PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane

Postby birddogger » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:08 pm

Congratulations to Tulane. Even though we stumbled through our AAC schedule, I'm consoled that no BigXII emigrant won the conference championship this year.

Before we get too jealous or cast too many stones at our administration for our lack of success (admittedly, I have rock in hand), let’s look at Tulane’s record since Willie Fritz took over the program. His record: 2016: 4-8; 2017: 5-7; 2018:7-6; 2019:7-6; 2020:6-6; 2021:2-10; 2022:11-2; overall record: 42-45. Tulane has the benefit of continuity from Fritz and a wealth of talent from NOLA, but this is his first and only successful season in 7 years.

There’s no reason why we can’t achieve a conference championship, too, but we do need to allow time for our neophyte staff to mature. I don’t get the impression that anyone here wants to jettison the staff, even though we all second-guessed them from time to time. It’s pretty clear that the program went through growing pains this year and the staff must adjust, particularly on the D side of the ball.

The university’s general administration is another issue. I’m more upset with Turner because of SMU’s steady decline in the academic rankings during his tenure. He’s the definition of mediocre. I will be withholding my donations to the university until he’s gone, regardless whether we make a P5 conference.
birddogger
All-American

Return to Football