PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RIP SWC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: RIP SWC

Postby SMUstang » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:21 pm

SMUstang wrote:Where are they now?

Texas, Arkansas, A&M - SEC
Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston - Big XII
SMU, Rice, UTSA, North Texas - AAC

My bad, among the Texas schools, Houston will be in the Big XII in 2023. And UTSA and North Texas will be in the AAC. However Texas won't be in the SEC until 2024. The underlined schools are former SWC schools. The italicized school is non-Texas.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:47 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:
SMUstang wrote:Where are they now?

Texas, Arkansas, A&M - SEC
Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston - Big XII
SMU, Rice - AAC

FIFY. No need to list new (UTSA) or third-rate (UNT) programs that were never in the SWC.

Houston was not a member when I went to SMU. There was the Big 8 to the north and there were only 8 teams in the SWC...SMU, TCU, Baylor, Tech, Arkansas, Texas, A&M & Rice

Ok, and Tech is a latecomer too, and we’ll leave out the Oklahoma schools from the 1920s. But the final eight should all be included when we compare.

This is the second time post-SWC that SMU has been alone with Rice on the lowest rung, I think.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:12 pm

SMU and Rice were together in the WAC and also in C-USA before the AAC.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 pm

Competing for championships just got easier!
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am

SMUstang wrote:SMU and Rice were together in the WAC and also in C-USA before the AAC.

Yes but my point was about SMU and Rice being alone in the worst position. TCU was in there too, and early CUSA (Houston) wasn’t clearly better than early WAC.
Last edited by Dukie on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 am

TCU said they would never be left behind again. And they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Houston did also. SMU is finally trying to do the same. Rice?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:54 am

Tulane got lightning in a bottle with Willie Fitz.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:54 pm

We are about to enter the worst conference we’ve ever been a part of. The current AAC to this is analogous to the step down from the SWC to the WAC. We had better strike soon or we may be done forever.

At the very freaking least, we need a new “best of the rest” conference. The new AAC will not do.
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:59 pm

ponyboy wrote:We are about to enter the worst conference we’ve ever been a part of. The current AAC to this is analogous to the step down from the SWC to the WAC. We had better strike soon or we may be done forever.

At the very freaking least, we need a new “best of the rest” conference. The new AAC will not do.

Maybe we'll finally make a conference title game.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:24 pm

mtrout wrote:
ponyboy wrote:We are about to enter the worst conference we’ve ever been a part of. The current AAC to this is analogous to the step down from the SWC to the WAC. We had better strike soon or we may be done forever.

Maybe we'll finally make a conference title game.

Don't bet on that...unless Lashlee & Co can significantly upgrade the roster via the transfer portal. Tulane is likely to become a more attractive "2nd chance" destination than SMU and UTSA might come in and compete for a title right away. Then there's the always tough Memphis & ECU who are both probably thinking like SMU that they will have a better chance of "dominating" this conference. I would not rule out a comeback from USF in the not too distant future after their announcement they will be building a new on campus stadium. At least we will be competing with Rice again, so there's that!
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:43 pm

The 3 schools leaving the AAC is a gut shot alright, but Tulane showed us this year that it wasn't fatal. I agree that UTSA and maybe other C-USA teams may enter the conference and immediately compete for the title. And any of the other legacy teams could also make a run as well.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby TCU Alum » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:37 am

Charleston Pony wrote: At any rate, I think Baylor was the Cubs, Rice the Owlettes, Texas the Shorthorns, TCU the Tadpoles but I really can't remember. Some of the older guys who were Colts should remember

https://www.espnhonolulu.com/2020/05/20 ... sey-ortez/

TCU was the Wogs.
TCU Alum

Previous

Return to Football