game action on tape for pro scouts to evaluate?

Only a matter of time until someone somewhere follows the last approach.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:15 am

They need to make sure players don't get paid for this kind of crap somehow.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Arkpony » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:45 am

Didn’t a tackle for Houston just stop playing waiting to be drafted?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:03 am

Arkpony wrote:Didn’t a tackle for Houston just stop playing waiting to be drafted?

In that case (and the others I've seen), the player was injured so the focus was on rehabbing for the draft rather than trying to return to the field that season.

There have always been players that quit a team during the season (for various reasons), so is preparing for the draft that much different?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:10 am

I understand all the reasons ($$$$$) for doing it. But being an old codger, when we practiced, we went full speed, tackling included, every Wednesday practice during the week and would not have imagined not playing in a bowl game.
mrydel

Postby soccermom » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:34 am

If healthy I think all players should play. I don’t think it should be an option. Part of having committed to the team.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TCU Alum » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 pm

mrydel wrote:I understand all the reasons ($$$$$) for doing it. But being an old codger, when we practiced, we went full speed, tackling included, every Wednesday practice during the week and would not have imagined not playing in a bowl game.

This.
Team sports require a commitment to your colleagues. You commit to play the whole season which includes all the games, no matter what they are called.
We had a prima donna running back last year who self limited the number of plays he would run in any given game. He then followed the $$ to Georgia and was beaten out by a more talented freshman. Now that he is going to the draft, I wonder if he wishes he had more tape to show the NFL scouts? I doubt that his former teammates give a crap about him one way or the other.
TCU Alum

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 pm

Arkpony wrote:Didn’t a tackle for Houston just stop playing waiting to be drafted?

I stopped playing 20 years ago. Still waiting to be drafted.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football