PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the Memphis game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the Memphis game

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm

This one comes a bit early, because I was sick all week and couldn't go to the game.

Honestly, what a great, gutsy win.

When the defensive line got absolutely pulverized the first two drives of the game, it was really disheartening. And then when Tanner gets hurt... there were a lot of reasons for the whole team to throw in the towel. The disappointment of the season, the performance at Tulane... everything seemed to be building up for a horrible performance in front of a small crowd in nasty weather. But the team really pulled together and fought to get a win to close out the season. Really a ton of credit has to go out to the players and coaching staff for pulling that out. A great way to set a tone going into bowl practices and the offseason.

I know there have been some frustrations this year. But really, we are 7-5 and all 5 losses are against teams that will finish in the top 25 (except Maryland, who would have been top 25 if the QB had stayed healthy all year). This was the hardest schedule we have played in quite a long time, and under Sonny I don't think we would have won the Houston or Memphis games.

Tanner - comes out that he has actually been playing through a broken rib since the TCU game. So I think we are learning that we need to listen to this coaching staff when they talk about folks playing through injury. Gutty performance to come back in today, and really to fight through the whole season. Fantastic TD pass to Rice. I won't blame Tanner if he sits out the bowl in order to prep for the draft. But I really, really want him to play and set the program record for TD passes in a career. He deserves to have his name in the record books.

Rashee - now it comes out that he had a broken toe, not turf toe. Wow. Still led the country in receiving. What a great year and just a great guy destined for great things. Looking forward to seeing his name called on day 1 or day 2.

The offensive line didn't do well at all early in the game, but performed much better as the game went along. We had a half speed Lavine and WR at running back, and we still managed to keep a running threat, and that says a lot about their performance. As usually, Tanner was kept pretty clean in the pocket. This may actually be the best pass blocking group in college football this year. Lavine you can't say enough about how much he gutted things out. And while I know that Daniels as a running back is the emergency button, I'm glad we saw it because it really highlighted how explosive he is.

You know, another bit about Daniels. After his muff in the Tulane game, and the disaster non-fair catch in this one, it would have been really easy for that guy to sulk, get his head down, and just trudge back to the bench. But for that dude to pick his head up, run for 3 for 25, catch 2 more, and end up with both a nice kickoff return and punt return.... kuddos! He has really had a lot of stuff this year happening to him, and to fight through it all and end the season with this game, that just says awesome things about a young man's character. I really, really hope that he doesn't transfer, but even if he does, I'll root for him wherever he goes.

Defensively, the defensive line had a really rough day. I'm still disappointed that we don't see enough 4 man line play and we send the 4th guy out in coverage a lot. Would love to see us get after the QB more, but I guess we are hiding coverage deficiencies. But you know the team really shaped up as the game went along. Phillips was good. J Burns continues to flash from time to time. Moses was running all over the place early when he started for Massey. Nice to see Crossley get an interception, because he was having a pretty good day with a couple of PBU until he got fooled on that 4th down call on the quick snap. And the PBU that Rogers had was one of the most instinctive corner plays he has made since he got here, turning around when he saw the receiver look up so that he could make a play on the ball and not get an interference call.

I know the game may have been frustrating at points, but that was a good Memphis team that we beat. Great team effort and proud of the players and coaches for fighting through a lot of adversity.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts on the Memphis game

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm

Read that Rashee is playing in the bowl game. Hope Tanner will also.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Nicely done, JasonB.

I look forward to your posts before and after the games
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

What exactly did the player do to get the unsportsman penalty towards the end?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:01 pm

crazy horse wrote:What exactly did the player do to get the unsportsman penalty towards the end?

You don't talk to the refs...that is the coach's job. Talking to the refs is equivalent to talking to an LEO without a lawyer.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:08 pm

crazy horse wrote:What exactly did the player do to get the unsportsman penalty towards the end?

I have no idea, but it must have been pretty bad, because Roberts said something to the ref and it was an immediate flag.
JasonB

Postby deucetz » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:23 pm

I hope you feel better. Your insights into the game are one of the reasons I continue to read this board.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Topper » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 pm

Jennings is poised and throws a nice pass. Lashlee did a nice job bringing him on board and we couldn't have won today or at Tulsa without him.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby dalpony » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:04 am

Jason B - your the best - wishing you a speedy recovery
dalpony
Varsity

Postby BUS » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:24 am

Jennings is awesome. Come in and we get down the field, throw passes,run. Quite fun!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 am

It was nice to see the other team choke for once.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:48 am

BUS wrote:Jennings is awesome. Come in and we get down the field, throw passes,run. Quite fun!

Yup! Change of pace seemed to fire the team up.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 pm

PlanoStang wrote:
BUS wrote:Jennings is awesome. Come in and we get down the field, throw passes,run. Quite fun!

Man. Looking at the online photos from the Morning News, there is a fantastic photo of Jennings. His look is stone cold focus. So excited for his, and SMU's future.
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm

well travelled pony wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:

Man. Looking at the online photos from the Morning News, there is a fantastic photo of Jennings. His look is stone cold focus. So excited for his, and SMU's future.

Some guys are just winners. Hope we can keep both Jennings and Stone for the next 3 years
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 am

JB, great stuff. Thanks very much!

I share your overall sense of positivity coming out of this game. The game itself was a gut-check performance. Those first couple Memphis drives were like a knife cutting through melted butter. They seemed to foreshadow a demoralizing blowout. But, the Mustangs turned things around. Moredcai and Rice - among others - gutted out great performances despite injuries. The defense showed resilience and stiffened just enough. And, the team as a whole rebounded from a tough, tough Tulane game.

Thoughts about the year as a whole:
- We started the year on a 2-3 run. We ended the year on a 5-2 run.
- We won two games within which we were down to our third string QB. How many teams, coaching staffs, and third string QBs across the country can claim that?
- We bounced back with wins against tough opponents following our only two lopsided losses.
- We were "in the hunt" through halftime of every single game except the Tulane game.
- Our offense showed lots of shots downfield again and also evolved the running game during the course of the season to ensure for a balanced attack even with heavy injuries to the backfield.
- The defense was not as stout as I think we expected, but there are signs of improvement in the backfield and signs of emerging stars. Offseason: TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE!
- All the above occurred with a new coaching staff and on the heels of missing out on the latest Power 5 expansion moves last season.

I know we're all looking for championships and movement into a Power 5 home and eventual post season playoffs, none of which came this year. But, this year showed some incremental improvements.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds in terms of Power 5 movements and how well poised we are for the expanded playoffs come 2026 (if not already in a power 5 by then).
DC-Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Football