PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Article: Copeland's Notepad

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Article: Copeland's Notepad

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:44 pm

http://www.smumustangs.com/index_full.a ... rt=general

Let the unwarranted slamming begin...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:39 pm

...that's right because we know the only appropriate and acceptable ripping on this board by "loyal Mustangs" like you is against Shumate, Rossley, Cavan, Dement and Bennett. The administration with their "competitive" Model and Commitment and Copeland who has presided over a pathetic program which has failed to win a FB championship, a BB Championship, a Bowl Bid, an NCAA Tournament bid, a Conference Tourney Championship and only 1 winning Football season over HIS ENTIRE TENURE is beyond criticism. Quite an impressive record by Big Jim which I'm not sure has been duplicated in the ENITE NATION by another program over his tenure. Certainly there is no example of such ineptitude in Texas but I wonder if ANY Division 1A program has been such a BUST across the nation. I'm nominating Big Jim Copeland for No. 1 in the Athletic Director Bottom Ten rankings. Fair? No but he seems to have no problem judging his coaches while at the same time passing this BS that SMU is and has been committed to compete and that his coaches had a fair opportunity to compete. What's fair to the goose is fair to the gander. By his own standard, Big Jim fails his own test.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:17 pm

Sounds like "Big Jim" aka Copeland, or Copeland has a pseudo author who jazzes, and pizazzes ( in Mustang Band terminology) his attempt at communication a little.

His quote was something like " I got a status report from Dement every year or 2 on how we're doin. " after Dement was fired. He attends most BB games near Turner.

They're both puppets from up above.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:54 pm

pretty harsh, guys. No question about it, though. This is an important hire for Copeland, as was Bennett. If someone doesn't turn around our fball and bball fortunes SOON, we might as well shut it all down. We will soon lose a generation of loyal boosters that aren't likely to be replaced by the alumni who graduated from SMU in the past 20 yrs. Most recent grads probably don't even realize SMU is still competing at the Division I level.
Charleston Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Copeland successfully used that entire page to tell us absolutely nothing. Thanks!

It's a good idea, but lacking substance (the memo). I actually emailed Copeland asking him to do such a thing. For a look at what an effective, informative effort along these lines, take a look at the following, from the other school which gets my family's season ticket $$:

http://www.lsusports.net/ad/sportlink.c ... ersidechat
RGV Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:01 am

I like that.
Bergermeister

Re:

Postby PK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:59 am

RGV Pony wrote:Copeland successfully used that entire page to tell us absolutely nothing. Thanks!

Exactly what would you consider "something" as opposed to "nothing." No AD at any school is going to list names of prospective coaches during a search if that's what you are alluding to. He did let you know that there is obviously very good interest in the program by existing head coaches as well as assistants and the fact that the formation of the search committee was almost complete.

As for your LSU link...they have a little different situation over there, being part of the BCS with a few more bucks to throw at a ghost writter than we have...not that the information put out was all that exciting, entertaining or earth shattering. The link was to their archives which makes it look like lots of information. This was Copelands first edition...how about giving him time to put out a few more editions before we decide if the articles are worth while or not.
PK

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:59 am

Has Vanderbilt gone to a bowl game in the last seven years or to the dance? I don't think so. But then again, they just did away with their athletic department, so there is no AD to nominate. I don't know about Baylor, maybe in basketball they've been to the NCAA's, but I can't remember when, and they haven't done anything in football since joining the Big XII. UH has been pretty inept that last decade until this year (when Briles took over). East Carolina has not been very competitive either. Another name on the list will soon be Penn State. They have done nothing in football the last three years, nor have they gone to the NCAA tournament. Indiana and Duke have been inept in football, but make up for it in basketball. Army would be another school that qualifies.
EastStang

Re:

Postby MizterTea » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:14 pm

Stallion wrote:...that's right because we know the only appropriate and acceptable ripping on this board by "loyal Mustangs" like you is against Shumate, Rossley, Cavan, Dement and Bennett. The administration with their "competitive" Model and Commitment and Copeland who has presided over a pathetic program which has failed to win a FB championship, a BB Championship, a Bowl Bid, an NCAA Tournament bid, a Conference Tourney Championship and only 1 winning Football season over HIS ENTIRE TENURE is beyond criticism. Quite an impressive record by Big Jim which I'm not sure has been duplicated in the ENITE NATION by another program over his tenure. Certainly there is no example of such ineptitude in Texas but I wonder if ANY Division 1A program has been such a BUST across the nation. I'm nominating Big Jim Copeland for No. 1 in the Athletic Director Bottom Ten rankings. Fair? No but he seems to have no problem judging his coaches while at the same time passing this BS that SMU is and has been committed to compete and that his coaches had a fair opportunity to compete. What's fair to the goose is fair to the gander. By his own standard, Big Jim fails his own test.

I understand your point (we all do - by now) - but still think that you are aiming too low - the Board of Trustees and the acedemic establishment has handcuffed the entire athletic department. Copeland never instituted the Pye Model (and I wonder if he would have taken the job if he truly understood its ramifications)

Mr. T does not endorse or dismiss this position - BUT if you are really upset- why not continue to send you money to the Mustang Club to help the sports teasm - but tell the school you will not be giving it any further donations until it makes it a priority to help the athletic department get respectible football and basketball teams (instead of allowing them to become a source of embarrassment for the school and alums)
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:33 pm

I'm not aiming too low just pointing up the chain of command where this BS starts spewing to the public. Copeland is a professional athletic administrator who most certainly knows better than the crap he put out that SMU is fully COMMITTED to winning. He said it-he judges coaches based up that standard and so he vouches for the message and should be judged accordingly.
Stallion

REJOICE!!

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:52 pm

For I predicted all that would doubt...and it has come true. I have prophetized the doomsayers and destruction that they all preach.

Now follow me, my brethren, as we drink from the cup of Copeland and Bennett's cold iced tea.

Whence forth and follow, for we shall rise again. Victory has not been easy, but it is on the way.

Follow me, drink the tea, and ignore the naysayers. We have...

A Man, A Plan, a Canal - PANAMA!!

(now spell that backwards, seriously, spell it backwards).

GUESS WHAT!!?!?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby leopold » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:50 pm

Has Vanderbilt gone to a bowl game in the last seven years or to the dance? I don't think so. But then again, they just did away with their athletic department, so there is no AD to nominate. I don't know about Baylor, maybe in basketball they've been to the NCAA's, but I can't remember when, and they haven't done anything in football since joining the Big XII. UH has been pretty inept that last decade until this year (when Briles took over). East Carolina has not been very competitive either. Another name on the list will soon be Penn State. They have done nothing in football the last three years, nor have they gone to the NCAA tournament. Indiana and Duke have been inept in football, but make up for it in basketball. Army would be another school that qualifies.

As best as I can tell, SMU would be at the bottom, comparatively speaking, to all of those programs in the big two sports.

With the exception of Vandy every school in that list has gone to a bowl within the past ten years and did it against a tougher schedule, and since Vandy has only gone to three bowl games in their history blaming the current whoever is useless. But Vandy will be attending the dance this year and has been a fixture in the NIT over the years while playing in what some might call the best basketball conference in the country. AND they are not cutting sports and are top twenty five across the board in all the olympic sports.
Obviously since they play in the SEC they are at an enourmous disadvantage in football that we are not, and "getting rid of the Athletic Department" only made public what everybody else knows - it's academics above everything else. That is a level of honesty we can only dream of.
It's also the biggest difference b/w Vandy and SMU -- Vandy looks it's alumni, supporters, conference mates, and opponents in the eye and says "We've got bigger things to worry about" and goes about it's buisiness, good or bad (and don't even mention Army). SMU says "no, no, we are really going to try this time" and then ignores fundamental differences between themselves and thier opponents.

As much as it pains me to say it, SMU is below all of those schools in the sports people care about, and we are here because of our own fault.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football